I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choosing Rod Blanks For Builds
Posted by: Lin Amann (---)
Date: April 14, 2020 08:44PM

Hey Guys,

Newbie here so forgive me if some of my questions have been covered. I've looked around in past history and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Do you know of any Rod Companies that will use different blank manufactures for different product lines? Or do they try to use the same manufacturer for all their builds? Obviously, this question is for companies that do not produce their own blanks. For example; A company using MHX blanks for their bass series of rods and then using either Phenix or Liberty blanks for their Inshore series of rods?

I know lots of companies don't disclose what blanks they use so I wondering how much of this goes on and takes place, if at all? I know hobbyists do this all the time but was wondering more about actual "for profit" companies.

Another question regards profit margin and the selling price of rods (which i know has been beat up a lot on this site)

I have my high-end build blanks dialed in and no problem choosing those.

My issue comes with choosing blanks for lower end builds. Something that runs around $150-$170 total to the consumer.

I want to give the customer the best quality product I can but with margins that make it worth while for the time/labor spent.

What are most of you using for a build that runs $150-$170? I know this is a loaded question because some people on here buy blanks/components at retail, some at wholesale and some at a super discount for those who buy in large bulk.

I"m not asking for what manufacturer you use (i.e.-MHX, Phenix, Liberty) ... but what grade of graphite would you typically use for a build that would sell for $150-$170.00? (Please assume that all real seats, handles, guides are above average quality ... Lets say Fuji products/grade A cork. Lets also assume there is no decorative work done to the rod. Just a basic build)

I'm assuming that most will say SCII (standard) or SCIII (intermediate) type of graphite (using St. Croix blanks as an example). I find that the standard 33 mil modulus rods will give me a better margin vs the intermediate 43 mil modulus rods but wonder how much I'm sacrificing for the customer just to make a few more dollars. I have fished with plenty of SCII rods and enjoy them immensely but just wanted to get other peoples opinions.

Any info that you guys can share on either topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2020 09:03PM by Lin Amann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choosing Rod Blanks For Builds
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 15, 2020 06:04PM

I don't build a rod for under $450.00

If a costumer wants a rod for $150-170
Send them to Bass Pro Shops

Posted by: Paul Park (---.bcstcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 15, 2020 08:26PM

How much do you value your time? I feel like production rods at $150 are going to be better in almost every way provided that customers pick the right brand.

For example, let's say you're building a 7' freshwater Medium Power Fast Action spinning rod with "above average" Fuji components. That would imply Fuji Alconite SS guides at the least, with their "premium" reel seat. Guides would cost you around $35, Reel Seat would be around $5-$10 depending on the model. Add in 20 dollars for nicer cork. You're left with $80 to $90 to include your labor, epoxy, winding checks, and the rod blank. Let's say it's a simple rod with single color guide wraps and it takes you all of 3-4 hours to measure guide placements, dry fit, ream, align guides, and finish a rod. If you bought a $50 blank, you've effectively paid yourself less than $10/hour.

There are sales, company backed warranty, and resale value for production rods, so you'd be effectively competing with the $200 rods at a build that costs $110. I think most builders would find that difficult and most customers would rather go with a production rod.

That's unless you find a crazy sales for sourcing your parts.

Posted by: Lin Amann (---)
Date: April 15, 2020 09:49PM

Thanks for the reply!

Your inference to the production companies is kind of where I was going with this.

Are these production companies (small or large) more likely using SCII graphite or SCIII graphite for their builds that will retail for $150-170 dollars in stores? Obviously they will be getting product at wholesale pricing.

Just trying to understand what type and quality of rod I would be getting if I were to pay that price at a Bass Pro, or similar place.

Posted by: Paul Park (---.bcstcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 15, 2020 09:59PM

That would depend on the company... Since you're talking in St.Croix terms, you can see exactly which blank they use on their website. [stcroixrods.com] No need to hide which blank you use when you make your own blanks

Looks like their $140 St.Croix Mojo Bass uses their SCIII blanks.

I have a Daiwa Tatula, which have around the same quality of parts and it's plenty sensitive and weighs in around 3.5oz. I have no idea how it compares sensitivity wise to a St.Croix, but their HVF blanks are light, sensitive, and damn hard to beat at the $150 price range.

My Rainshadow Immortal is lighter and more sensitive, but easily double the price since I bought the Daiwa for $110 on a sale.

Posted by: David Miller (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 19, 2020 10:42AM

Pretty sure the St Croix Mojo Bass is using made in Mexico SCII blanks and wrapped there as well. These blanks can be bought from Rod Geeks Bass 2 line for about 60 to $70 not including shipping but you can build it the way you like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster