I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rolls Royce of roller guides
Posted by: Mick Murphy (2.24.123.---)
Date: April 13, 2020 03:15PM

Ok lads as the title says what’s the Rolls Royce of roller guides, the make, materials and why this will be for a 120 lbs class marlin and bluefin tuna trolling rod let us know your thoughts cheers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rolls Royce of roller guides
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---)
Date: April 13, 2020 03:22PM

winthrop

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 13, 2020 09:14PM

Mick,
Be prepared for a lot of personal preferences. When getting right down to it, all of the common big name brands such as Winthrop, Aftco, Stuart are all good, reliable products. I have recently become very fond of All American Roller Guides but have only used with their @#$%& series for spiral-wrapped roller guides, the only such rollers in existence. They are excellent quality and personally manufactured and assembled by the owner and his wife, Steve and Laurie Gusslin in Tustin, CA.
I may be incorrect, but it is my understanding that Aftco was first to design the “arched hinge frame” which allows the feet of the roller guides to flex with the rod under load. Most other brands are similar variants as this must be an understandable attribute. Although I cannot remember where I saw them or the manufacture’s name, I have seen machined aluminum frames with pivoting feet which is an outstanding idea but their price was equally outstanding. When speaking of expensive rollers, the CF framed Delca rollers from Italy come to mind as well.
With the performance being excellent with most of the brands of rollers, I vote for All American Roller Guides because the guides perform so flawlessly they have a lifetime warranty, plus Steve and Laurie are the nicest people anyone would expect to ever meet.
None the less, I will follow this post to learn from other contributors.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: April 13, 2020 10:21PM

Don't forget to check the Alps rollers from Batson. My favorite.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 14, 2020 10:42AM

Hello All.

I have used all the rollers mentioned except the Alps (I may have to change that), but all the guides I've tried have been good, my favorites are the Aftco Big Foot Super Heavy Duty & the Winthrop Excel Series.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mick Murphy (91.110.159.---)
Date: April 15, 2020 02:13PM

Hello lads, Mark I checked those All American titanium rollers out and they look great plus price was very good compared to most of the others, I have never built a roller guide rod before, but looking at the rollers they all seem to be similar and work in the same principle so the all titanium ones for just over a $100 bucks a set seem the way forward to me and thanks for all the info much appreciated lads cheers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster