I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MICROWAVE GUIDE SPACING???
Posted by: Mark Emaus (50.124.34.---)
Date: April 13, 2020 02:16PM

Hi guys,

Ok, so I have 2 Rainshadow 6'2" spinning rod blanks (fast and xfast) for walleye jigging. From an earlier post, it was suggested to place reel seat at around 8 to 10 inches from the butt. With the microwave guides, I now have, they overlap of how American would space the guides. They have a 2 step process in measuring. First is to measure from the lip of the spool and place the stripping guide at 19.5. Transition guide at 30.5 and running guide at 39.87. These 3 are larger than the rest. Doing this will overlap 2 of the rest of the guides. kit comes with a total of 9 guides.

So would you eliminate 2 guides, eliminate 1 guide and respace the rest, or respace all of the remaining guides? If you do the latter, would you put more weight in spacing closer together at the tiptop?

Thanks

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MICROWAVE GUIDE SPACING???
Posted by: Ken Patek (---.tamp.fl.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 13, 2020 02:33PM

The spacing of the 1st 3 guides are critical (the stripping, transition, and 1st running guide) to "controlling" the line as it comes off the reel. The rest of the running guides, as far as placement and qty., are dictated by the length of the rod and the action. In other words, static test and see what works. I use these guides a lot on 7' and 7'6" blanks. Being your application is on a 6'2" blank, it wouldn't surprise me if you need less guides than what were provided in the kit. So...place the 1st 3 in accordance with the directions, and static test to determine the qty and spacing of the running guides.

If you're not familiar with static testing....look it up. Its critical to custom building.

Hope that helps.

Date: April 13, 2020 02:53PM

Thanks Ken, I static test my fly rods. These are the first spinning rods that I have built. I am thinking that I would use the same way to static test the fly rod as a spinning since the guides are on the bottom? Would you agree? I also saw a video on spacing spinning rods with one extra guide towards the tip. It was suppose to make the action better for jigging. Would you agree with that?

Mark

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2020 04:01PM

You don't have to use 9 guides just because the kit came with that many.

Date: April 13, 2020 04:39PM

Great talking to you today Mark!

Drop 2 off and static test.. you are on the right track

Let me know if you have any more questions.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 04:40PM by Don @ American Tackle.

Date: April 13, 2020 05:35PM

Don, lol I did not know you were on here...Thanks for your help. Any thoughts on the overlap?

Date: April 13, 2020 05:39PM

Mark Emaus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don, lol I did not know you were on
> here...Thanks for your help. Any thoughts on the
> overlap?

I am everywhere....

the 3 from the reel are the most important ... adjust the rest as necessary.. static test for perfect set up for your blank

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Ken Patek (---.tamp.fl.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 14, 2020 10:55AM

Mark Emaus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Ken, I static test my fly rods. These are
> the first spinning rods that I have built. I am
> thinking that I would use the same way to static
> test the fly rod as a spinning since the guides
> are on the bottom? Would you agree? I also saw a
> video on spacing spinning rods with one extra
> guide towards the tip. It was suppose to make the
> action better for jigging. Would you agree with
> that?
>
> Mark.

Yes, on a spinning rig, the guides would be on the "bottom" or "inside" of the curve when you are finding the spine. Well, thats how I do it, some do the opposite, and some find the straightest axis to put the guides on. When you are static testing, the guides should be on the bottom.

As far as the extra guide towards the tip....I guess I can see the logic in it, but I personally don't do it. Curious if the time, cost, and additional weight of that guide would be worth it......my guess would be no. However, one thing with rod building.....the only way to know for sure is to try things, and form objective conclusions....versus relying someone else's subjective opinions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster