I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Looking for help on finesse blank
Posted by: Casey Rendall (---)
Date: April 12, 2020 03:08PM

Looking for some help in choosing a blank for the next build. Currently using a Rainshadow Revelation 68lf 4-10 1/16-5/16. Aldebaran 15 with hedgehog bfs bearings. Distance is decent, but I know I will need a 6’10 to 7’1 blank on the next build. My problem is that I only have had access to a Phenix k2 682c. Always wanted to build a k2 blank, however I’m asking for suggestions as I do not have the liberty to feel up most of the stuff for any finesse blank where I’m at. I would like something a little faster than what I’m currently using, but the power of what I have now is fine. If I have just a tad more that would be okay for me, but not necessarily needed. Also, I have looked at a few major sites such as Getbitoutdoors and Mudhole and have seen quite a few “paper” choices, but don’t know how they actually fish.

Don’t like larger butt diameters and I think for this rod 4.5 I would say may be on the larger side. The rods I have seen that interested are:

Phenix k2 713
K2 712. And not sure to build casting or spinning version as I’d like a faster action.

Mudhole elite-x nsj841
Mudhole elite pro neps82LF
Mudhole drop shot ds820 blend
MHx sj841 light spin
MHx light spin s842 (from their light freshwater lineup)

Rainshadow immortal popping IMMP70ML

Bushido DS/694-10. (This is on the larger diameter side and larger tip size)

Side note, I have my dad using a RX7 70ML popping blank built for spinning for these applications and has worked well, but I’d like more sensitivity.

Primary lake I fish is more of a highland style lake with standing trees, steep drop offs in some parts, chunk rock, jagged boulders, bushes and sticks in some shallower areas. Different habitat if that helps.

Ultimately I would primarily throw 1/8 Ned jig or 1/8 Trigs with finesse 4 inch worm or small craw or creature bait. Occasionally going to a 1/10 Ned on shallow finicky fish and 3/16 Ned jig for deep water below 20 ft. For this I fish a lot of deeper water in the 15-25 and sometimes 40ft range. Sensitivity is key and being able to load and cast these rigs with Baitcasters and 8-10lb braid and 6-8lb leaders. I noticed I have been losing some larger fish I’ve been hooking once they come up and throw the hook on a jump or head shake...and they have been in the 5-8lb range, which breaks my heart lol. Thanks for suggestions and if anyone has direct experience with the blanks or suggestions it would help a lot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for help on finesse blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 12, 2020 05:33PM

Larger diameter blanks can mean a faster and more powerful blank for the same weight, not a bad thing.

Date: April 12, 2020 06:15PM

That part I do understand. Trying to feel out some input on any of the blanks or any others I haven’t seen online that would fit in nicely. Normally, I would just get up and drive the 3hrs to FTU in Texas and feel up some rods they have there, but in the current state I’m not going to risk that drive. Their selection was mostly their ftu in house blanks, a couple Phenix blanks, rainshadow blanks.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---)
Date: April 12, 2020 06:50PM

I have built a number of rods with the MHX NSJ870 and it is the best rod I have found for fishing 1/16-oz. hair jigs and Ned rigs. I have built a couple of rods using the MHX NSJ871 which I use for 1/16 oz tubes, 1/8 hair jigs and Ned rigs. They are the best rods I have used for these presentations. I have used similar blanks from St. Croix SCV and Loomis GLX. I like the performance of the MHX better.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Date: April 12, 2020 07:09PM

Thank you

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 13, 2020 11:43AM

What are the distinguishing characteristics of a "finesse blank"? I looked in the Rodbuilding.org Glossary and did a Google search but found nothing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 04:56PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2020 12:04PM

Even though yo indicated "Don’t like larger butt diameters", I would recommend the Point Blank PB701 MLF. I have loved all of the Point Blanks that I have built. A great tip with plenty of backbone!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: April 13, 2020 01:44PM

Don, does that rod load with 6lb line and able to cast something in the 1/10oz Ned range on the low side with mostly 1/8?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 13, 2020 03:43PM

Both the PB701LXF and PB701MLF will do what you want. As Don suggests they are great blanks. They load very well with a broad range of lure weights.
[pointblank.reviewyoursite.biz]
Norm

Date: April 13, 2020 04:40PM

Definitely be looking into these as well. Thank you

Date: April 13, 2020 05:10PM

I'm thinking about getting into finesse fishing. Now I know a finesse blank loads well with a broad range of lure weights. I'm sure there's more, but that's a start.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 13, 2020 06:49PM

It's another of those bass technique specificity things Phil. Google it.

Date: April 13, 2020 07:18PM

Mostly light line, small lures, light lures, generally total weight bout 1/8 and under

Date: April 14, 2020 09:26AM

Lynn - I did Google "finesse blank" and got nothing [see above]. Google it yourself and see. Does "finesse fishing" mean using certain types of lures, or a special type of casting, or a certain amount of weight? I ask because there is obviously disagreement about what is meant by "finesse fishing" and the equipment necessary to practice it. I might be a finesse fisherman already and not even know it?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 14, 2020 10:23AM

Hello Phil.

Try Googling this:

"Finesse Fishing 101: Mastering Finesse Bass Fishing Techniques"

Hope this helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Date: April 14, 2020 11:25AM

Thanks, Robert. It appears finesse fishing is fishing for bass in cool water with light lines on spin rods using small baits/lures moved slowly. Turns out I have been a finesse fisherman for decades and never knew it!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 14, 2020 07:41PM

I didn't tell you to google finesse blank. But no matter, problem solved.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 15, 2020 05:55PM

Finesse fishing, it's definition and the rods used are to a certain extent dependent on where your fishing, deeper, cooler, cleaner reservoirs allow lighter lines, offerings and rods, just the opposite for shallow, weeder, heavier and more structured waters. Tidal and higher flow rivers are the same, you have to match your gear to the situation.

Posted by: Paul Park (128.194.2.---)
Date: April 17, 2020 02:29PM

I believe he's more specifically looking for a BFS(Bait Finesse System). BFS is typically focused on using a baitcasting reel with a UL or L power rods rated anywhere from 0.5g(1/64oz) to 6g(1/4-ish oz) and throwing lures. Most tend to spool with 50-80 yards of 6lb braid or 4lb Fluorocarbon. Since a baitcaster needs to pay out line using a revolving spool, the spool needs to be lightweight and specialized. There are reels that are made specially for this technique (Shimano Aldebaran BFS, Daiwa Alphas Air, etc) and have a more market presence in Japan.

It was originally made for high altitude stream lure fishing for trout. Some of the advantages touted by the BFS community was the increased casting accuracy, gentler presentation by thumb spool control, and no line-twist/wind-knots. There are a few obvious disadvantages to the system such as more expensive equipment, smaller market for rods and reels, limited lure ranges, line capacity, backlashes, and etc. Bass fishermen have adapted the technique in order to fish for finicky bass in winter times, pressured conditions, or to make the fight more fun. Same disadvantages apply to BFS Bass Fishing as does in BFS Trout Fishing.

A lot of BFS fishermen resort to custom rods in order to meet their needs, or order budget Chinese rods from AliExpress.

All this to say, it's for a rather specific portion of "Finesse Fishing" that he's asking for. I believe a M or ML power rod would be more suitable for your applications using 1/8oz weights. The soft plastic bait itself will easily add another 1/8oz and make it a 1/4oz bait anyways. 1/4oz can be thrown on any ML or M rod. If you're looking into throwing 1/32 jigheads with a smaller plastic bait, you can look more into the UL or L power rod.

I built a Revelation(RX7) REVS610MLXF into a spinning rod, using it for 1/10oz drop shot weight with a small drop shot bait and for 1/15oz ned heads with a Z-Man TRD. I've had no issues throwing the 1/15oz Ned rigs. I've heard great things about the K2 blanks in general and in the BFS community. I think you would be fine with any ML spinning rod blank rated for around 1/8 on the low end. Although, in the standing trees and weeds in the shallow area, I would look more towards the Medium to get better hook penetration with those 1/8oz ned rigs...

Date: April 22, 2020 07:42PM

Yes, sometimes I will be throwing the Ned jig 1/8oz on the upper end and id like to be able to throw down to 1/16+ tiny trailer for crappie and panfish and turn around and throw the Ned rig or 1/16 oz trig with the likes of the zoom tiny brush hog or 1/16oz finesse bass jig. 6-8lb leaders only because where I fish has tons of chunk rock and boulders and brush and timber. The other day my dad and I put over 65 bass in the boat and I had one 6lber and one almost 8 on my current setup. At certain times the lake I fish gets too much pressure and the bite shuts down and then the tiny craw imitations are go to for all the fish including pan fish which I got a 10,12” blue gill and 14” redear last week as well.

I ended up ordering the K2 713 due to it being the only model in stock couldn’t find the 682 or 683. I really did want to keep blank butt diameter down and weight down and I chose between a MHx 6’10 light and the K2. I do know they’re aren’t in the same category, but I was looking for low butt diameter and tip ability to throw smallmlures and they were basically rated the same. Ultimately came down to me deciding that a new steez CT SV was on the list and I’d go high end all the way with torzite guide set I already have laying around and American tackle carbon grip and split handle. If this turns out to be just like the rod I have now, I’d be very happy...if the power is a tad more, it will be a nice ml rod and if I do the like setup I will look into a K2 682 for more of a true bfs setup with an aldebaran bfs and avail spool.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster