I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

American made guides and reel seats
Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2020 07:34PM

Are there any known american made guides and reelseat manufactures. I plan to build a 100% amercian rod while off work on vacation the next few weeks. I thought American Tackle was American made and just found out their not. Yes I know there are good products from all over the world. I just feel its wrong to use my stimulus money buying stuff from anywhere other than the United States

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American made guides and reel seats
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2020 07:41PM

Perhaps REC.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 11, 2020 09:17PM

Snake Brand guides are made in Battleground, WA.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 11, 2020 10:03PM

Travis,
Such a noble idea/desire deserves further exploration! All American Roller Guides are just that; fabricated by the owner Steve and his wife in Tustin, CA but then you are probably not looking for rollers. While I realize you are looking for American-made components to purchase, what rod would be more custom than one with builder fabricated guides and reel seat? The reel seat is easy = Tennessee handle. The guides would certainly be more involved to produce but, none the less, could conceivably be fabricated from bent 302/303/304 stainless steel, possibly even 316 SS or even grade-2 titanium wire. McMaster Carr has SS wire in “bend and stay” and “spring back” conditions, assumedly annealed or heat-treated. While line-grooving would most likely be an issue, the prospects and possibilities may be worth pondering. You have got me thinking (oh, no, not again). Thanks (I think).

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: April 11, 2020 11:03PM

It would kind of help if what type of build you were interested in constructing

Date: April 11, 2020 11:21PM

I build bass and walleye rods. I ordered some NI titanium wire already to try and make some guides. I did see recoil is american made but way out of my price range. This covid stay at home has me stir crazy!!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 11, 2020 11:46PM

Travis,
I am thoroughly impressed you have already purchased nickel/titanium wire; I don’t know if it is the same alloy as the Recoils but that really does not matter. You are a better man than me; where did you find it?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: April 11, 2020 11:54PM

Get you a 3 D printer and get after it.

Date: April 12, 2020 07:30AM

I ordered in on @#$%&. There is black wire as well. Search Nitinol wire. Seems pretty strait forward to make the same type of guides. There are Youtube videos on how to form the wire. My goal was to be able to purchase the parts from an american made company. Not produce all the parts myself. PS RECs Patent for using the wire for guides is rock solid hats off to them on that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2020 07:32AM by Travis Thompson.

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2020 09:22AM

REC Components in Stafford Springs, CT makes reel seats, guides and a number of accessories. Snake Guides as someone else mentioned are made in Washington state. 'merica!

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2020 09:23AM

Do not forget Lemke reel seats as well!

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 13, 2020 11:26PM

Just thought id pop in.. I have the stuff.. Havent acually gone through with it yet, but this is directly from mark crouse on how he did his build with the crocodile guide..

Get some purple carving wax, its a little harder, so you can shape it nicely with sculpting tools.. Once your happy with the guide design, send it to a company that does casting, for me Pittsburg would be the go to place... Im right above philly, but pittsburg is known for their quality in casting molds, theres aboit a 2 week turn around.. Then, talk to a local jeweler.. Get german silver.. Or make it yourself, if memory serves its 20-20-60 being 20% zink 20% nickel and 60% copper, google is a @#$%& of a good place to research it.. Cast them..

That way they arent just "American made" they are truly custom made.. But realistically speaking, its nearly impossible to build a 100% american made rod.. Something, weather it be the binding tape, the resin, the scrim, or @#$%&... The clear coat on the blank is made outside the US..

Guess i forgot the most important step.. Find guides that have decent rings, i would shoot for something with shock rings for easier extraction, and place the ring into your newly made guide.. Make sure to mold little lock tabs to grasp the ring.. A trip to that jeweler wouldnt be a bad idea to help set the ring too.. They are kinda good at doing settings... Lol

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 15, 2020 07:52PM

Keep at it you guys! In another hundred years you'll catch up with Fuji. lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster