I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1 PC 7wt fly blank suggestion
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2020 06:35PM

David, perhaps I was not clear enough with my comment about performance. I should have said that 1 piece rods did not "outperform" multi -piece rods enough to deal with all the negatives of a 1 piece. The evolution of multi-piece blank ferrules is now to a point wher one would be very hard preesed find any benefits in a 1 piece.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2020 09:49AM

Several years ago St. Croix. made two-piece surf rods; butt end 51" long, tip section 74" long. They were fine rods and easy to transport but apparently the uneven sections were not accepted by anglers - and fly fishers tend to be more set in their ways than surf casters.

Posted by: David Miller (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2020 10:50AM

With all due respect Phil Ewanicki St Croix and Rod Geeks still makes 70:30 split surf rods and they are very popular and accepted by anglers. I do agree with you they are very fine rods. Many folks were used to 1 piece surf rods from Lamiglas and others so a 8 ft tip section on a 11’ is certainly easier to transport but still have a 1 piece feel. Do agree with you that fly fishers are set in their ways.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2020 01:12PM

Glad to hear those rods are still being made! I still use them all the time for bait fishing in the surf. I haven't bought a new rod in some time.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 07:48PM

We (North Fork Composites) have one piece blanks in our fly section:

[northforkcomposites.com]

8, 9, 10, 12

All are 9 feet, and while we don’t have a 7, I downline the 8 and can still get “a lot” of distance with it. Let us know if we can help.

Best,
Alex

Posted by: David Miller (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2020 10:09PM

I didn’t know that you guys make 1 piece fly rods Aleks. Transport and storage issues aside which rod performs/feels better on the water the 1 piece or the 4 piece?

If North Fork Composites made a 7’ to 7’9” max 6 to 7 wt fiberglass one piece I would be all over it. It would be perfect to use from a kayak.

I noticed Fed EX Ground and Home Delivery takes tubes up to 9’ that would be much cheaper than USPS for blanks about 8’4” to 9’.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster