I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

matching line, rod, and user
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 09, 2020 10:52AM

For fly casters it is imperative to match the line to the rod and match both to the ability of the user to achieve acceptable casting performance. Any observations on matching the line to a spinning or casting rod and/or the caster's abilities?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: matching line, rod, and user
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2020 10:55AM

With a fly rod you cast the line. With a spinning or casting rod you're casting a lure, bait, sinker, etc., so there really isn't any importance to matching a line to such a rod other than making sure the angler isn't using such an odd size that he's either endangering the rod or failing to match the line to the fish, conditions, etc. The line has little to do with casting, other than realizing that smaller, limper line will allow longer casts.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 09, 2020 03:10PM

I once suspected that the best choice of guide number, sizes, and spacing on casting rods and spinning rods in particular could be influenced by the physical characteristics of the lines the angler uses. Monofilament lines, fluorocarbon in particular, seem to behave quite differently than so-called "super-braid" lines?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2020 04:37PM

They're stiffer than braids in general, so guide set-ups for those, in some cases, require larger and/or taller guides depending on the application.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 09, 2020 08:22PM

Is that why I experience so much trouble putting 40lb mono on my 750 UL spinning reel?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2020 01:09AM

I think when the new braided lines came out it kinda threw a monkey wrench in the whole process. Really put a lot of light and medium tackle to the test because the small diameter line will just not break off like the mono. Many of the aspects of people using braid changed a lot of the way rods would need to perform as well as reels. We just put it on and did the electric cool-aide acid test.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 10, 2020 08:41AM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think when the new braided lines came out it
> kinda threw a monkey wrench in the whole process.
> Really put a lot of light and medium tackle to the
> test because the small diameter line will just not
> break off like the mono. Many of the aspects of
> people using braid changed a lot of the way rods
> would need to perform as well as reels. We just
> put it on and did the electric cool-aide acid
> test.

Agreed Lance..the braids were a game changer..for me the biggest change was in spin fishing..i used to use spinning for mainly pan fishing but with thinner and stronger braids it became a great tool for bass fishing so much so that conventional reels were restricted to flipping and pitching.. also spinning always had faster retrieving speed in it,s favor..and the rods were already simple spirals..lol.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: April 10, 2020 09:00AM

Thru trial and error I have learned that some lures are more effective with the Monos, Fluoros and Copols and other lures are more effective with the Braids. For ME I select the most compatible line to mate with the lures I use rather than trying to use the line most compatible with the rod I am using. I have one rod with braid another with a Mono and another with a Fluoro and this system works well for ME.

As long as the line test is within the blank manufacturers recommendation IMO I don't think the rod knows or cares what line is being used.

In the final analysis it is the competence of the fisherman that makes any rod work to its full capabilities.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 10, 2020 10:32AM

i mentioned earlier how braid brought spinning back for bass fishing but would also like to say that it is bringing fiberglass rods back for me too..we were fishing a locale farm pond with 1/8 oz. chatter baits and my nephew mentioned how he couldn,t feel the chatter bait until it was half way in..i said, try my rod..on the first cast, he said i can,t believe it, i feel the chatter as soon as i started the retrieve..i said that my rod is also fiberglass..his rod was carbon but his line was mono while i was using braided line which made my E-glass rod more sensetive than his carbon rod..sure you can put braided on the carbon rod and get the performance of my glass rod but not much more and i built the glass rod for less than it cost me for the 300 meter spool of braided line..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster