I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide foot bleed thru
Posted by: Albert D Allbritton (---.dr01.aplv.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2020 08:21PM

I need advice from more experienced folks than I have. I have noticed some pretty severe bleed thru (in my opinion) on the foot area on one of my wrapped guides. While I can see a little thru on pretty much all of the guides it is really nasty on the stripper foot. I ground the leading edges of the feet and used a permanent black marker to color the bared foot then wrapped with Fishhawk nylon. I prepped the thread with three coats of CP before I applied the epoxy finish. Should I have used black paint? Is this my problem? Is there any way to repair this mess? Wrap over it with more thread? Cut it off and start over? The thread was orange so I expected to see a "little" thru it, but this is unacceptable. TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide foot bleed thru
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 08, 2020 08:42PM

i use cp alot but i also never color the guide foot..no reason to.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 08, 2020 09:27PM

Albert,
I rarely use nylon thread in favor of NCP. I also rarely use CP. I do slightly dress the tip of guide feet to produce a smother, less abrupt ramp, admittedly against the advice of many including Jim Ising of AR and Fuji. Since I use NCP thread, the color (difference) of the dressed foot is no issue. I have experienced permanent markers such as Marks-A-Lot may bleed a bit when coated with epoxy in other applications though. May I suggest finding and using model car/boat/airplane paint but test it first. I have also heard that latex or acrylic paint is not affected by most common epoxies but have no experience and thus cannot justify the claim.
As for rectifying your present problem, all I can offer is live with it or start over. While adding another layer of thread would cover the issue, it would add weight and make the wrap look bulbous compared to the others. Good luck.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2020 10:25PM

If you are talking about a dark shadow like appearance under the orange thread, it is due to a dark (black) subject under a light colored thread. If you had used yellow thread it would be even worse!

If you have something like a black guide foot to go under a light thread (even with CP) you would be better to use a light, even whit paint on the guide feet. Bottom line......the thread just isn't opaque enough to cover the black!

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 08, 2020 10:43PM

be sure to do a good packing and burnishing job..and after the first cp coat, do another burnishing before applying the second cp coat..but like Phil says the thread is probably too light..

Date: April 08, 2020 10:54PM

DUH!!!! I forgot to tell y'all it's on a white blank..................OOPS

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 08, 2020 11:35PM

Albert,
Why is seeing a guide foot through the thread a problem.

I like to see the guide foot as it gives the rod a bit of interest.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 09, 2020 07:38AM

As stated, the problem very well may be insufficient packing. What you're trying to do is a tough assignment. I don't know how to salvage it. If it were a rod I was going to use myself, I'd leave it alone.

I'm not a fan of Fishawk thread, but don't know if it's part of the problem. I use Prowrap or Fuji, and have no trouble with Flex Coat CP, never more than two coats, but I use liberal coats and blot off the excess after a few minutes.

All I do to guide feet is a few light brushes of sandpaper right at the tip of the foot, across the foot, to allow the thread to climb the foot. I don't know what guides you are using, but that's all Fuji's need. I think that really grinding on the feet is asking for trouble.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 09, 2020 10:38AM

I suspect "permanent" black marker is not at all permanent in the presence of a number of different solvents.

Date: April 09, 2020 09:11PM

Thanks, fellows. It is for family use so in service the rod goes. I' with you Phil on permanence. Y'all gave me some gr8 pointers

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2020 10:17PM

Black guides, on white blank, with orange thread.....................guaranteed shown through that can be exacerbated by poor packing! I use a black Sharpie considerably and never had epoxy effect it at all.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 10, 2020 09:23PM

When building on white blanks I use white fingernail polish to cover the foot. Sally Hansen hard as nails is my brand of choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster