I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What Are The Most Profound Aspects of Rodbuilding?
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2020 10:08PM

1. The vast knowledge obtained from the posts.
2. Micro guides
3. The Fuji GPS
4. The ability to build a light weight rod that out performs anything you can buy off the shelf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2020 10:11PM

Sorry. mistake on this post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2020 10:11PM by Ed Kramer.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 09, 2020 10:38PM

Thank you for the on-going replies. I would like to hear from the veterans as well, especially concerning the transition from bamboo-to-FG-to-CF. Don’t be shy, let’s all have some informative fun!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---)
Date: April 10, 2020 02:19AM

After 30 some years of building I have learned many things about the hobby/addiction. Number 1, I was, in my early years, too rigid, paint-by-the-numbers and locked into formulas and methods I had read or viewed. It was stressful then and I was always feeling my builds weren't good enough! Then I went to one of those first few 'Big Shows' in North Carolina.. Visited Tom's shop and he was there. He just so 'matter-of-fact' style showed me how to lock down a guide wrap in 2 turns. It set a tone that I have never forgotten! 'How willing great builders are to share their knowledge' and they are not very judge mental. They have been there done that too! Then at those early shows I ran in to the likes of Randy Putter, Mike Barkley, Ralph O Quinn, Bob McKamey, Doc Ski,Rich Forhan, the Batson boys and they were all similar to Tom. If they had the time, they gladly showed you techniques and tips. I enjoy building today so much and consider it a gift to be able to do so. I, and I suspect we, in our building prowess, whatever it may be, are a direct product of all the builders who have influenced us!!!! The longer I build the more I am great full to them. Things that are now profound: 1. My builds are all the BEST I could do at this time! 2. Fancy equipment is NOT a necessity to make a great custom rod! 3. Home made jigs and tools add both ease and great satisfaction to your builds! 4.The more your hands and eyes and coordination are involved and not electric or digital machinery, the more it is truly custom! 5. Each new build is a 'Snowflake Rod' .... beautiful and no 2 the same! Build and enjoy while you can and share what you know with other builders. It is a great hobby!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2020 11:13PM by Steve Cox.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 10, 2020 03:27PM

Steve,
Thank you for taking the time to offer all of us your excellent reply. While technology is required for the advancement of our world, all too often it eliminates or forgets the craftsmanship of yesteryear. I appreciate the beauty and rock-solid performance of almost anything hand-crafted versus cheap things with designed-in planned-obsolescence spit out by machines by the thousands. Things used to be built to last but today they are built to be replaced to increase profits. Actually, automobiles may be an exception.
While there are certainly different levels, all of us rod builders are craftsmen, some more custom than others. But whether building from a kit or growing and harvesting you own cork for a grip, we all craft each rod with our own two hands (and wish we had a third at times). Those are the best rods available.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---)
Date: April 10, 2020 03:38PM

Thanks Mark

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 14, 2020 09:46AM

The biggest changes in fishing rods since I began fishing have been graphite rods, tip-over-butt ferrules,and epoxy finishes The last big change in guides was well before my time. I had an antique split bamboo fly rod with guides consisting of small rings dangling from keepers - much like the wire hook-keepers found on some of today's rods. The fly line passed through these dangling rings.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 17, 2020 06:22PM

Great question and topic!! I am a simple sentimental guy. Some of my most prized possessions are my Pa's Hunting knife, My grandpas screwdriver (at least 100 years old) and other family posessions my hard working Italian family had. So when I build a rod I think ahead 30-40+ years when my kids, grandkids or great grandkids hopefully enjoy these rods and are proud of them. Thanks for the question! Really makes people think of something simple in this confused world right now.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster