I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Workbench
Posted by: Michael Ward (172.58.155.---)
Date: April 07, 2020 02:02PM

I guess I no longer have any excuses for not getting going on wrapping some rods - well other than I'm still waiting on some reel seats which should hopefully arrive tomorrow....

Thanks for the inspiration from some here and elsewhere on the sliding carriage for the wrapper - I combined the ideas of the left-right, but also for a front-back to create an X-Y carriage - can push it back out of the way when not using it or adjust forward/back to where is comfortable, and then also slide left/right (about 4 feet either way) to avoid having to kick the pedal up and down the bench..... (and can get one smaller foot mat, or when I get a stool won't have to move it)

I want to add some slat board or the like to the wall for organization, and then I need to get a connector for the pedal so I can cut the wire and move it to the back of the bench and down through the grommet - a few little things like that still remaining to tidy it up....

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Looking forward to putting some time on the bench now.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 02:04PM by Michael Ward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Workbench
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 07, 2020 03:04PM

Michael,
You must live in the southern hemisphere of planet Earth; your picture is upside down for us in the northern hemisphere LOL. It looks very nice and the addition of the ability to move the wrapper on the Y axis seems to be a good idea and hopefully will prove to be beneficial. Good job! The fabrication looks very clean, as does the surrounding area; now get busy building rods and clutter it up a bit so it looks more like the rest of our work stations.
The concept of moving the wrapper rather than oneself and foot petal has obvious benefits. I first learned of the idea from Roger Wilson. Unfortunately, I have zero wall space to build a bench to accommodate my 6 / 9 / 12 / 15 foot wrapper (depending on which bed extensions are connected) so it is in the middle of the shop supported by my moveable granite surface plate and 20in horizontal sander/grinder, both of which are on wheels.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 07, 2020 03:31PM

triple post....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 03:33PM by Michael Ward.

triple post....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 03:33PM by Michael Ward.

In in good old North Carolina - I think it is less a northern/Southern Hemisphere thing as it is an Apple / PC thing - lol...... noticed that when I uploaded the pics here it showed the thumbnail upside down, but when I looked at it the pic was correct - weird.... (also curious why we can't embedded pics here with an image link vs. having to click over to the parallel website.....)

I am pretty sure it was in fact Roger that I picked up the idea for the left-right carriage setup - and then I got the idea for the front/back from Josh Cohen over on Facebook (not sure if he's here as well)... just combined the two ideas, It took some poking around to find the right materials to use that would not add a lot of height or instability to the system... the embedded track is just T-track and slot used in for miter gauges and such in woodworking tables. The long track is from Accuride - a linear rail system for sliding doors/cabinets and such - it is an 8' and 4' piece of track pieced together and then three carriages slotted into the track and bolted to the wrapper.

Once I get back to the grocery store and can find some paraffin I am going to wax up the T-track so it will slide a bit easier - and maybe have a buddy cut some UHMW runners on his CNC instead of the aluminum ones that are there now - but we will see - like you say - need to get it covered in thread and such 1st.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 03:34PM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2020 04:33PM

The Photo Page constitutes the internet's largest permanent collection of custom rod building photos, nearly 20,000 to date, and they are archived in a form that makes it easy to find by a variety of search criteria. Embed something here and you may never find it again after a little while.

Date: April 07, 2020 04:46PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Photo Page constitutes the internet's largest
> permanent collection of custom rod building
> photos, nearly 20,000 to date, and they are
> archived in a form that makes it easy to find by a
> variety of search criteria. Embed something here
> and you may never find it again after a little
> while.
>
> ............

so perhaps upload to the Photo Page for its posterity & future searching and place a link to that image in the post here? Best of both worlds??

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 07, 2020 05:02PM

Michael,
The UHMW would be a great idea to reduce friction. Just remember to use it on one side and aluminum on the other, not plastic-to-plastic or metal-to-metal. McMaster Carr has UHMW channels for about $3.00 per foot, PVC for a little less, even PTFE but for considerably more. If you can adapt the channel to your system, it would reduce or eliminate the machining. Hope this helps.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 07, 2020 05:27PM

Michael,

That's what most people do. In fact, it's what you did in your original post up top.

Date: April 07, 2020 05:38PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Michael,
>
> That's what most people do. In fact, it's what you
> did in your original post up top.
>
> ............

Tom - I was referring to an image link so it would show here also.... But could be archived on the other location

Date: April 07, 2020 06:36PM

I don't know if that's in the software package but I'll find out. Otherwise you just have to copy and paste the URL of the page which is only a second or two longer to do. But I'll find out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 07, 2020 07:47PM

Michael,
Just out of curiosity, are you left handed?

The reason that I ask, is that because I am left handed and find that it works very well for me to have the motor and the rod butt on my right as opposed on my left.

Even when I set up my tool bench for other activity. I have my work in front of me, and my tools are always on my left because that it my tool hand.

By the way, this is one of my favorite 2-pin connectors that I use with motors and with 2-pin pedals:

Works well, is inexpensive and very reliable. Strip, connect, solder and cover each connection with heat shrink tubing.

[www.autozone.com]

Date: April 07, 2020 08:45PM

Nope - right handed. I’ve considered flipping the track to move the carriage to the back side but then may need to reverse the motor. May tackle that later when with a dc motor upgrade.

I had thought about the ol’ standby two-pin trailer connector..... given it won’t be plugged and unplugged much it would do the trick

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2020 07:51PM

Nice set up. I would have to get divorced to have something that nice. If you are already use to the left hand set up, keep using it.

Posted by: Larry Pollock (---)
Date: April 13, 2020 05:24PM

All the posts from left hand craftsmen etc. why hasn't anyone noticed that it is a left mounted motor/chuck wrapper in a reversed photo. Check out the monitors and the location of the wing nuts on the rod supports.

Posted by: Larry Pollock (---)
Date: April 13, 2020 05:24PM

All the posts from left hand craftsmen etc. why hasn't anyone noticed that it is a left mounted motor/chuck wrapper in a reversed photo. Check out the monitors and the location of the wing nuts on the rod supports.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster