I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fiber glass spin blank
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 05, 2020 05:04PM

Hi, I have heard people talk of building on fiberglass. I am considering trying a spinning build on fiberglass but have no idea of what is good. I like to put good components on the rods I build so I don't want a cheapo blanks. Can any body direct me to a quality fiberglass blank? Also...what are your opinions of fiberglass spinning rods. I'm in Utah and almost always fish the different trout species here. Thanks !!!

Re: fiber glass spin blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 05, 2020 05:25PM

My Fenwick glass trout rods are still my favorite for moving lures like spinners and spoons, if I'm drifting bait I have Rainshadow XP840's for that. I bet you can find the same blank in the Immortal popping rod blanks. They also have the one PC. SPG e glass blanks, but I only tried the heavier models for trolling. Seeker makes 2 pc. S glass trout blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 06:35PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: April 05, 2020 07:54PM

Check out the Ameriglass blanks by McFarland that Anglers Workshop carries

Ron Weber

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2020 09:28PM

Todd
You might want to consider a CTS 7'0" glass spin blank. They have various lure weights - but for trout the you might want the 3/16 Oz - 1/2 Oz
And - I do offer RB.org members a discount.
Email me if more info wanted
Herb
CTS Distrib.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 06, 2020 04:51PM

Todd,
Keep an open mind when trying your new FG trout rod; they are different than CF rods. Many will state FG is “sloppy-feeling” but I refer to it as full-flexing and thoroughly enjoy it for both casting light lures and fighting Sierra trout using UL equipment. It seems everyone has become spoiled with the attributes of CF and I certainly will not argue; CF truly is a wonder fabric for a wide array of applications, rod blanks included. In my opinion, only two aspects of CF fall short of FG; one fact the other subjective. CF is very stiff and resists bending allowing for blanks which are smaller diameter, thinner walled and thus lighter. Being so stiff and inherently brittle though, CF does not like being bent over a short distance as compared to FG and thus is not as ultimately tough or forgiving; most heavy, off-shore rods are still built of FG, even lower modules ol’ E-glass. But more importantly and back to our trout rods, FG affords an elevated “Fish-Fighting-Fun-Factor” over CF. I simply love the full flexing of an UL FG rod produced by a 12in trout while confident a 20in can be controlled if true angling is employed. But then, I may admittedly be in the minority.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 06, 2020 05:29PM

Mark, i could not agree more..in the last half dozen years i been building more and more on glass roda mostly for retrieving type baits, spinners, chatter, trap baits and use carbon for jig baits and worm fishing which i seem to be doing less of..my bass bug fly rods are still carbon mainly for the less weight..like you say playing a fish with a glass rod is smoother and a lot less herky jerky..lol. and that,s why the fish stays hooked on glass.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2020 11:52AM

You can make a carbon rod that is very soft and full flexing, and you can make a glass rod that is very stiff and fast action. Material doesn't determine action or power. It does directly relate to speed, however.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 07, 2020 12:16PM

exactly Tom, and it,s the slow recovery (especialy E-glass) that i,m looking for..

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: April 07, 2020 04:17PM

I think the little extra weight of the material helps load it with very little fly line out with fiberglass fly rods or with a casting very light weight lure on a spin rod. Then you have the durability aspect too if you are climbing or wading on rocks and bushwhacking which is a big plus to fiberglass.

Date: April 07, 2020 04:44PM

Todd,
I did not address your question regarding FG blank suggestions in my first reply because I cannot really help you very much. I purchased quite a few vintage NOS Conolon FG blanks in various lengths and powers in a sanded but not finished condition. They are absolutely gorgeous after a coat of PG, afford an awesome Fish-Fighting-Fun-Factor, all while owning and fishing a 50-60 year old piece of fishing history. Consequently, those are the blanks I use when building a FG rod.
Although I look at modern FG spinning blank offerings from different manufacturers, I have not discovered any that really interest me all that much; they seem to be either too heavy powered in 7ft lengths or overly expensive. For my UL trout spinning rods, I prefer a line rating of 1-4lb ideally, with 2-6lb acceptable and 1/32-1/4oz lure weight range. It would also be a huge plus to find a 4-piece blank to accommodate backpacking. To satisfy my desired specs, it seems as though FG fly blanks are the only option. While I personally have no problem with building a spin rod from a fly blank (even though many others would consider it to be “sloppy feeling”), simply adding the word “fly” to a blank increases the price exponentially.
As already said, I am sorry to not be able to afford you with more suggestions with FG spinning blanks. I am very interested to learn which blank you find and decide to build. I hope you keep me posted.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Pat Majeski (---.dynamic.digitalpath.net)
Date: April 07, 2020 07:55PM

I am really partial to seeker FSP700 for throwing trout magnets in No Calif streams.

Date: April 09, 2020 07:38PM

Todd,
Are you still with us?

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 17, 2020 06:30PM

Yup! Sorry...was on other topics for some time. I very much appreciate all of you. I haven't been here long but have read your posts for years when I have a question. It seems to be a brotherhood and I like that. I will look into the suggestions. I already did check out some brands...more expensive than a really good CF blank. I don't want that. I want to find a 50-75 buck blank to do a first fiberglass build on. Thanks to all of you for your ideas and suggestions!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2020 09:58AM

Hello Tod.

S-Glass page 42 MudHole from $56-$61.50. 7ft-7ft6in.

Hope this helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Greg Darling (---.natcotech.com)
Date: December 04, 2020 09:08AM

I found this thread because I am also looking for a fiberglass ultralight rod blank to build on. My purpose is a little different in that I am looking to build a mountain stream bait finesse rod. I see a lot of good suggestions for rods in the 6-7 foot range but I need a rod blank in the 5 foot range. Does anybody have any experience with the Ameriglass ASC531ULC? are there any other glass blank suggestions?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster