I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Umbrella Rigs Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Butch Cross (---)
Date: April 03, 2020 09:22AM

Has anyone built a rod where the primary use was to cast umbrella rigs.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Umbrella Rigs Blank Suggestions
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 03, 2020 09:35AM

Bass rod xxheavy will do the trick.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 03, 2020 10:57AM

I thought these snagging rigs were banned..where is it still permitted to use them..

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: April 03, 2020 11:10AM

There are a couple of schools of thought with the Rigs, some guys like to have a rod with a soft tip( similar to a crank rod), if you are throwing smaller rigs ( flash mob jr style) I would go with a Northfork BB805 . On the other hand you have guys who want a very solid stick, in that case I have used a few, I went with a Northfork Delta SW764 and SW765, if you would like even more power for the largest of Rigs go with a swimbait blank, I have used the Batson REVSB710MH and the Northfork SB806&807. I do also have a Point Blank PB761XXHMF that is fantastic.

If I were wanting to build just one that would do it all I would probably go with the Point Blank, or the Batson REVSB710. Just make sure to match up the total weight of the rigs to your blanks capabilities.

Take care and stay safe.

Tom

Date: April 03, 2020 11:15AM

Ben, I am not sure where you read or saw these are “snagging rigs”, the only place I have ever “snagged” a fish with one is in its lip like every other bass lure. Many states allow them! Yours may not so check you local regulations. But please don’t falsely label them.

Tom

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 03, 2020 01:00PM

I can't imagine a fish can put up much of a fight dragging around a bunch of hooks, lures, wires and sinkers. Any rod capable of dragging around such an assortment should have more than enough backbone to crank in a fish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 03, 2020 02:13PM

Best one I fished was built on a Seeker Blue Lightning CSW808 shortened to 7 1/2 ft. It's an S glass and graphite composite blank so.it wasn't a log. 1 to 5 oz. lure weight I'd say, maybe 6.
Myself I'd also try it uncut, it is rated 1 to 8 in catalog, but I see no way it would do it with any snap in the cast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 02:26PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 03, 2020 02:13PM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 02:23PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: April 03, 2020 03:45PM

Phil apparently you’ve not much of an imagination...... put down the fly rod try something new and you may learn something.

Date: April 03, 2020 04:02PM

Spencer, that one looks very promising!

Date: April 03, 2020 04:35PM

Tom: I fished trot lines 60 years ago and down riggers 40 years ago. BORING! I have yet to enjoy reeling in a fish hooked to an umbrella, but I imagine it's a lot like reeling in a lake trout with your line wrapped around the down rigger ball. Even cranking in two-pound pompano (meat fishing) hooked to a 6 oz. sputnik sinker - which I do as often as I can - sounds like an exciting battle compared to reeling in a fish hooked to an umbrella? Times and tastes have changed faster than I have. BTW: Some of the finest charter captains I know are avid fly-fishers?!!

Posted by: Rich Henderson (---)
Date: April 03, 2020 09:25PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't imagine a fish can put up much of a fight
> dragging around a bunch of hooks, lures, wires and
> sinkers. Any rod capable of dragging around such
> an assortment should have more than enough
> backbone to crank in a fish.

Phil, Thomas is right on point. Even though Im not an A Rig guy, I do have a few buddies that still fish them and here our boardering States you can have 2 or 3 hooks, and have seen, & heard of guys catching them ( Bass ) 3 on a single cast, talk about getting excited. A buddy of mine caught 3 on a single cast last year and they weighed a little over 8lbs. I was not there but his co angler swore by it as well so I had to believe him. As a matter of fact as I was typing this I recall watching a video somewhere of a guy catching 3 and getting it on video. The guys who swear by the A Rig say it happens more than you can imagine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 09:25PM by Rich Henderson.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.dhcp.gsvl.ga.charter.com)
Date: April 03, 2020 09:55PM

I built one when the Alabama rigs first became known. Used a Batson ISWB 945 blank. Fished it a lot and it worked well. When a bass hits an A Rig, they about jerk the rod out of your hand. Still have it and use it mostly in the cooler weather. A lot of guys were using their flipping sticks, and a lot of flipping sticks were broken

One thing I recommend is to put a longer grip on it. I made a 14 inch grip, so you can tuck the rod under your arm. These baits will wear you out!

Bert

Date: April 04, 2020 08:58AM

Rich: A lot of people run trotlines but they are commercial or subsistence fishermen. Different strokes for different folks. How much does the average umbrella rig weigh? Seems like that would determine what blank to use, but the wind resistance of the multiple wires, hooks, lures and leaders plus the poundage of fish you could hook with ONE cast must be factored into your blank choice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 12:20PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 04, 2020 03:52PM

One example of an umbrella rig:

[www.basspro.com]

[www.basspro.com]

[www.basspro.com]

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 04, 2020 08:23PM

Typical bass a-rigs can be seen at Tackle Warehouse. The Flash Mob Jr. is on the light end of the spectrum weight wise. And thanks to all who made useful replies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 04:18PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Butch Cross (192.132.205.---)
Date: April 15, 2020 10:15PM

Thanks for the replies, customer has decided to get something different since this is for his wife.

Thanks again for the replies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster