I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CFX Custom Carbon Fiber Grips - Butt End
Posted by: Andrew Trostle (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2020 03:32PM

I'm taking a stab at making my first set of customer carbon fiber grips using the CFX kit from mudhole. I'm making a split grip for a casting rod, and my question comes in on how is everyone finishing the butt end of the split grip as there will be a not insignificant hole from the ferrule.? Are you just using metal or EVA butt caps, or doing some sort of inlay that you're epoxing in place? Any insight or guidance would be much appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CFX Custom Carbon Fiber Grips - Butt End
Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 01, 2020 04:51PM

Andrew, I have only made on foam core carbon fiber sleeved grip. I too used the CFX kit from Mud Hole. The grip I made was full length, but the way I treated the butt would be the same, regardless of what type of grip it was, or is.

I cut and turned a tenon to accept an EVA butt cap. Since it was a full length handle, I actually cut and turned tenons on both ends of the grip I made. The way I handled it was this .... The first thing I did was turn down the foam core to the shape and diameters I wanted it. I turned it .080" under what I wanted the grips finished diameter to be. I chose the .080" dimension because I had a stock CFX grip that I had messed up, so I cut the it and measured the thickness of the carbon fiber sleeve with my digital calipers. After turning the foam core, I skinned the entire length of the grip with the carbon fiber sleeve. Since I was going to have tenons on both ends, I didn't have to mess with pulling the sleeve over the grips ends. I secured the carbon fiber sleeve at the very ends of the grip, in the area where I would be turning the tenons. I tried using the clamps that came with the kit, but I had trouble with them snagging and pinching the fiber sleeve, which made it bunch up, so I used wire ties. They worked much better for me, so you may want to have some on hand ... just in case.

Anyhow, after doing the sleeve and letting it completely dry, I put the grip on a mandrel and chucked it up in my power wrapper. I used a white china marker to mark the point I wanted the shoulder of the tenon to be, and set the thing to spinning. It only took a small mark with the white china marker to draw a line with the grip spinning. I used the edge of a file to cut the carbon fiber skin. I worked beautifully. I went just far enough to cut through the skin. I then snipped the sleeve from the end and simply peeled it off the foam core. I was careful in doing this as I didn't want to risk chunking the core, possibly ruining where the tenon was going to be. After I got the skin off it was an easy task to turn the tenon down to its final diameter.

I hope that makes sense? Reading how I did it, is a lot more difficult than it was to do. lol

Date: April 01, 2020 08:40PM

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. Makes sense. I think thats probably the cleanest look. I’ll have to measure the OD off one of the forecast grips I have made in the past. Much appreciated

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2020 04:38AM

I have not made carbon fiber grips. Have used a few premade ones. On a couple builds I used what were sold as fore grips for the butt grip. So no tenon for a butt cap. I plugged the hole with a fired brass shell casing from one of my pistols. Just glued the grip about a 1/4" or so past the end of the blank. Cut the head off the case glue in place.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2020 04:38AM

I have not made carbon fiber grips. Have used a few premade ones. On a couple builds I used what were sold as fore grips for the butt grip. So no tenon for a butt cap. I plugged the hole with a fired brass shell casing from one of my pistols. Just glued the grip about a 1/4" or so past the end of the blank. Cut the head off the case glue in place.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 02, 2020 08:35AM

Andrew, this is a link to a picture of the grip I made with it dry fitted on the blank. It turned out pretty good. Especially considering it was my first time. It was fun making it.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 02, 2020 09:44PM

Michael Sutheimer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have not made carbon fiber grips. Have used a
> few premade ones. On a couple builds I used what
> were sold as fore grips for the butt grip. So no
> tenon for a butt cap. I plugged the hole with a
> fired brass shell casing from one of my pistols.
> Just glued the grip about a 1/4" or so past the
> end of the blank. Cut the head off the case glue
> in place.

Im intrigued by the casing idea. Could be a cool look. Appreciate the info!

Date: April 02, 2020 09:45PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Andrew, this is a link to a picture of the grip I
> made with it dry fitted on the blank. It turned
> out pretty good. Especially considering it was my
> first time. It was fun making it.
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> p?photo=20467

That looks great! Actually the same Alps reel seal Im planning to use! Hope mine comes out as nice!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster