I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "MH" All Arounder Casting Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 05, 2020 04:30PM

You can use a KW-10 as a replacement for the RV-6 if in doubt. It is the appropriate height.

Options: ReplyQuote
MB736 First Impressions
Posted by: Paul Park (---.bcstcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 04, 2020 12:04PM

Fist of all, I apologize for my long post as always. I just want to provide as much information as possible in case someone in the future is searching through the forums trying to find info on the specifics of a blank and how someone else built them. I also want to thank everyone for the feedback on my posts, they helped greatly in choosing the parts.

So I finished building these up last week, wanted to post after I caught a few fish on it and put the reel I want on there, but that might be a week or two from now. I did end up acid wrapping with an RV6 guide and saw no issues with rubbing or line lay on the spool. The rest of the guides were KT & KB in 5 Titanium SiC with a matching 5 tiptop. The blank I built on was 2.4oz. But the balance was a bit off with a 10.5inch split grip, so I ended up adding some extra epoxy under the grips to balance it out(NFC carbon grips). Came out at 4.4oz. Now it balances about an inch from the locking nut with the reel(7oz) on the rod. Not amazing, but not too bad for a 7'3" rod. I made a mistake with the eva winding checks on the NFC Carbon Split Grips and ended up tearing one during installation. I just sealed both of the split grips using thread and epoxy instead. I can still see the arbors at the ends, but it's not too bad. I'll be the only one using it, so I don't need it to be pretty.

I went to a sporting goods store to buy a Chronarch MGL for the rod, but they were out of stock. They had a Lew's custom pro in stock and I liked how well it fit on my hands over how my Daiwa Tatula fits or how the Curado K fits. I ended up ordering the newer Lew's Custom Lite and that should be arriving in a few days. I've always been a Daiwa guy, but I've never been really comfortable with how their low profile baitcasting reels palm on my smaller hands. The Lew's was more comfortable in hand than the mid range non-jdm Daiwa or mid-range Shimano that I could try at the stores. I just hope it lasts. Lew's finally introduced dual bearing supported pinion gear on their baitcasting reels, so I believe that should help with the reliability. If I don't like the Lew's Custom Lite or it gets too geary, I might just bite the bullet and get the new Shimano Metanium MGL since it's a 150 size and will fit better in my hand than a Tatula or Curado K. I also considered the Curado 70, but saw more than a handful of reviews with reliability issues. Also considered the Shimano SLX & the SLX XT, but didn't like the blue color.

In the meantime, I took it out to the local pond with my Daiwa Tatula 100 and I found that it can pitch a 3/4oz package(3/8oz + craw trailer) fairly well. I can also cast a 1/4oz package (1/8oz + zoom finesse worm) without issues. I'm glad I went with the MB736 instead of the SJ736. I think the SJ would have been over-powered for my needs. I can get through most of the muck that I'm pitching to using a 3/8oz weight. Even at 4.4oz, It's very sensitive and responsive. The action of the rod is also to my liking. It's a "fast action" so the tip is the first to load, but it has a flexible mid section, so you end up with a fast action into a more foregiving backbone. I'm not a fan of very stiff backbone where you get a fast action, then a very quick shut-off into the back bone. That's just my observation, YMMV.

The blank with the faults was built up as a spinning rod for a coworker. He insisted on an eight inch rear grip, so the rod isn't quite well balanced. Otherwise, a great casting and a sensitive rod. I just wish I could have convinced him to go with a ten inch rear grip instead. Either way, it'll be the best and most sensitive rod he owns. I noticed a difference in sensitivity between rods I built. His rod felt less sensitive when compared to mine. I'm sure it's a combination of things with full cork grip vs carbon fiber, different guides, different weights(2.2oz blank vs 2.4oz blank - mine was the heavier blank), different reels, and different configuration(spinning vs casting) but it was enough of a vibration dampener that I noticed when throwing the same lipless crankbait. Enough for me to consider changing to Carbon Grips for all my future bottom contact builds.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the build aside from the weight. I was hoping for a sub 4oz rod, but it likely would have been horribly balanced unless I extended the rear grip out to 11.5" I'm only 5'9", so 11.5" rear grip would be well past my elbows and would prohibit me from working the rod effectively. With it being a bottom contact rod, I thought it would be better to sacrifice some weight for better balance. I'll post one last update and some pictures once the reel comes in and I catch a few fish on it. I got a great deal on these blanks at $75, but I see that the blanks are back up to $225. I was hoping to get a few more X-Ray blanks, but seems like I'll look into some Point Blank rods while I wait for another sale at NFC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster