I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"MH" All Arounder Casting Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Paul Park (128.194.2.---)
Date: March 31, 2020 12:48PM

While I'm waiting for my dropshot blank and components to come in, I'm searching for a good option for an all around casting blank. Here are the criteria I'm looking for, what I'll use it for, and the options I've found so far.

Criteria
-Light Build around 3.5 to 4oz total built
-6'10" - 7'2" Length
-Lure Range around 1/4oz - 1oz
-Preferably a Slightly moderate side of Fast Action for casting accuracy and versatility

Environment
-Bank Fishing in small ponds in Texas
-Weedlines along the bank
-Algae all along the bank
-Soft mucky bottom

Uses
-1/8oz - 1/4oz bullet weight + Craw or worm = 1/4oz - 3/4 oz total weight
-1/4oz Jigs + Small Trailer = 5/16oz - 3/4oz total weight
-1/2oz bullet weight + Craw or worm for pitching into the weedlines = 3/4oz - 1oz total weight
-1/4oz - 1/2oz Spinnerbait or Chatterbait + Trailer = 1/2oz - 3/4oz total weight

I usually walk to the pond that I fish from home, and I usually just carry two rods as of now. I carry my Rainshadow Immortal 68MLF rated 1/8oz to 3/8oz for Ned Rigs and Wacky Rigs, and a Dobyns Sierra 683CF rated for 1/4oz -3/4oz for my 1/8oz Texas rigs, Lipless cranks(rarely), weightless flukes, weightless Texas rig worms, and such.

I want to replace the Dobyns with this new rod. I thought that the 1/4oz - 3/4oz rating of the Dobyns would be sufficient for my fishing, but found it lacking when fishing around the weeds, and it's just not very sensitive for bottom contact. Since the Sierra series is slightly more moderate than a true fast taper, I can change the line to mono and designate it as my light cranking/jerkbait rod.

I want to maintain the slightly more moderate-ish fast taper in the new rod, because I think it suits my style of fishing where I carry only two rods for fishing. I want the rod to be an "All Arounder" if possible.

Blanks I've looked at
-Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72M - I heard that this blank fishes more like a MH from the IP ratings provided by forum members
-Rainshadow Revelation REVC68MH - Depends on how much I like the REV610MLXF. If it's nice and sensitive, I'll probably consider another Revelation
-Point Blank PB701MHF - Light but expensive
-NFC MB736 or SJ736 X-Ray - Leaning more towards the MB736 for the lighter power & they're on sale, so it's cheaper than the Point Blank, but heard some horror stories on defects, customer service issues, and wait times

I've spent the last few days digging up old forum posts on rods for this, but wanted some other opinions. Thanks!

TL;DR - Accepting any and all suggestions for a light weight "MH" all around casting rod blank for bank fishing weedlines for lure range of 1/4oz to 1oz. Any CCS values are welcome if they can be provided, I've done some extensive search on the forum and have posted them as the options I'm already considering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "MH" All Arounder Casting Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2020 01:01PM

Hello Paul -- Here is a MHX Rod blank that fits just about every piece of criteria you mention and comes in a wide array of metallic colors. [www.mudhole.com] Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2020 03:11PM

The IMMC72M is awesome and designed to do exactly what you are wanting to do.
[getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 03:11PM by Get Bit Outdoors.Com.

Date: March 31, 2020 03:47PM

Thanks for the inputs! Any other suggestion from non-retailers? I'd really like to hear about the Point Blank, NFC, or any other brand and model to consider. I'm leaning towards the 1/4oz to 3/4oz rating. I'm thinking that the Dobyns Sierra is a lighter blank than rated, because the rod feels most comfortable when I'm throwing 1/4oz - 3/8oz. Any closer to 1/2oz and I feel that it's starting to overload on a cast. If I could find a rod that actually has a 1/4oz to 3/4oz sweet spot without it feeling stiff like a broomstick, that would be ideal.

For the MHX Blank, I'm not sure I want a Crankbait blank for the casting rod. I did mention that I would like a slightly more moderate side of fast, but I would think that a crankbait blank is a bit too moderate for Texas rigs and Jigs. As for the IMMC72M, I ended up buying an IMMS68ML as a drop shot rod under the recommendation of a retailer and that did not end up being a good drop shot rod. It's a great Ned rig rod, but that's not what I asked for. I later called Batson and they confirmed that it is not a good drop shot rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 31, 2020 05:48PM

Last I heard Angler's Workshop still had some Batson Eternity blanks, if you want an upgrade over the Immortals.

Posted by: Paul Park (---.bcstcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 31, 2020 06:04PM

I think $200 for the Eternity2 Blanks might be too much for me. The NFC blanks are half off right now, hence my consideration at $125 per blank.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 31, 2020 07:28PM

I'd go with the Immortal.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 01, 2020 11:44AM

By "casting rod" I assume you mean a rod for a revolving spool reel? So many use "casting rod" to describe either a spin-casting or a bait-casting rod. Will you be spooling up with monofilament or braided line, or do you feel this will not influence your rod choice?

Date: April 01, 2020 12:40PM

Phil,

Yes, I do mean a revolving spool reel, specifically a bass oriented low profile baitcaster like a Shimano Curado K or Daiwa Tatula SV. I plan on using one of those two specific models for this rod. I will be using 20 - 30lb braided line(Daiwa J-Braid x8) with 6 - 10ft of 8 - 10lb leader. I will likely stick with a co-polymer leader for this all purpose rod.

The braided line is the reason why I want a slightly moderate side of Fast action. I guess the better description would be a "softer tip" rather than a "moderate side of fast". I find that the softer tip section allows me to reel down the slack easier than a stiffer tip on a typical fast taper rod. I like that the tip loads up and I can set the hook into the backbone rather than having to load both the tip and the backbone with the hookset.

I have no idea if that made any sense. My technique might be wrong since I learned alone. I just did what felt right. I also learned to bass fish on a ML Saltwater wading rod so that might have something to do with it. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything else.

Posted by: David DeBruhl (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 01, 2020 01:02PM

I have built two of the NFC MB705(HM) for this purpose. They are a good all purpose blank with plenty of backbone. I have been overall pleased with the action. I primarily use this setup for Carolina rigs, Texas rigs and soft plastics.

Date: April 01, 2020 02:55PM

Paul: Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate the details you provide which shape your selection of components.The "whys" you provide make sense to me.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 01, 2020 04:28PM

Paul, I have two rods built on the NFC MB 736 X ray blank, and it is an other worldly blank. Extreme sensitivity, and a really nice power band. Personally, I think 3/4 oz would be pushing it for that blank. I built mine for bottom contact baits, but the rods are proving to be quite versatile. The AA for the MB 736 is 75, so it's probably not what you're looking for as far as the action you're looking for. If I were asked for an opinion, I'd say it's on the faster side of fast. As far as power goes .... when I initially did CCS tests on one of the rods I built on the blank, I came up with an IP of 715g. But It just felt more powerful than the 715g number would have lead me to believe. So I rechecked it. Evidently I had a mistake in my math the first time, and on checking it a second (and third) time, I came up with an IP of 793g. Not a whole lot higher number, but based on how the rod fishes, one that is more in line with the numbers I initially expected.

I don't have any experience with the other particular blanks you mentioned, but I will say that the Immortal blanks are awesome blanks. I've built two rods on them, one that I mentioned in your drop shot rod thread, and one on an IMMC73ML. The IMMC73ML fishes like what in my mind, would be a medium powered rod. It's an awesome and extremely versatile blank. If the IMMC72M is just a more powerful version of the 73ML blank, you will be ecstatic with the rod you build on it. If that is the route you choose.

Date: April 01, 2020 05:12PM

David,

How stiff is the tip on the MB 736 X ray? I believe I made a mistake when describing the action I want. I want a soft tip. There's not a great way to describe that non-quantifiable(through CCS or RDA) quality and in my ignorance coined it as a "moderate side of fast". If the rod has a soft tip with a fast action, it would be ideal.

I just received the REV610MLXF blank and the tip is wonderfully soft while being an "XF" action blank. Since the backbone is weak, the blank bends into more than 1/3 of the length. Exactly what I was looking for as a drop shot rod. The blank isn't straight, but it's bent along the direction of the spine, so I don't think it'll be a big issue.

I also called Jim at Point Blank and inquired about their selections. He suggested a few models for me such as the PB69MHXF and the PB73MXF. He also couldn't quite put the tip stiffness into words and his suggestion was to try one. While I'd love to build whatever rod I want, buying a $150+ blank just to try it out may be at this point in my life.

Paul

Date: April 01, 2020 06:35PM

Paul, as you know, soft is a relative term. When I think of a "soft tip", I think of a tip that is going to load up with a low energy cast, such as pitching. The MB 736 pitches a 3/16 oz tube jig head dressed with a 3 1/2" tube, very well. And it will flat out launch a 3/8 oz weedless football jig with a plastic pork chunk type trailer. As I mentioned in my prior post, IMO 3/4 oz baits would be pushing it. If you are talking a 3/4 oz jig with a trailer, then I would have to say that I personally wouldn't throw something like that with it.

But I differ from you in that I don't like to have my rod loaded by the weight of the bait I'm throwing, when it comes time to set the hook. Unless I am fishing a moving bait, or a technique that you don't do a pull set on, like a drop shot or a Ned rig, I set the hook with an amount of slack line. As I see it, the hook set is as much about rod tip speed, as it is about the actual power behind the hook set. I use slack line in the hook set to help generate rod tip speed. I want the bait to jump in the fish's mouth. In my mind, if you want a solidly hooked fish, then you have to move the bait in the fishes mouth.

There is one thing about the X ray blanks that I assume you are aware of, but if not, the X ray blanks are not sanded at the factory. They have resin ridges on the blank. IMO the texture of the blank is quite rough. Others may not feel the same. For me personally, it was a texture that I wasn't willing to deal with, so I sanded the blanks so that they were smooth. Doing so may void the warranty, so if you're concerned about voiding the warranty, then that is something you may want to check into. For me personally, the texture was such that I could have cared less if it voided the warranty. I was sanding regardless of what it meant to the warranty. I checked the blanks over very closely when I got them and put them into a very deep bend. They looked great and the blank didn't break so away I went with the sanding.

With that said, and despite my personal need to sand the blank, if I were building another medium heavy power rod that I was going to be using primarily slack line techniques (bottom contact baits) I would be building it on another MB 736 Xray. That's not to say that the Immortal blanks I have built on don't have excellent sensitivity. Because they are outstanding in that respect. The X ray is just different.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 01, 2020 07:37PM

My favorite all around casting rods are the PB701MF and the PB731MXF. They are extremely nice nice rods which will easily cast 1/4 to 3/4 oz. They are unique rods that are very fast, but with a more flexible tip then most other rods I have use. The flexible tip loads very nicely no matter what weight you are casting; the heavier the weight the further back the rod loads into the powerful midsection, and they cast very well with just a snap of the wrist. I also own a couple of NFC MB736 X-ray rods. They are also very nice and I like them, but I prefer the PBs, which is a personal preference. The PBs are very light, and both are more powerful than the X-rays, but don’t feel overpowering. I didn’t post this earlier, because I thought you ruled PBs out because of price. However, they’re not that much more expensive than the NFC blanks once you throw in postage and excise taxes.
Norm

Date: April 02, 2020 09:22AM

The type of blank you describe sounds a lot like a "hot-shot" blank. Although designed for quite a different purpose they have soft, light tips and very powerful butt sections. You might take a look at a hot-shot blank, or better yet get your hands on one to see if it has what you want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 09:40AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 02, 2020 10:07AM

Phil is correct. Hot shot blanks also have a very fast action with a flexible tip that quickly transition into a powerful butt section. They are also very similar to spin jig blanks, which do the same thing. I do like these types of rods. Another relatively inexpensive option for an all around bass rod is the MHX SJ843. It has a more flexible (softer) tip than the MB series but with a lot of power in the butt section. They are extremely nice blanks and I build a lot of them; they are a great bang for the buck. Even though rated as M it is actually more powerful than the MB43 which is listed as MH.
Norm

Posted by: Paul Park (---.bcstcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 02, 2020 05:47PM

David,

Ended up giving NFC a call. They told me that they had a the MB736 in stock. I've read through some of your posts about the MB736 blank and I'm convinced that the MB736 XRay will be a good fit for me, so I went ahead and placed an order. At the worst case, it should make an amazing finesse jig (1/4oz) rod. I couldn't resist the sale...

I decided to get NFC's carbon split grip kit and I'm trying to decide on a the right reel seat for this rod. I'm leaning towards the Fuji ECSM seat because that's what I'm most used to, but I'm gonna take it slow with this build to make sure I end up with the best balanced rod possible. I'm thinking that I'll move over my Daiwa Tatula 100H over to this rod since it's the only low profile baitcaster I have at the moment. I can buy the Tatula SV TW103 or Curado K next month since it's unlikely that I'll be using two baitcasting setup in a single outing.

I'm debating between Spiral Wrap vs conventional. I like the spiral wrap more for the lack of line tangle around the top guides if nothing else. I think it would help keep the rod even lighter, cheaper, and more tangle free, but I don't know if the RV stripper guide works well spiral wrapped.

Contemplating the Fuji Titanium SiC RV stripper guide with a KW5.5, KB5 x 3, KT5 x 5, Ti SiC 5 Guide. I have no idea if the RV guide would be good for spiral wrap.

The Hot Shot blanks sound very interesting and definitely sounds like the type of blank I'm looking for. If the MB736 turns out to be too stiff of a tip, I will look into the hot shot blanks.

Date: April 02, 2020 08:06PM

Paul, you are going to love the rod you build on the MB736 X ray blank. As far as the reel seat, you might want to take a look at the Alps MVT casting reel seat. (they have one for spinning rods as well) Since using my first one, it is the only seat I've used on my casting rods. It goes very well aesthetically with carbon fiber grips. It's a beautiful and very comfortable reel seat. Like the ECSM, it is a blank exposed reel seat. If you want to see what it looks like with a carbon fiber grip, I posted a link to a picture of one of my rods in the CFX Custom Carbon Fiber thread a little bit above yours on the main forum page. The reel seat on that rod is the Alps MVT seat.

As far as your guide train choice. I'm a conventional kind of guy which means I'm not a spiral wrap on a casting rod kind of guy. I just don't see there being an advantage to them on a bass rod. But, other far more knowledgeable builders than I seem to like them, so .....

Anyhow, there really is no need to use the RV6 guide as your butt guide, A KW 10 is the same height as the RV6, and it will work beautifully if you so choose to go that route. As far as the rest of the size guides you mentioned, I'm a 3 guide reduction train kind of guy. It just looks right to me, and since my casting rods are conventionally wrapped, the 2 other larger double foot reduction guides carry a little more height down the rod blank, which probably reduces the number of guides on the rod, by 1. Heck, maybe even more than 1, but I've never tried it any other way, so I can't say for sure.

While I'm not really one to try and build the lightest rod possible (I've added 2 3/8 oz to the butt of a rod to get the balance point I wanted) It should be pretty easy for you to keep your build under 4 oz.

Edit for addition: I almost forgot to mention. I have Curado Ks on both of the rods I built on the MB736 X ray blank. The black of the Curado K goes really well with a carbon fiber grip, and EVA grips as well. They're my Darth Vader rods. lol I'd go with the Curado K......... of course I've never used a casting reel that wasn't made by Shimano, so ..... lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 08:22PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 05, 2020 11:38AM

An XF blank of the same power will have a softer tip and cast a lower weight lure than a more moderate rod would.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster