I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New NEO blank from NFC (“The One”)
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---.sub-174-216-17.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2020 01:44PM

Dear Rod Builders,

We are pleased to announce the launch of the “NEO” blank, a performance blank that rod builders are calling “the one”

[northforkcomposites.com]

Manufactured in the USA, from T1100GC and 9 Micron AGY fiber (both fibers Made in America).

It’s the most versatile blank we have created with 3 action points:

One activated during casting (to properly load the blank)
One activated during the lure retrieve (to properly work the lure)
One activated during the hookset (with shock absorption not to lose fish)
Virtually impossible to break during a high-stick, boat flip, hookset situation.

We have it priced at $75 as a promo launch price.

Thanks for buying American Made blanks.

Aleks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New NEO blank from NFC (“The One”)
Posted by: David Miller (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 29, 2020 03:47PM

Your Neo blank sounds awesome any chance you have a lighter power Neo in the works like a MH crankbait.

Also your new Xray SJ733 sounds awesome, large lure range and light. Is the 1.3oz weight correct? Should be perfect for fishing speckled trout and redfish I do in the NC sounds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2020 03:51PM by David Miller.

Date: March 29, 2020 03:59PM

David -

1.3oz is correct on the 703, wide range, slim in diameter, light and fast - it’s ideal for the inshore fishery.

The NEO is perfect for cranks, chatter baits, jerkbaits, (take a look at the deflection chart - the recovers in a way not to interfere with the action of those types of lures.

Best,
Aleks

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2020 05:33PM

Your website says the NEO 765 is 2.0 oz, but the version I have is 3.285 oz.

What is the correct weight supposed to be?

Date: March 29, 2020 05:50PM

Dean,

It should say 3.0,

We allow the trimming of that blank and make rods out of it from 7’6 to 6’9 (and so do many OEMs) the standard 7’6 length should be right at 3oz, plus or minus the variance in the resin concentration of the pre-Preg we receive (+/- 3%)

What do you think of the blank?

Date: March 29, 2020 05:59PM

It will be a while before I build it, but just from bending it, there definitely is no shortage of power on it. Tip flex seems good for casting. It would be interesting to see how the power curve would stack up next to swimbait rods in the TackleTour testing format.

It is straight. No defects that I can see. This kind of rod fits a niche of fishing I don't do much, but I see some good options. I tend to do more finesse oriented fishing, but I want to branch out a bit and try some stuff at the opposite end of the spectrum for bass as well.

Shipping was fast.

Date: March 29, 2020 06:09PM

Dean,

Thank you for the thorough overview, and the kind words.

I sent a note to our web dev on the rating, should get updated in a few.

Best,
Aleks

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---)
Date: March 29, 2020 09:48PM

Please explain how a blank can have three actions. It obviously doesn't know what you're doing to know where to bend.

Date: March 29, 2020 10:41PM

Mike,

It has to do with the pattern design, the material utilized, and the taper of the mandrel.

Depending on what you are doing with the blank (casting, working the lure, or setting the hook) a different part of the blank is activated. Also, what we are able to control on this blank is not just the action - but the reaction (how quick it dampens) which is why we recommend it for the types of lures that we do.

Hope that helps,

Aleks

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 31, 2020 03:23PM

Alex’s,

Will the blank loose any noticeable power by taking 6-7” from the rear?

Thanks
Tom

Posted by: David Miller (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2020 05:14PM

You beat me to it Thomas I was wondering the same thing.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 31, 2020 08:31PM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alex’s,
>
> Will the blank loose any noticeable power by
> taking 6-7” from the rear?
>
> Thanks
> Tom

with glass rods especially i have noticed that the extra leverage in your favor seems to give you a sense of more power..hard to explain i know

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2020 01:59PM

Good question Tom, was considering this blank but prolly more as a 6'9 or 6'10, wasn't sure the effect of trimming would have here.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: April 01, 2020 04:51PM

Jay you are thinking along similar lines as I am! I have ordered one regardless

Posted by: Jason Haney (---.197.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 01, 2020 07:34PM

Just ordered one and an EFX handle! Never purchased an X-Ray before, always out of my price range. Figured I had better jump at $75.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 02, 2020 08:15PM

Aleks? I have a question related to 2 MB 736 X ray blanks I purchased last year. Neither of the blanks came with a rod decal. Is that something that just got missed being shipped with the blanks, or do you not supply decals for the X ray blanks? I purchased 2 IM series blanks a couple of years ago, and both of the those blanks came with decals.

Just curious, because I would love to have some decals for my 2 MB 736 X ray blanks.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Date: April 02, 2020 09:53PM

All my NFC x-rays have come with a label. One of my dropshot blanks came with a 736 label by mistake though and when I tried messaging for a replacement label I did not hear back.

Date: April 05, 2020 10:27AM

Just an update. I sent an e-mail to NFC this past Friday about the decals in question. I received an e mail yesterday from Ashlynn K at NFC stating that they would have those decals out to me Monday. Awesome news and I'm happy to say that it appears that NFC has things together from a customer service stand point.

Dean, shoot them an e mail and see what comes of it. My guess you'll get a similar outcome.

I'm seriously thinking about picking up another MB736 X ray blank. As good as those blanks are, I'd be crazy not to ..... right? lol

Oh and I'll post back when I get the decals.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: April 05, 2020 02:12PM

David you’re lucky still waiting for mine (and some mail on the last month :-( ).

Date: April 05, 2020 06:25PM

Lynn, I haven't gotten them yet, lol ...... which is why I said I'd post back when I get them. But I did get a response. Which is something I didn't get when I e mailed right after getting the blanks last year.

I hope they have turned the corner business wise and are going to start to have customer service worthy of their name. I mean heck ...... the company was founded by Gary Loomis. You'd think that would mean something.

Fingers crossed. And like I said, I will post back when I get the decals.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster