I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nfc blank
Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.cpe.net.fido.ca)
Date: March 28, 2020 11:29PM

Looking to order Nfc blank for pitching and flipping grass. I like the sounds of the x-ray blank. 1/2 to 3/4 jigs. Deep weedline fishing tournaments. Any suggestions on which blank. thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nfc blank
Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---)
Date: March 28, 2020 11:39PM

The 736 I built on is a MH in my hands it felt a little heavier than that but I'm pretty sure I kinda messed that build up component wise. ACS reel seat split grip and it was a long split. I think if the handle was shorter it would have felt better.

Date: March 29, 2020 12:08AM

Is that the Mb or SJ Thank you

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---)
Date: March 29, 2020 12:17AM

MB sorry. I forgot they make both.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: March 29, 2020 08:34AM

I have two rods built on the MB 736 X ray blank. IMO a 3/4 oz jig (plus trailer) would be pushing it for that blank. But I prefer my rods to have power to spare. It's a crazy good blank though. I use the rods I built on them primarily for 3/8 oz (plus trailer) football jigs or 1/4 oz tube jigs in deeper water, for smallmouth bass. It also makes an awesome Senko and mid weight Texas rig rod. Not a blank I would use if I were consistently trying to pull fish out of heavy cover, but more than enough power for fishing moderate cover, and deep weed edges. IP for the MB736 X ray blank is 793g, with an AA of 75.

If I were looking for a blank that is going to hand a 3/4 oz jig, I'd be looking at something like the MB 739 IM. I don't have personal experience with that blank, but I do have experience with the MB 709 IM blank. I built a pitching and flipping rod on the 709 and it will definitely handle a 3/4 oz jig. Plenty sensitive, with gobs of power. IP for the MB 709 IM is 1045g, with an AA of 70.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 29, 2020 09:59AM

The X-ray MB7108 and 7109 will work well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2020 06:13PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Date: March 30, 2020 07:02PM

Anyone build the SJ it looks like more power?

Posted by: Pat Haley (---.newsourcebroadband.com)
Date: March 30, 2020 08:11PM

Not to high jack the thread, can I ask what is the difference between the MB and SJ blanks. I have both and will be building in the next 2 to 3 weeks. I have the MB736, SJ736, MB7108, and MB7109 blanks to build.

Posted by: Mike Brill (---)
Date: March 31, 2020 06:36AM

I have built on both the mb and the s version of the 736. The MB is lighter in action and is a great rod for 1/4,3/8 and weightless. The S version is very good on the light stuff but better with the heavier 1/2 oz range lures These are two of my favorites. The sensitivity of both is amazing. I built both as casting rods. Love these xrays.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 31, 2020 10:02AM

In the 736, the SJ has more power without question

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.informhtml.eu)
Date: April 02, 2020 11:05PM

I willl have to weight the rods when they are done but the SJ 736 is about .5 oz heavier than the mb 736. So, the extra graphite must be doing something in there. I can’t wait to finish them. I have not built a rod in years and have bought a bunch of x-rays to build..sj 736, mb 736, two Ds 721, sj 732, mb 765 neo, mb 7108, and a couple hm 704’s.

With the corona shut down, I might actually have time to finish some builds!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2020 07:45PM by Dean Veltman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster