I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Geek blanks
Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: March 28, 2020 08:21PM

I'm looking to build another spinning rod. I had built a 7' medium power rod on a Hydra NG series blank. It's a nice rod, but probably because I had unrealistic expectations, I've never been completely happy with it. So instead of having yet another rod that isn't being used sitting around the house, I'm selling it to my tournament partner. I've let him use it for a couple of days, and he loves it so much that he went out and bought a new 3000 series Stradic to put on it.

Amyhow, there are two blanks in Rod Geeks' Carbon 4 line up that I am interested in. One of them is the C466MF. 6 - 14# line, 1/4 - 5/8 oz lure weights, fast action, and the other is the C4610MXF. The C4610MXF has the same line and lure weight ratings as the C466MF, but with an extra fast action. I'd really like to be able to fish a drop shot on this new rod, so the 610MXF is the blank I am leaning towards. The problem I am having is, I am afraid the 610MXF may not have the backbone I am looking for. I have a rod built on a Pac Bay Quickline QLSJ782 that I absolutely love, but it's tip is just a bit too stiff to be a good drop shot rod, But it has the back bone I am looking for. The IP for QLSJ782 is 522.

Would anyone happen to know the IP numbers for either of the blanks I mentioned?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Geek blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 29, 2020 01:24PM

Don't have a 610, but my 68MXF has a considerably softer tip than the 66MF.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 29, 2020 03:35PM

I have an sciv 610mxf.. tip is MUCH softer than a 66mf blank

Date: March 29, 2020 06:32PM

Spencer and Thomas. Thank you very much for your responses. I truly appreciate them. Spencer, I'm not surprised at your response. I kind f figured the tip on the xf was going to be softer. How would you say the back bone is on 68MXF? I guess what I'm asking is what percentage of the blank is soft tip before it shuts off and becomes back bone?

And Thomas, since you have experience with the sciv 610mxf blank, I'd like to ask if you the same question I asked Spencer. I want the soft tip, but I am looking for a blank with some back bone. If you're familiar with the Eternity2 ETES 610MXF blank I was expecting it to have a soft tip, and an good back bone. It's got the tip, it just doesn't have the back bone.

Thanks again for the responses guys. Very much appreciated.

Date: March 29, 2020 07:44PM

David, I am experienced with the ETEC blank as well ( I built as a dropshot spinning rod). The 610mxf St Croix has a whole lot more power for sure!! Even the mlxf st Croix will have more power than that Eternity. Please don’t misunderstand me, I am not knocking the Eternity by any means, if it wasn’t the best for my style of fishing I wouldn’t have one in my arsenal!!

Tom

Date: March 29, 2020 07:57PM

Thomas, thank you for the quick response. Very much appreciated. I just want to be clear on something. ETEC was the designation for a casting blank in the Eternity series. Just want to be sure we are talking about the same Eternity blank. I am talking about the spinning blank.

If we are talking about the ETES 610MXF blank, then I am glad to hear that you feel the St Croix blank has a whole lot more power than the Eternity blank. And like you, I am in no way knocking the Eternity blank, either here or in other threads I have mentioned it in. It's an outstanding blank, and the rod I built on it is absolutely gorgeous, with all top notch components. Full carbon fiber rear grip, skeleton reel seat with woven graphite insert, and a KR concept guide train using Fuji T2 titanium guides with SIC rings. If it had the power I was looking for I'd ask it to marry me.

But alas ....... it is not to be

Date: March 30, 2020 09:27AM

David, my mistake I was referring to the spinning rod, the ETES. I really wish I had picked up more of the series when they were available. I carry three of the eternity 2’s every time I launch the boat.

Date: March 30, 2020 10:40AM

Thomas. I really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you. I think I am going to give the Rod Geeks C4610mxf a shot. It sounds like what I am looking for, and it has the blank dimensions that will work with the grips I just got in from Utmost.

Thanks again !!

Date: March 30, 2020 05:00PM

Very welcome, I think you will be pleased with it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster