I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Spinning rod fore and rear grips
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 30, 2020 05:01PM

Michael,
When I first started building rods, I would cut off the spinning reel seat threads to minimize the length and for the overall appearance.

However, that changed a couple of years later, when I had picked up a new reel for my favorite rod. However, when I went to put it on, I found that the reel seat was too short due to my thread trimming.

After all - a treasured rod may last for many many years, and it is nice from time to time to switch to a different reel. So, to take care of the issue, I used an abrasive cut off wheel to trim the length of the spinning reel foot - because I have no interest in rebuilding the rod for a different reel seat.

Hence, ever after that incident, I no longer trim any reel seat threads for a shorter length.

-----------------
When I do my blank trimming for to cut repair pieces for a broken blank for a client, I use a mini chop saw that came from a commercial mini saw. I removed the guides and adjustments and put on a fixed backing angle and replaced the blade with a 3 inch thin abrasive cut off wheel. It works very well for cutting of all sorts including cutting reel seats.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

--------------------
This is the current version of the chop saw that I started with:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 30, 2020 06:54PM

Roger, I know you know this, "measure twice, cut once."

Posted by: Mark Emaus (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: March 31, 2020 07:58AM

Roger, what if you trimed the foot of the reel?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 31, 2020 08:29AM

Mark,
That is what I did with that particular reel.
i.e. I trimmed the foot of the reel to let it fit the reel seat that I had made shorter by trimming some threads from the reel seat.

But, that incident caused me to stop doing any trimming on reel seats.

I decided that the small amount that was trimming the seats were incidental in the larger scope of things and I wanted the ability to put virtually any reel that I purchased to be able to fit on any rod that I had built -

So, no more reel seat thread trimming from that point forward. I had decided that from that point forward, I didn't want to have to take a brand new reel and cut off part of the foot to allow it to fit into any reel seat that I had on an appropriate rod.

Rods can last a very long time. But often, as time goes by - one likes to try some different reels on a favorite rod.

Take care.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 31, 2020 05:22PM

I don't disagree , Roger. Functionally it's a non-issue, so why take the risk.

Posted by: Mark Emaus (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: April 01, 2020 10:52AM

I have to agree. Not worth it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 01, 2020 11:37AM

If you are using certain hidden thread hoods it may be necessary to trim the threaded barrel of the seat so the hood with sleeve fit properly. Also if you are using no fore grips you can certainly trim the reel seat threads back, because there is fore grip in the way to prevent using a reel with a longer foot. I just do what’s necessary.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 01, 2020 07:25PM

I trim all excess threads from all my seats. Livin' on the edge! lol

Posted by: Steve Cox (---)
Date: April 05, 2020 01:03AM

If my customer tends to land fish 'on his/her own' especially from a boat.... this means for a time they have to hold the rod in one hand while they maneuver the fish to the net or their hand. This means locking the rod into their elbow or lower arm for good leverage!!!! If this is the case. I set the handle for their their particular arm length so this is very comfortable for them!!!!! :-)

Posted by: Steve Cox (---)
Date: April 05, 2020 01:03AM

If my customer tends to land fish 'on his/her own' especially from a boat.... this means for a time they have to hold the rod in one hand while they maneuver the fish to the net or their hand. This means locking the rod into their elbow or lower arm for good leverage!!!! If this is the case. I set the handle for their their particular arm length so this is very comfortable for them!!!!! :-)

Posted by: Mark Emaus (50.124.34.---)
Date: April 07, 2020 05:34PM

Steve 2 questions. 1 for jigging, is it better to have your reel seat farther up the tip for feel. Having said that, 2 why not just lock the reek and move your hands to have leverage to net the fish? thanks

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster