I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spinning rod fore and rear grips
Posted by: Mark Emaus (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 01:25PM

I am making 2 Jigging rods. 1 is 6 foot 2 and the other is 6 foot. What length rear and fore grips would you use?

thanks

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod fore and rear grips
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 27, 2020 01:28PM

Mark,
I would make both of them 10 inches long for the rear grip and I would not put any fore grip on the rod. Really no need for a fore grip on the rods.

Take care

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 03:23PM

On spinning rods I am opposite of Roger. Because your hand placement is forward with a spinning reel the fore grip is more important than the rear grip. I think at least a 2" fore grip would work and a short rear grip if any. You could also do a rear grip to the butt.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 27, 2020 05:54PM

Not many builders have figured this out yet, but if you do a split grip, just short ramps off the reel seat, uplocking so the front ramp is almost the same diameter as the seat hood, and an appropriately sized butt grip, it will be the most comfortable and effective finesse rod you've ever made. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 28, 2020 08:23AM

Thanks you guys, you are all awesome. Michael, I don't understand your idea? Can you be a little more specific? Would you have a pic of your idea?

Lance, how far up the rear of the rod would you start the reel seat?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 28, 2020 10:29AM

Mark,
Click on the link that Michael posted. It is a nice picture of the build.

Date: March 28, 2020 11:01AM

Thanks Roger! About how from the back on a 6 foot rod would start the reel seat?

Date: March 28, 2020 11:46AM

The reel seat (actually the reel) position should be placed in recognition of two ergonomic considerations, first the balance of the rod, and second, the possibility of a "too long" butt getting caught on the fisherman's clothing. The second will depend somewhat on what clothing will be worn, the length of the fisherman's arms (wrist to elbow) , and the type of fishing. If the technique doesn't cause a problem, then put it where you want it.

I put my spin reel stems about 10.5 inches from the butt, and don't consider balance a significant issue. With high quality blanks and the guide sizes you plan to use, you've done about all you can for balance, other than where the reel will be placed. I consider the first criteria most important and will not add any weight to a rod for balance. Just my preference; I know many disagree.

Date: March 28, 2020 11:51AM

More detail on the build concept: The choice to use a straight size 17 seat with small ramps off the front and rear, uplocking facilitates the lightest rod that has very good comfort and sensitivity. The rear ramp is mostly for appearance, but the hand does get back there now and then, so having a pleasing, handsome shape makes sense. In front, make the ramp the same size as the front hood of the seat and your hand will go back and forth without even feeling a significant transition. If you plan to use polyurethane ramps that will be covered with wrap epoxy, make the ramp just smaller than the hood. Then you have a shoulder (the front face of the hood) to use when placing the epoxy up against the seat hood..

Date: March 28, 2020 11:55AM

Here is a front ramp detail [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2020 03:06PM

Have you figured out what kind of reel seat you are going to use yet. Typically on a rod that short I would mount the seat, measured from where the rear reel foot will anchor into the rear slot on the reel seat, at around 8.5" to 9". This would be a medium light blank. You really haven't given any details of the build other than a jigging rod. Is it heavy, medium, light? What is the species of fish you are going after. On a heavier rod, for bigger fish I would want more handle than that and would mount the reel seat 10"+. I really like Michael's concept with that type of real seat. Minimal is best.

Date: March 28, 2020 05:41PM

Thanks, Lance. The only problem for some with this kind of design is that you have to turn your own parts. Polyurethane reel seat shims work fine, wouldn't recommend them for hard usage, though. I've not had problems. Poly turns so easily that you can take a shim, turn a drill bit into the hole, and turn it on a drill press. It turns almost too easily, and is fragile until installed on the rod. Cork, even burl, can be turned easily on a drill press if you use a mandrel and stabilize it at the drill press table with a cheap ball bearing sunk into a piece of wood which is clamped to the table. I start with 60 grit sandpaper and go progressively finer to about 500.

Posted by: Rod Siemens (---.richland.wi.wicw.net)
Date: March 28, 2020 08:02PM

I, and many others, like the feel of cork on a jigging rod. I keep them short on those length rods - 6-7" rear and 2" fore grips. TVS ergo reel seats with carbon inserts that match the trim bands or guides. Light, sensitive, comfortable and I always seal the cork.

Lots of great ways to build those rods - good luck and enjoy!

Date: March 29, 2020 08:48AM

Awesome info! Michael, I will custom make my cork for all the parts. I am thinking of using a number 16 reel seat. Your rods are beautiful. My only recommendation on the last pic would be to change the logo to a M. lol Just kidding. Do you live in Michigan? I do in the western part of the state. But thank you so much on helping me here. I was worried about balance as I know for feel it has to be important.

Lance and Rod thank you also!!!!

Date: March 29, 2020 05:00PM

I live near MSU, and that rod was done for a charity @#$%&. UM doesn't play as well at @#$%& around here as MSU. I went to UM, wife and 1st son to MSU. I highly recommend a size 17 seat. Weighs not much more , but the ergonomics are very much better. My charity rod this year was an ultra light, so I used a 16, and I really didn't like how it felt in the hand. If I can find it , I'll post a link to a device I made to make 16's better for ergonomics.

Date: March 29, 2020 05:10PM

Here 'tis, Mark

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 30, 2020 07:59AM

Thank you Michael. Which number 17 style do you like? I buy from a lot of companies but almost all for fly rods. So I am not the familiar with spinning rod seats.

Date: March 30, 2020 08:28AM

[anglersresource.net]

These are the ones I use, like the deluxe appearance ehhancements over the standard DPS. The new TVST's are very comfortable, too. I'm just building my first of these right now. But the DPS in size 17 is very simple to build, clean appearance, and comfortable. We'll see where I go after this build (Although I have a few DPS's in hand.)

Date: March 30, 2020 02:34PM

Thank you Michael..

Date: March 30, 2020 04:44PM

Since new to spin, I should probably mention that spin seats are usually longer than necessary to fit the reels we use, so many builders cut them off, usually a few threads. However, that amount of weight is insignificant; it is usually done for looks or to minimize the threads that are available to get under the hands. I think the size 16 DPS is 4 inches long, the 17 4 1/4, but don't depend on my memory. Use your judgment. To cut mine, when I do, I fix the seat into a jig so I'll get a square cut, and S-L-O-W-L-Y move it through my table saw with a fine tooth carbide blade. Tape the cut to help minimize any splintering. Slowly! Others use things like Dremels which operate at such high speed there is no chance of splintering, but it's harder to get a square, even cut. Familiar with the Forhan locking loop? See the library above

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster