I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster Lite Second Coat ?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2020 03:24AM

I use threadmaster lite. Been happy with it. I always do two maybe three coats. I have always been able to get another coat on within about 24 hours. Which instructions say is the cutoff time for second coat. Well I am uncertain if I am going to get around to another coat in time. Of course this is after first coat is on the rod turning. I figure if anything a light scuffing and I should have no trouble with another coat at any time. Wondering from those with experience how far I can push it without any extra surface prep before another coat? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster Lite Second Coat ?
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 07:11AM

I haven't used threadmaster in awhile so I don't know if its the same for others.. If the finish is still a bit tacky, I will apply a second coat without any prep. If it is not tacky, then I will scuff it a bit. I normally don't try to put any additional coats on after 48 hrs.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: March 27, 2020 07:57AM

I've "pushed it" to about 30 hours. Don't recommend it but got away with it.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 08:01AM

I'e been using TM for 15 years, I've never one time in my entire rodbuilding life scuffed ANY finish. Not after a day, not after 30 days. WOrst advice ever

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 27, 2020 09:53AM

I've touched up the wraps on rods that are years old with Flex Coat and never had a problem. I made sure they were clean, but don't think I ever scuffed them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2020 09:53AM

You can apply a second application for several days after the first without any additional surface prep.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 10:35AM

I mostly use ThreadMaster regular and have never had a problem recoating, even after weeks to months, and some cases years, without the need for scuffing. It might not be recommended but no problems.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 27, 2020 11:29AM

Over the years, I have built a lot of rods. I normally use one coat of finish.

But, there have been times on a refinish when replacing a broken or missing guide - I will apply a coat of finish on the guide or guides that I have replaced and will go ahead and apply a coat of finish to all of the rest of the guides which have been on the rod from the beginning.

As Billy says, I have never every scuffed an existing wrap, no matter the age before applying a coat and as far as I know there has never been an issue with any of the refinished guides. I have only and have ever used standard Flex coat finish and have no issues.

Take care

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 11:55AM

Michael
I use Threadmaster Lite all of the time. I also use 2 or 3 coats on my guide wraps. I have never had any problem with applying a 2nd or 3rd coat after 2 or 3 days if necessary. My ususal wait time for is about 24hrs.
Rog

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 04:09PM

I also use TM Lite and apply 2 coats. That's plenty for me. I never had to scuff the first coat either.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 27, 2020 04:44PM

Michael S.,
If an additional coat is necessary, most epoxies will benefit if applied just before or after the “no fingerprint” stage of cure of the first to produce a “chemical” bond between the two. Since most epoxies require a number of days to fully cure (unless post cured at an elevated temperature), additional coats 2-5 days later can be applied and still achieve a chemical bond, just not as good as at the no fingerprint stage. A chemical bond is always better than a mechanical (sanded/scuffed) bond.
That being said, a chemical bond is imperative with laminating and structural composite epoxy structures but much less crucial concerning thread wrap finish epoxy; after all, we are not building space craft. Thread wrap epoxy is also inherently flexible. Therefore, I certainly agree with Billy, Michael D., Tom, Norman and both Rogers in those additional coats can be applied quite a while after the first without problems as long as the surface is free of any contaminates. While scuffing certainly will not hurt anything, in this circumstance I think it is unnecessary and only adds time and possible dust contamination.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster