I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shrink Wrap Grips
Posted by: Barry Stolzenberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 10:20PM

I have always built my surf rods with cork wrap grips. I would like to repair one rod where the grips are looking kind of dried out- by covering it with black shrink wrap. I have never used shrink wrap before.I understand that the grip will shrink to about half its diameter. My qusetion is: How much longer than the actual grip length being covered should I cut the wrap before sliding it into position?. After heating I want it to end up tight to the reel seat..I would appreciate other builders' advise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shrink Wrap Grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2020 10:48PM

Odd thing - the shrink wrap doesn't give up length by more than a tiny amount. All the loss occurs in the diameter. I doubt it shrinks in length more than perhaps 3% of the total.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 10:49PM

I have never use shrink wrap on a rod , but as I see it , it is a lot better to have extra , an yes it will shrink some in the length , but not much . the shrink of 2 :to 1 , is for the cross section , not length ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 11:04PM

Cut a small section ( one inch or so) of the shrink wrap and test it on the area you want to cover. It will remove easily after testing. If it shrinks tight, you are good to go. I would cut to length (as noted, I have not found shrink wrap to shorten) coat the area with a thin coat of epoxy, slide on the shrink wrap, heat and you should have a nice finished product. One thing to consider is you may get the contour of the underlying cork wrap once the wrap shrinks.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: March 26, 2020 11:14PM

I’ve covered a bunch of of rods in the x-flock shrink - I cut target length and it’s not shrunk enough over length to notice - just make sure when you are heating it to do so from one end, turning the rod so it shrinks evenly and then work your way down the rod

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 27, 2020 12:26AM

Barry,
Tom’s estimate of approximately 3% shrinkage in length is probably fairly accurate in general; but take into account that the more loose-fitting a sleeve is (having to shrink more) the more pronounced the shrinkage in length will be as well. I incorporate X-Flock shrink tubing on most of my saltwater builds; if I cannot install the reel seat over the end of the shrink, I cut a champher/recess on the end of the grip to allow the X-Flock to shrink below the seat and grip surfaces and face the void (less than .25in wide) with epoxy, usually just thread finish and usually with pigment. It seals the joint and looks very nice. Simply butting (or attempting to butt) the shrink tubing to the seat will not seal it and water allowed to get in can cause all kinds of nasties. Something to at least consider.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 09:52AM

keep in mind that it will follow the contour of whatever it is covering.
That said, you can shape the original grip to something you like better.
I did a wide "X" wind of cord on a rear grip, and sanded "flats" on 2 sides of a front grip for another .

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2020 01:09PM

You can also find out what kind of shrink you have, and find out if it is "Directional" or "Non directional".

Where I work, we shrink cable assemblies and it will shrink in diameter 50% or more (2" diameter shrinks to 1" inch diameter), but since its "directional", the length of the tube will only shrink .005 to .02 in length meaning, a 12" piece of shrink will only shrink to 11.995" to 11.880" in length.

McMaster Carr has about every diameter and color you can imagine and MOST of their shrink is "directional" like I mention above. I have used it on everything from fishing rod handles to landing nets.

[www.mcmaster.com]

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 27, 2020 05:10PM

Adding to Tony’s suggestion of shrink tubing from McMaster-Carr, they also have clear shrink tubing. I have used it in lieu of a butt cap to protect the end of the grip yet allow the hardwood, birch bark, cork or whatever to be seen. I also used it to protect the 16in hickory handle of a rebuilt, split cane offshore trolling rod.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 27, 2020 09:02PM

Thank you all for your your responses. Since it is new to me and I can just cut the wrap off - I'll do a couple of "practce shrinks" to get comfortable with it and ihen go for the final "shrink".
I appreciate your input and help..

Date: March 27, 2020 09:02PM

Thank you all for your your responses. Since it is new to me and I can just cut the wrap off - I'll do a couple of "practce shrinks" to get comfortable with it and ihen go for the final "shrink".
I appreciate your input and help..

Posted by: Kenny Lucano (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2020 11:57AM

Great info here, again I was looking for answers to similar questions & found all this! The amount of knowledge here is humbling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster