I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spin rod length
Posted by: Ron Petley (---.dynamic.bellmts.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 12:49PM

Greetings from a long time reader, but seldom poster.
A friend want a Spin rod, I am a fly rod guy but build can build a spin rod.
I am thinking something in the 6-12lb line.
He wants a 2 piece rod, I have noticed most of the spin rod blanks are 1 piece but he wants 2 piece. I have found a blank that is 2 piece but it is 8 feet long. Do you think this is to long as spin rods go, is it still usable for casting. Figured it would be great for playing the fish but not sure how easily it will cast.
Cheers Ron.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spin rod length
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2020 01:07PM

Rod length is generally a matter of what you plan to do with the rod. If he's casting plugs in the surf, then an 8 footer is most likely going to be better than a 6 footer. If he's fishing small streams for mountain trout, then and 8 footer may be unwieldy.

Date: March 26, 2020 01:19PM

We live in the center of the country so not for the ocean.
Most likely fishing from a boat or on bigger rivers with not many trees on the bank.
Thanks for your reply. From your reply 8 foot is ok.
Cheers Ron.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 26, 2020 01:19PM

Ask him what kind of fishing he wants to do with the rod. Different rods for different types of fishing. There are lot two piece rods out there in various lengths, powers and actions, you just to look for them.
Norm

Date: March 26, 2020 01:29PM

Good point I will ask mor questions

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 26, 2020 01:52PM

Ron,
The most popular length for spinning rods by far is 6'6".

Best wishes

Posted by: Rod Siemens (---.richland.wi.wicw.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 01:55PM

I have built a couple of 6'6" two piece rods using the old SCII St Croix blanks. Can't get those any more but Rod Geeks has the exact same blank in several lengths in their Carbon 2 series blanks. Pretty good blanks at a good price.

Good Luck!

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2020 02:36PM

Those st croix blanks were my go to for a lot of years. If you were Friend or Family and wanted "just a normal fishing rod" you got a St Croix 6'6" med action two piece. Not ideal for all applications. But for your typical midwest multi species fishing it can work acceptably for most anything. Any two piece 6'6" med action spooled up with 8 or 10 pound braid will be the multi tool of fishing rods.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 26, 2020 02:44PM

Hello Ron - Here is a link to a 6'- 6" 2 pc. MHX Rod Blank that should work perfectly for what you are wanting to build [www.mudhole.com] Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2020 02:45PM by Bob McKamey.

Date: March 26, 2020 04:09PM

Thanks I guess as a fly guy it seems short but I will follow the wisdom
I will order 6’6” . Thanks all of you for taking the time to help me.
Cheers Ron.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 04:21PM

Ron
I have built many (40?) spinning rods for myself and friends and family. We use these rods to fish for mainly for smallmouth bass on Pennsylvania's Juniata and Susquehanna Rivers. Most are between 6'6" and 7' in length and most are rated for 6-12lb. line. A "spin jig" type of rod blank between these lengths and line ratings will work very well for smallmouth bass fishing in these large but shallow rivers.
Rog

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 12:43AM

Ive found my prefered setup for rivers, lakes, etc. Is my 2 piece 7' popping rod.. Has a fast tip so ypu feel a lot of sensitivity, and a great backbone to send it.. 6-12lb test. P-843-2 MHX
It can cast 1/4-1/2 oz. I believe..

Match that with hitena air braid... Look out.. Lol

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 27, 2020 10:00AM

Look at the travel rods from many manufacturers. Even though the Rainshadows are RX6, they fish as if they were a higher grade. It has a lot to do with the design, not just the material. SB841-3 is an amazing blank. It is called a ML power, fast action, but it is actually X-fast, and as such, it has a light tip and a beefy backbone. Very versatile, I use mine for small bonefish jigs, heavier surface lures for cuda (with a lob cast), small-medium bass cranks, and tubes on the bottom. It does them all very well.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2020 01:34AM

I was building many spinning rods over 10 ft.one fly blanks (,W5,W10, W12) for my fishing from the bank in fresh water and salt wateri.I was building one "BOLOGNESE "rod using one telescopic graphite 16.4 ft. fix blank made in ITALY by GABRIELE TUBERTINI.With this bolognese rod i was able to catch (C&R )from the bank one red fish 40 inch,23 lb. wiith FIRELINE SMOKE 4lb. on jigs.
I was changing some 9ft. fly rods ( SAGE,G.LOOMIS IMX,LAMIGLAS ) in spinnig rods with best result using on jigs and artificial lure..
I am fishing just with artificial lures.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2020 01:34AM

I was building many spinning rods over 10 ft.one fly blanks (,W5,W10, W12) for my fishing from the bank in fresh water and salt wateri.I was building one "BOLOGNESE "rod using one telescopic graphite 16.4 ft. fix blank made in ITALY by GABRIELE TUBERTINI.With this bolognese rod i was able to catch (C&R )from the bank one red fish 40 inch,23 lb. wiith FIRELINE SMOKE 4lb. on jigs.
I was changing some 9ft. fly rods ( SAGE,G.LOOMIS IMX,LAMIGLAS ) in spinnig rods with best result using on jigs and artificial lure..
I am fishing just with artificial lures.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster