I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loomis Rod
Posted by: Steve Cox (---)
Date: March 25, 2020 08:42PM

A fishing friend contacted me today about a favorite Loomis Rod he knocked out of his boat and lost! Loomis 1 pc Spin Jig 5'10" Mag Lite Extra Fast. Is it still being made by anyone? Does anyone have an old one they want to sell? What blank today would be close to a replacement for it? I told him I would check with the Rod guys. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loomis Rod
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2020 09:40PM

Have you checked Shimano who purchased Loomis?

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: March 25, 2020 09:40PM

You could look on North Fork Composites web site. That's Gary Loomis' company now. Nothing there that matches exactly, but you may be able to find something in a 6' length and trim 2" off the butt.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 25, 2020 09:47PM

NFC has a couple of 6’ SJ rod labeled as Mag Light and extra fast, the SJ 607-1 IM and Sj607-1 SM. However, these blanks are quite heavy duty with intrinsic powers of over 800 gm. They also have a 5’10” XF blank SB51001 SM that is term a mag light but has much less power with an IP of about 250 gm. I have no idea concerning the power of your friends 5’10” G. Loomis SJ rod. G. Loomis still sells a 5’10” SJ rod SJR700-1 and it appears to be a light powered rod.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 25, 2020 10:14PM

Look at the North Fork 5100

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 25, 2020 10:45PM

Why doesn't he just buy another Loomis Mag light extra fast rod?

[www.gloomis.com]

IMX 751S WJR

I expect that except for being a few inches longer it is virtually the same rod.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 25, 2020 11:01PM

I assume this is the rod he lost, and it appears to still be made. [www.americanlegacyfishing.com]
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 26, 2020 01:43AM

That blank/rod has been around a long time, and has always been specific to itself, nothing I've seen is really like it. The NFC is where I would start my search, or buy the G Loomis rod. Most people who have used that rod hold it in very high regard.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 26, 2020 10:18AM

The only blank I’ve found a close match was the Shikari. I have been meaning to pick up a few of these from Northfork, love them for crappie, smallmouth and even the slight bit of trout I do.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.orlf.qwest.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 05:19PM

Not the same blank but I use it for the same thing and love it. Rainshadow Immortal walleye IMMWS62MXF. They're a little longer, 6'2".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster