I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tapered File
Posted by: David Hartman (216.75.200.---)
Date: March 25, 2020 04:11PM

Anybody use a Rat Tail File as compared to the Tapered Files that are out there to ream your cork handles?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tapered File
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2020 04:14PM

You have to use it backwards to prevent it "grabbing" the cork.
Heard of it being done years ago.
Since I use individual rings I don;t get involved with that.
Herb

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: March 25, 2020 04:27PM

Have not used a rat tail in a long, long time, thankfully.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 25, 2020 06:35PM

D avid, i took an old well worn set of rat-tail files and coated them with grit..they cut better than new now and the steel core retains its shape and draws off most of the heat so that very little grit comes loose..then i use a regular tapered reamer to make a final touch up..

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 25, 2020 06:54PM

David,
This is the set of files that I have modified to be used in reverse in my variable speed drills to ream cork rings, as well as grips.

The place where I took rod building lessons used similar files to ream all of their cork and it worked well. So, over time I assembled a set as well.
I first used a cut off wheel to remove the triangle handle that is normal on these files. Then, I chucked the small end of the file in my lathe and used a grinder to grind a uniform circular area on the opposite end so that I can chuck that end into a drill and have the file run true.
Then, I put the cleaned up end in the lathe and used a grinder to put a sharp point on the small end. This allows me to use a larger file to start with a small hole in the cork and quickly ream it out to the necessary size.

If the file gets filled with cork or other dust, I just hold the spinning file against a spinning bench mounted wire wheel to extract everything from the file and keep it cutting well. These are the same files that I started with many years ago and hundreds of rods later they still work as well as they did when I used each of them on the first cork ring or the first grip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Depending on the size of the file, I use either a high speed variable speed 3/8th drill or a high speed variable speed 1/2 inch drill to spin the file.

As others have said, I always use the file in reverse so that it does not screw itself into a ring or grip and split it wide open because the file would just screw into the ring or grip without actually cutting out any cork. But, in reverse, the file is just forced into the ring or grip to remove extra material.

Take care

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 25, 2020 07:12PM

i just wanted to add that with grit on the rat-tail it does not matter which direction the file is turned, it will not try to screw in and damage the grip..

Posted by: David Hartman (---)
Date: March 25, 2020 08:11PM

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

It is greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 26, 2020 10:03AM

I salvaged several broken rods from the waste can at a fishing pier and bought some coarse grit sanding belts from a hardware store. I made spiral cut around and around the sanding belt, producing a 6' X 1" strip of sanding belt. I covered the smooth side of the sanding belt strip and the top 18" of each rod piece with contact cement, waited , and wrapped the glue side of the sanding strip around the the glued rod shaft in an open spiral, leaving a 1" gap between each turn. After repeating this operation several times using different diameters of broken rod segments I had a set of concentric reams which have worked perfectly for 20 years. I think the sanding belts were $4.95 back then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster