I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Drop Shot Rod Blanks
Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-6.myvzw.com)
Date: March 28, 2020 11:47PM

Try NFC 721 X-ray. It's pretty nice just built one and so far I like it. Loaded with braid and Ti Sic with recoil runners it is on par sensitivity wise with a G Loomis NRX 901S pretty amazing you can toss a senko and feel the water rolling over the ribs at 60 ft. Neither one of these I have truly fished. But that's just my first impressions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---)
Date: March 29, 2020 12:21AM

Paul I posted some pictures for ya.

Posted by: Paul Park (---.bcstcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 29, 2020 01:13AM

Looks clean! But like I mentioned before, I already ordered the Revelation blank. If I build anything from NFC, it'll likely be a all around casting rod. Looking for something around 1/4 - 1oz around 7 foot. I'm already leaning towards another Revelation at that price as it

I see a few models from NFC that might work:
-SJ736-1(X-Ray LMX) with 1-3 inches cut off
-SJ706-1(IM)
-MH666-1(HM)

I excluded the delta models since I could get a Bushido, Revelation, Immortal, or any other blanks without paying the name recognition of NFC.

Few Models from Rev/Immortal/Bushido that I'm considering:
-Immortal IMMC72MH with 0-2 inches cut off
-Revelation REVC72MH with 0-2 inches cut off
-Revelation REVC68MH
-Bushido MB68/12-20

Let me know if you have any insight on those blanks, but I think we're getting off topic at this point.

Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: March 30, 2020 10:23AM

I am in the middle of building on the REVS610MLXF for a friend that I built a REVS610MXF He wanted a little softer tip. Did a sports team colors. I like the REV blanks for the price point vs what I get.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: March 30, 2020 06:03PM

Paul, the Immortal IMMC72MH blank you mentioned is an awesome blank. Very very sensitive, with gobs of power. I built a rod on it that I use for pitching and flipping. If you're looking for a blank that will move fish on the hook set and get them out of heavy cover, while still being able to pretty much count pebbles, then it would be your blank. I absolutely love the rod I built on it.

If I had anything negative to say about it, it is that it is a little tip heavy. But then again, pretty much any 7'2" blank with the kind of power the IMMC72MH has, is going to be a little tip heavy. It's kind of the nature of the beast. If CCS numbers mean anything to you, the IP for that particular blank is 1079g with an AA of 75.

Date: March 30, 2020 10:26PM

David,

The IP for the IMMC72MH seems quite a bit higher than I expected at the lure range specified, but I'm new to rod building and I'm not sure if that's just my perception or a norm. I assume standard range is the following for bass rods around the 7' mark?

ML=300g-500g for 1/8oz-3/8oz
M=500g-700g for 1/4oz to 3/4oz
MH=700g-900g for 3/8oz to 1oz
H=900g-1200g for 1/2oz to 1 1/2oz

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the association between the CCS Intrinsic Power vs Lure Weight Suggestion on the manufacturer's websites since the CCS values are not provided by the manufacturers. I would trust the CCS Intrinsic power more, but since it's not provided, I'm not sure how I can pick out a blank that's right for me...

But overall, it seems like the IMMC72MH is likely not the blank I'm looking for as it likely is a bit too stiff for the fish I catch around the pond. I mostly catch 1lb or less large mouth. If I'm lucky, I'll get a 2lb bass, but that's usually once a year. I might go with the Immortal "Medium" IMMC72M as that might be a better rod for my use or consider one of the other options like the Bushido, NFC, or PointBlank.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 30, 2020 11:20PM

The IMMC72M is also quite powerful with an IP=847 gm.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 31, 2020 10:07AM

The immortal ml fishes like many other mediums!! You may want to look at that one

Posted by: Paul Park (128.194.2.---)
Date: March 31, 2020 10:29AM

Thomas,

That's how I'm feeling about my IMMS68ML. It's about as powerful that my Daiwa Tatula 6'8" Spinning Rod Medium Power Fast Action rated for 1/8-3/4oz. I really hope that the REV610ML is quite a bit softer

I think the IMMC72M might still be a good option for my use where I want a slightly heavier power than a traditional medium, but not as powerful as a traditional Medium Heavy.

I'll go ahead and start a new topic on this since we're very off topic here.

Thank you everyone for the insight!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 04:02PM by Paul Park.

Date: April 05, 2020 11:06AM

Received all the parts for the REVS610MLXF and built it up today. The Kistler imitation grip setup came out pretty good, I think.
Here's a short album: [imgur.com]

I tried to post on the Photo section on rodbuilding.org, but couldn't log into the photo section for some reason. I wasn't sure if I had to do another sign up for it.

It's well balanced with a Daiwa Tatula LT 2500 with the balance point just in front of the "foregrip". I was planning on getting a Tatula LT 2000 for this rod, but seeing as it balances so well, I might get another 2500.

I haven't been out to cast it, but I'll try to update again once I have a chance to throw it a few times.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 07:10PM by Paul Park.

Date: April 05, 2020 07:10PM

Had the opportunity to catch some fish on the new rod using a 1/10oz Ned Rig since the drop shot wasn't working today. I'm very happy with the build! Took a few fish to start setting the hook correctly on the rod since the tip was quite a bit more limber than my other rods, but was able to land 4 or 5 fish today. None of them big, none over 1.5 pound.

Measured the completed rod, it came out to 3.15oz. The blank before building was 1.59oz. I think the titanium guides definetly helped with the balance point, and I'll likely be using them again for technique specific uses. I don't regret using SS alconite guides for the first two guides, however(stripper and reduction).

I'd have to say that my search for a dropshot rod is likely over since this build fits all of my needs as of now.

Sensitivity is subjective, so I'll refrain from claiming amazing sensitivity or anything, It's sensitive enough for me to feel crisp bites on tight lines. I watch my line anyways, so if I happen to not feel the bite on slack line and I see the line moving suspiciously, I reel the slack line until I feel the weight of the fish, and then set the hook. I've yet to find a rod that can transmit vibrations on completely slack line 100% of the time. I would say that that is an impossible feat even though rod companies may advertise otherwise.

Tight lines, and thanks for the great suggestions, everyone!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster