I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Drop Shot Rod Blanks
Posted by: Paul Park (128.194.2.---)
Date: March 25, 2020 12:43PM

I'm looking for a 6'8" to 7'2" drop shot rod blank for pond fishing and possibly kayak fishing in the future.

I built a ML Fast Rainshadow Immortal 6'8" thinking that it would have a similarly soft tip, but found it to be too stiff for drop shot. However, it's a great Ned Rig(1/10oz head), shaky head, or wacky rig rod, so I will be keeping it.

I've searched around the forum for recommendations and found varying opinions and preferences on drop shot rods and wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation for my specific use.

I bank fish at a very pressured public pond within walking distance from my house and the only effective techniques in most cases are finesse or flies.

The banks have overhanging trees, so I tend to prefer between 6'6" to 7' rod length, with preference for 6'8" or 6'10".

I use 10 or 15 lb Daiwa J-Braid x8 on a Daiwa Tatula LT 2500 on the Immortal 6'8" ML and am planning on buying either a Daiwa Tatula LT 2000 or 2500 with 10 lb braid and 6 or 8 lb co-polymer or flurocarbon leader using a 12 to 15 turn Alberto knot.

For terminal tackle, I will be using 1/8oz tungsten weights in most cases, going up to 3/16oz only when the wind gets bad, and dropping down to 1/16 oz if using a bigger plastic bait than usual. I use the Zoom Tiny Flukes in most cases, but sometimes improvise with finesse worms or cut off sections of worms.

Here are the blanks that I've looked at:
-American Tackle Bushido Drop Shot DS69/4-10
-Rainshadow Immortal IMMS72ML and cut off 2-4 inches off the butt section
-Rainshadow Revelation REVS610MLXF

I'm leaning towards the Revelation or Immortal more than the Bushido as of now, but I wanted some opinions.

My budget for the whole build is around $150 to $200. If I end up with a cheaper blank, I'll go for titanium Alconite or SiC Fuji KL-H KR Concept Guides starting with 16H - 8H - 5.5M - 4.5 runners and tiptop. If I end up with a more expensive blank, I may do a hybrid of Titanium and Stainless Fuji Alconite Guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drop Shot Rod Blanks
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 25, 2020 02:48PM

When tying drop-shot rigs do you use circle hooks or "J" hooks? My experience is when I'm bait fishing I get more hook-ups and a lot fewer gut or gill - hooked fish when I use circle hooks. All I have to do is crank them in and release them alive and mostly unharmed if they're too small.

Date: March 25, 2020 02:53PM

I use mosquito hooks for the smaller baits when I want the soft plastic to swing freely or throwing it next to a dock piling. If I want to throw it next to or along a weed edge, I'll often throw it on a 1/0 or size 1 EWG or a worm hook and Texas rig it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 26, 2020 10:02AM

I think all of the blanks you are considering will work OK. Bushidos and Revelations are at what I consider the sweet spot in the price vs value curve. I have the Immortal without shortening and have used it for Neds especially, also a little drop shot. I think a little faster action with a little more power would be better for drop shot. Once you get past the soft tip you want a good backbone. The XF action implies that. If I were choosing I think I would go REV. I haven't built the one you are considering, but other Rainshadow RX7's and Revelations perform like higher priced blanks.

You can write Batson-they have plenty of time now to respond to emails.

Date: March 26, 2020 10:45AM

Michael,

Thank you for your input on the Immortal! That's exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to get.

I had a chance to talk to Karry Batson over the phone a few days ago and he suggested the REV610MLXF over the Immortal as well. He suggested the Immortal for fishing open water rather than from the bank. He also suggested their ML Inshore blank for people who prefer moderate fast tapers.

The REV610MLXF blank weighs in at a featherlight 1.5oz, so I'm leaning towards the REV rather than the Bushido which weighs in at 1.72 at an inch shorter.

Do you have any feedback on the titanium guides rather than stainless on a drop shot rod? My thinking was that since my rod tip is pointed up 90% of the time that I'm fishing a drop shot, I would probably want a very light tip to make the rod balance towards the butt more. Seems like the Titanium SiC guides will cost me about 90-100 dollars including tip top. That's a bit more than the blank itself, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend that much rather than a standard SS Alconite guides which would only cost me 40 including a titanium sic tiptop.

I may call back to Batson or email them to ask more about the REV610MLXF blank.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 26, 2020 10:52AM

Have you looked further? There are two blanks that would fit your needs, the United Composites UC66LXF and UC70LXF. Both are durable with the Dual Helix construction, enough for kayak use without much concern, my 66 has been doing it for 15 years. Both have just a bit less power in the butt like you wanted. Both are rated 2 to 10 lbs line, 1/32 - 5/16 oz lures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2020 10:56AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: March 26, 2020 11:32AM

It is my opinion that the titanium vs stainless weight difference on the small guides used on a rod like this, like 4 mm KB's and KT's for the Fuji KR lineup is inconsequential. I will use titaniums on inshore rods primarily used in salt water, but not often on fresh water rods. I use only Fuji KR guides-they look like jewelry and have never failed me. For this rod the KLH16, KLH8, KL5.5M as you state would be the appropriate reduction train. While there is little difference between 4's and 4.5's, I use 4's on most spin rods. If you have not already, go the the Anglers Resource web site and use the software to locate your reduction train, the KR software , not the NGC.

Relative to salt water, the Fuji Corrosion Control guides are fine for salt and are available with different finishes and ring materials. What I generally use are alconites for the guides and SIC for the tiptop. It's the only "guide" that will ever tend to groove.

Date: March 26, 2020 11:41AM

Spencer,

Looks like I can't find those rods in stock at the retailers. Angler's Workshop and Getbit both have a couple week wait for them to custom order it.

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you looked further? There are two blanks that
> would fit your needs, the United Composites
> UC66LXF and UC70LXF. Both are durable with the
> Dual Helix construction, enough for kayak use
> without much concern, my 66 has been doing it for
> 15 years. Both have just a bit less power in the
> butt like you wanted. Both are rated 2 to 10 lbs
> line, 1/32 - 5/16 oz lures.

Date: March 26, 2020 11:54AM

Michael,

I did visit anglersresource and go through the KR software to determine the guide sizes. Thank you for the suggestions on the guides. I felt like I was being a bit ridiculous buying guides that are more expensive than the blank. I've changed my order to KLH16 SS Alconite, KLH8 SS Alconite, KL5.5M Titanium SiC, 4.5KB Ti SIC, 4.5KT Ti SiC runners, with 4.5 Ti SIC LG Tiptop. Just replacing the 16H stripper and the 8H reduced my cost by 25 dollars or so.

I chose to go with the Titanium the rest of the way because Mudhole doesn't have the 5.5M in Polished SS alconite in stock and I figured that the weight is more important towards the end due to the fulcrum than it is closer to the reel. I chose 4.5s for the braid to leader connection. I'm sure the 10lb braid to 6lb fluro Alberto knot goes through 4mm runners, but I had bad experiences with a true 4mm micro guide equipped casting rod(with higher lb test) when I was starting to bass fish. I'm a bit paranoid about the true micros.

Michael Danek Wrote:
> It is my opinion that the titanium vs stainless
> weight difference on the small guides used on a
> rod like this, like 4 mm KB's and KT's for the
> Fuji KR lineup is inconsequential. I will use
> titaniums on inshore rods primarily used in salt
> water, but not often on fresh water rods. I use
> only Fuji KR guides-they look like jewelry and
> have never failed me. For this rod the KLH16,
> KLH8, KL5.5M as you state would be the appropriate
> reduction train. While there is little difference
> between 4's and 4.5's, I use 4's on most spin
> rods. If you have not already, go the the Anglers
> Resource web site and use the software to locate
> your reduction train, the KR software , not the
> NGC.
>
> Relative to salt water, the Fuji Corrosion Control
> guides are fine for salt and are available with
> different finishes and ring materials. What I
> generally use are alconites for the guides and SIC
> for the tiptop. It's the only "guide" that will
> ever tend to groove.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: March 26, 2020 01:55PM

Paul, one thing about micros on spinning rods versus casting rods is, if your leader connection knot happens to hang up a little in one of the guides on a spinning rod, it's not going to back lash your reel all to heck.

Posted by: Mike Corn (---.sub-174-250-144.myvzw.com)
Date: March 26, 2020 03:09PM

Paul...I use almost this exact set-up for my smallmouth adventures.

15lb J-Braid on the 2000LT with 6-8lb leader. I went up to the 2500LT for my 7'2-7'3 rods.

I built my rod on the Bushido DS69/4-10 and love it. I used fuji KH16/8 then 5M and 4.5 or 5 runners. Alconite.

The blank is fantastic. Straight. Sensitive. Soft tip but not floppy. Tough. Nice wall/backbone.

I would venture that I go with a 1/8oz jig/ned/DS about 90% of the time.

If, well when I break it, I would no doubt go back with the same blank.

Paul Park Wrote:
>
>
> I use 10 or 15 lb Daiwa J-Braid x8 on a Daiwa
> Tatula LT 2500 on the Immortal 6'8" ML and am
> planning on buying either a Daiwa Tatula LT 2000
> or 2500 with 10 lb braid and 6 or 8 lb co-polymer
> or flurocarbon leader using a 12 to 15 turn
> Alberto knot.
>

Date: March 26, 2020 03:14PM

I went ahead and bought the following. I'll try to remember to update this post when I finish the build and go fishing a few times.

Blank
-Rainshadow Revelation REV610MLXF
Guides
-Fuji KL-H KR Concept 16H - 8H - 5.5M - KB4.5 - KT4.5x5 - 4.5LG tiptop
Seat
-Fuji DPSD 16 Seat
-Fuji KDPS 16 Hoods

I'm trying to mimic Kistler's grip layout with no winding checks, focusing on a clean, utilitarian build.

I do really enjoy drop shotting as it's so effective in the pressured ponds. I may even build another with the Bushido blank with the alconite guides for a kayak rod eventually.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Date: March 26, 2020 03:43PM

I build a MH worm rod on at revelation and my buddy loves it. you will have yourself a great rod.

Date: March 26, 2020 06:02PM

With 15 pound test braid and 15 pound test leader even a double uni will pass through 4mm micros well, but if you want to be super safe, learn the FG knot. The smallest and strongest knot for leader to braid. Not a piece of cake, but can be done with practice.

Date: March 26, 2020 06:02PM

With 15 pound test braid and 15 pound test leader even a double uni will pass through 4mm micros well, but if you want to be super safe, learn the FG knot. The smallest and strongest knot for leader to braid. Not a piece of cake, but can be done with practice.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 07:47PM

Take a look at BC Grey corrosion control frames, I love the look. By the way, sounds like a great rod. Less is more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2020 08:06PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: March 27, 2020 12:16PM

Paul....keep us in the loop on this build.

I love the 6’8-6’10 ML slot for my smallmouth rods.

If they are a little soft for my liking, I have a trout/walleye rod...a little stiff and I have a great tube/fluke rod.

Paul Park Wrote:
> I went ahead and bought the following. I'll try
> to remember to update this post when I finish the
> build and go fishing a few times.
>
> Blank
> -Rainshadow Revelation REV610MLXF
> Guides
> -Fuji KL-H KR Concept 16H - 8H - 5.5M - KB4.5 -
> KT4.5x5 - 4.5LG tiptop
> Seat
> -Fuji DPSD 16 Seat
> -Fuji KDPS 16 Hoods
>
> I'm trying to mimic Kistler's grip layout with no
> winding checks, focusing on a clean, utilitarian
> build.
>
> I do really enjoy drop shotting as it's so
> effective in the pressured ponds. I may even
> build another with the Bushido blank with the
> alconite guides for a kayak rod eventually.
>
> Thank you all for the feedback!

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2020 07:57AM

I also like the less is more, i do not like to add weight unless I need to. Really have fallen in love with Baston Rapid Speed Spin MVT Toray reel seat.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (50.35.82.---)
Date: March 28, 2020 10:03PM

Consider building on an North Fork Composites blank. Given your price constraints, I would look at the IM or the Delta series.

For an IM blank: [northforkcomposites.com] (about $106 shipped)

For a Delta blank: [northforkcomposites.com]

Manufactured in USA.

Thank You,
Alex

Posted by: Paul Park (---.bcstcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 28, 2020 10:30PM

Too late, did not realize that the price in cart is different from the price listed. I thought NFC blanks were way outside of my price range. I may look into one for a casting rod soon.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster