I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tying-Off a Thread Wrap WITHOUT a Pull-Thorugh Loop
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 24, 2020 04:54PM

Do any of you know how to tie-off a thread wrap WITHOUT using a pull-through loop? I watched a video of a rod builder who ended his thread wraps WITHOUT a pull-through loop. I am fairly certain I learned of the video on this site. My searches have been unsuccessful in relocating that video. The method involved reverse wrapping the thread, of some sorts, a few rotations but the video did not show enough detail for me to understand exactly how to do it and hence I have been unable to perform it myself. I am intrigued with the concept and would like to learn how to do it.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tying-Off a Thread Wrap WITHOUT a Pull-Thorugh Loop
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 24, 2020 05:39PM

I would be interested in that if you find it. No pull loop..interesting...

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: March 24, 2020 06:07PM

Mark

There is a video created by a vendor not a sponsor of this site using super glue to make trim wraps without a pull through, clove hitch, etc. I suspect the technique could be used for the main guide wraps.

I've not tried it yet, but it looks interesting.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 24, 2020 06:08PM

Mark, here is the topic you were looking for.here on rod board. It is a type of whip finish.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2020 06:29PM

Mark I believe this is the video you want. Keep watching as there are consecutive videos on the subject. As you will see, it is more useful off a wrapper than on. It is different, but I'm not sure one gains anything from doing it.

Bob Taylor was a Bamboo rod refinisher of note.

[vimeo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2020 06:30PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: March 24, 2020 07:33PM

Thank you for the prompt replies.
Donald, I have experimented with the Super Glue route but it is more trouble and time than a pull through loop. But Super Glue used for a stand-alone single thread trim band works awesome!
Norman and Phil, that is the video I watched previously = thanks. I had not thought of it before, but as Phil mentioned, the method would certainly be performed easier OFF a wrapper and also with a loose spool of thread. I am still having difficulty seeing exactly what he is doing with the thread. While the gains or benefits one might experience may not be overwhelming, it is certainly intriguing. Apparently the final tag is cut flush with the wrap threads which does not appeal to me for fear it might show from under the wraps. I suppose if it were that much better than the pull-through loop method, everyone would be doing it. I am very comfortable with inserting the tie-off loop early and leaving the cut end of the tag securely buried under the wraps.
When all is said and done, at least we all know a thread wrap can be tied-off without a pull-through loop which I still find intriguing and I will play around with the concept (if I can understand exactly what he is doing with the thread).
Have any of you tied-off a wrap with this method and would like to share any addition insight?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 24, 2020 08:09PM

You don’t need to do this off your wrapper or have the the spool attached for this whip finish. Just cut the thread and basically do a Rizzuto finish like used on an FG knot. Does require wrapping back in the opposite direction to get the threads on top of the tag. Looks pretty easy to do, but still not sure if it’s a better option then using a tie off loop. I guess if you get proficient with it it might save a few seconds, but not sure if it’s worth the time to practice it.
Norm

Date: March 24, 2020 09:31PM

Thanks, Norman. I was unfamiliar with the Rizzuto knot until looking it up after your post. While I have always used a FG knot for saltwater use, after the main FG part of the knot I have simply tied two-half-hitches with the braid tag over both the braid main line and mono/fluoro tag, cut the mono tag close and then two or three half hitches over just the braid main line. Although I have never had a failure, the Rizzuto may be even more secure. You may be correct in that it may not be a better option than the tried-and-true tie-off loop, for security or speed. None the less, it will give me something to do until they let all of us out of our cells.
GOOD HEALTH TO ALL!!!

Mark Talmo

Date: March 24, 2020 09:34PM

It’s alway fun to try something different.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 25, 2020 08:39AM

Fly tiers regularly use a whip-finish tool for no pull-through wrappings. An enlarged version of a whip-finish tool might serve to wrap a multi-piece rod blank, but I'm not sure what advantage that would provide the rod builder.

Posted by: Jake Hardy (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2020 12:09PM

Cool video. I started doing something similar a few months ago with narrow metallic trim bands after I was having trouble pulling metallic thread under the guide wraps.

Wrapped the trim band in the opposite direction of the guide wrap 2-3 times. Taped off. Started guide wrap over both tag ends. then wrapped the metallic back over itself and pull a tag through to tighten up just like a rizzuto. Gave me a much neater thinner trim bands with an unruly metallic that kept jumping and separating with other trim band techniques I tried.

Date: March 25, 2020 05:35PM

Phil Ew. and Jake,
Thank you for your contributions as well. What seems so intriguing to me for thread wraps may be common-place for other applications. As Norman and both Phils mentioned, there may be little to be gained other than the knowledge of an additional method to tie-off a wrap. I suppose if it were better, easier and faster, everyone would employ it.
Thank you to all for taking the time to contribute.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 26, 2020 11:19AM

Cool learning about new techniques. THanks for the share!

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 11:43PM

Theres a few diffrent tools for whip finishing.. And as long as your not a lefty.. And wrap things backwards, the Thompson whip finisher i believe would work.. It's a inline finisher (one direction though)

Honestly the greats in fly tying told it to me best.. It doesnt matter what tool you use or how you do it.. Its all just wrapping thread over thread.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 29, 2020 09:44PM

it does not get any easier than using a pull loop..it,s a proven method for a simple task..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster