I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking back in time.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 22, 2020 12:25AM

Just before the recent troubles I visited a gentleman in his 80's, in his basement were a bunch of custom rods he had built over the years. His sturgeon rod was built on 11 1/2 ft. Lamiglas blank he had shorten to 10 1/2 ft., from the butt and tip to get what he wanted. Instead of 2 + lbs, he had paired down the weight to a bit over a pound and a half by watching his P's and Q's, how things have changed.
He had a decorative wrap I had never seen before, he said it was fairly common back than, it used variegated thread in the chevrons, I liked it a lot. Wished I had taken photos now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking back in time.
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 22, 2020 05:58AM

Special glimpses into the past. They are truly special - all I can say.

I used to visit a small shop that was right on the banks of a small river and they owned the property right up to the dam. They had live bait, tackle, hand tied hair jigs that were so common before plastics, and they even sold some rod blanks! You could pay a small fee to fish off their property - it was just a beautiful place - simpler times.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2020 08:08AM

When I do NERBs gatherings I will often pull out all my issues of Rodmaker magazine dating back to Volume 1, just so the guys who are getting into this understand how much things have changed in the last 20+ years.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 22, 2020 11:30AM

Marc,

Was that by chance Sonnies in Wilmot Wisconsin on the fox river

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 22, 2020 04:59PM

My goodness - YES!!!! Sonnies right in Wilmot!

We used to fish there in the spring with Grandpa. Sometimes not much for fish, but sometimes we get a bunch of crappies in the slower water, or hit the white bass or yellow bass. Wonderful great memories. Or early in the spring piles of carp or suckers on the edge of the fast water - it didn't matter, they were all fun.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 22, 2020 08:11PM

Had an opportunity for such a visit 2 years ago, circumstances led me to leaving it too late. He's gone and I'll never get that chance back. Regrets

Date: March 22, 2020 08:31PM

The Kisners are relatives of mine. Andy and Glenna are my Uncle and Aunt!!!! Crazy small world for sure. Andy is the one who first showed me how to build.

Date: March 22, 2020 08:35PM

I had many great memories at “the damn” it’s truly a shame they removed “the damn” from the river a number of years back. A very special place in my life for sure!! Their grandson still carries on the Sonnies name and is still active in the craft.

Tom

Date: March 22, 2020 09:16PM

You can find him on Facebook at Sonnies fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster