I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod finishes
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 21, 2020 09:41AM

I know that painting a coat of rod finish over the whole rod blank will make the finished rod heavier and slower in action. Does putting a coat of paint, lacquer, or epoxy prevent the blank from absorbing water, or protect it from the sun, or protect it from breakage?

Re: rod finishes
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 10:05AM

Adding weight does not make the rod "slower". Nor does stripping finish off a rod make it faster. Tom, correctly, has said that "the action is the action". Can't change that unless you cut the blank from either end.
The flex profile is not changed.
What you are changing is the rate of recovery - and therefore the performance.

I don't believe that any coating, paint or a thin coating of epoxy will improve the durability of a blank.
All my personal fly rods are raw carbon (CTS' P2000) and I just wax them with a high caranuba car wax to give it a nice glow.
Herb

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 21, 2020 10:26AM

I can't say this with 100 percent accuracy but I think all blanks come with some sort of finish on them and by their formulation are water proof. May be some one else can verify this.

I always apply a coat of paste wax on my rod after I clean it with soap and water.

Paint, PermaGloss or other finish is intended to be permanent and should be protected, the wax is intended to protect the finish and is not a permanent treatment it is sacrificial. I repeat the paint or other coating on blank is a permanent finish, wax is a protectant and is sacrificial.

The wax tends to fill in voids and fine scratches and tries to form an even surface which makes it shinier. The wax also makes the surface “slippery” and somewhat resistant to minor scuffs and rubs. In addition the wax makes the rod easier to keep clean (fish slime, sweat and other contaminants).

Cleaning the rod before applying a coat of wax minimizes wax build up so in theory there is rarely more than one or two coats of wax on the rod.

A great wax to try is "RENAISSANCE" Micro-crystalline wax polish, read up on it, you will find it is very interesting stuff.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 21, 2020 10:32AM

My bad. I don't really understand what a "slower" means. I figured wrapping a lead wire around my fly rod, grip to tip, would slow its action. I do know it would make it into a lousy fly rod, whether because of its action or some other descriptor I know not.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 11:22AM

Phil,
You are correct - just using the wrong words to describe the issue. Fast/Slow refers to a static load.
Fast: The rod "locks-up" closer to the tip under a a given load - a "FAST" lock-up.
A Slower rod locks up further down the rod - a SLOWER lock-up.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 21, 2020 12:25PM

John,
Actually you are incorrect.

Over the years there have been a number of manufacturers who sold polished graphite blanks with 0 finish on them.

For example, the respected IMX line of blanks from G. Loomis.

---------------------
In addition, I have taken rods that have needed rebuilding and have removed every bit of finish. Did a nice polish on the bare graphite or fiberglass and built the rod.

The resin that is used in graphite and fiberglass blanks is completely weather proof and needs no additional finish that simply adds weight to the blank.

Take care

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 03:51PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adding weight does not make the rod "slower". Nor
> does stripping finish off a rod make it faster.
> Tom, correctly, has said that "the action is the
> action". Can't change that unless you cut the
> blank from either end.
> The flex profile is not changed.
> What you are changing is the rate of recovery -
> and therefore the performance.
>
> I don't believe that any coating, paint or a thin
> coating of epoxy will improve the durability of a
> blank.
> All my personal fly rods are raw carbon (CTS'
> P2000) and I just wax them with a high caranuba
> car wax to give it a nice glow.
> Herb

Totally agree with Herb and I will add that sensitivity will be affected (performance).

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2020 05:48PM

If you keep your rod clean and perhaps add a coat of wax now and then, it's going to have about all the protection from the elements that it requires. So of the new automotive ceramic waxes might be a good option due to their longevity on the surface.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster