I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Testors Enamel Paint
Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 08:52AM

I did an inscription on my blank and while it’s not bad looking I think I might replace it with acrylic paint. My thought was to soak a piece of paper towel in DNA and lay it over the inscription. The enamel has dried for about 72 hours.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Testors Enamel Paint
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 21, 2020 11:00AM

Hello Mike.

You could try brush cleaner or Citristrip stripping gel.

But if you use the Citristrip if the blank is painted it will remove the paint (after all it is a paint stripper), with the brush cleaner you might want to check on a spot that will be covered to see if it will remove the blank paint, and if it does I guess you could try DNA rubbed vigorously or maybe chip it off with a razorblade held at 90%.

Hope one of them works for you.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 21, 2020 11:16AM

Thanks Bob. I might just leave things alone. For the next build I’m looking at a radiograph pen or open to other suggestions. I’d prefer hand inscription vs decals as it gives a more personal feel.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 21, 2020 12:37PM

Mike,
For all of the lettering that is done on the rods that I build are done with a pen and quill using Acrylic ink. Simple, works well and you use the particular quill that you need for the type lettering you are doing.

[www.dickblick.com]

[www.dickblick.com]

[www.dickblick.com]

[www.dickblick.com]

Take care

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 12:38PM

DNA will not affect enamel. As stated above, if it is an unpainted blank a paint stripper will work

Date: March 21, 2020 12:54PM

Roger - that’s the speedball pen set I’ve been using with Testors enamel. I’ve used the extra fine quills with ok success. Maybe the acrylic will work better and give me a finer line. I’ll order some of the acrylic ink.
Thanks

Date: March 21, 2020 03:49PM

Mike,
Copy that.

Before the acrylic was available I used Testors enamel.

But, since I began to use acrylic, I have not looked back and have not used Testors in several years.

Date: March 21, 2020 07:48PM

Roger - a few questions. Is there a specific brand of acrylic ink you found to work better? I was going to order some Speedball waterproof in white. Do you prep the quill by polishing the tip on a wood surface or similar? Do you spray over the acrylic then apply epoxy? And, do you write directly on the blank or put down a layer of epoxy first?

I put down the first layer of epoxy on the fly rod I’m working on. It looks better than I thought. Glad I left it alone.

Thanks

Date: March 21, 2020 08:31PM

Mike,
I use the nibs straight from the wrapper. I keep cleaner handy so that I can clean the nib every few minutes. Keeping the nib clean is the secret to using a pen and nib.

I have tried a couple of different inks but prefer the Speedball in white for most of the lettering.

I just wipe down the blank before lettering and then when dry - do the lettering. Nevery put any epoxy on the finish first.

Also, I never spray anything over the lettering either.

However, when I apply finish, I never let the brush touch the blank as it is turning for finish application. I apply the finish before and after the lettering as the rod rotates and let gravity cause the finish to flow over the wrapping. If needed, I add a tiny amount of heat to let the finish flow more easily.

Before doing this I would sometimes smear the lettering and would have to repeat the procedure.

But, by using just the right amount of finish and then not touching the lettering, but just letting the finish flow over the lettering to seal the lettering has worked without fail.

Then, if necessary, a 2nd coat of finish may be applied. But as the case with the rest of the blank, I seldom need more than one coat of finish on the rod. I have always used high build flex coat and this system works very well for me.

Particularly, when I am in a production mode of needing to ship as soon as finished, saving one or two drying cycles mean that the rod ships one or two days sooner by only using one coat of finish.

If the finish is perfect with one coat - there in no need to add more finish and weight to the rod.

Take care

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 08:42PM

Acetone would likely remove it. Do it outside, so's not to inhale the fumes. (before I get jumped on. lol)

Date: March 21, 2020 09:57PM

Lynn,
Copy that.
Yes, acetone will easily remove Testors Enamel paint, but it will also remove every big of finish that is under the paint.

However, if you have finish under the paint, then you can use the acetone safely because the finish will shield the blank finish from the acetone.

Take care

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: March 23, 2020 11:22AM

Enamel paint can be fairly brittle - maybe try picking it off with a thumbnail, etc. to avoid possible solvent issues. Plastic worms or grubs also melt enamel if it's used as a jig paint... I'm assuming that all rod finishes are "worm proof" so you could try laying a soft plastic bait on the enamel for a couple of days or so.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 23, 2020 08:15PM

Actually Mike, the DNA thing was a good idea . Wrap a piece of towel around it, soak with DNA, let it sit a few minutes and it might soften enough for the thumbnail scrape to work. A little heat from a heatgun would aid in this.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster