I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Proof fly fishing blank vs matrix
Posted by: Palmi Hlodversson (---.du.xdsl.is)
Date: March 20, 2020 02:36PM

Hi
I´m kinda new in rodbuilding and I´m looking for a blank 6 wt for trout fishing, freshwater mainly, windy conditions.
I´m wondering about Proof fly fishing 9' 6wt. (four piece) carbon fiber fast action vs matrix AMERICAN TACKLE AMF906 (MAF906) FLY ROD BLANK, 9', 6 WT.
Any comments please!

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Proof fly fishing blank vs matrix
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 20, 2020 02:44PM

American tackle all the way. Their fly blanks are better than you would think. And they’re lighter stuff is as good as any light freshwater fly blank I have used.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 20, 2020 03:10PM

Traditional lines and rods work well in their place but are neither designed for or very effective in windy conditions. You should test-cast a 6 wt. Temple Forks 6 wt. BVK with a weight-forward 7 wt. line on a windy day to see how it performs. But if your casts are all less than 20 feet long, no worries - pick the prettiest rod.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 20, 2020 04:32PM

Like Mike said... the Matrix is one of those hidden gems that everyone seems to love.... not only beautiful but also easy to cast.

Like Phil mentioned.. with any fly rod play with your lines and figure out the best one for you and your rod.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2020 07:07PM

I have a Matrix showing up at my house tomorrow, 7wt. Cant wait to build it, I pick up these blanks at the ICRBE show and was amazed at the weight and feel of them.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 03:47PM

If it is windy, just over line your 5wt with a 6wt line (assuming you have a 5 wt). I would make a 7 wt instead that way you can deal with wind better and throw larger streamer flies when its calm. I travel to southern Patagonia about twice a year and in the summer (December January) it is really windy on some days, like 40 knots plus and a 7 wt is minimum. It will also work on calm to slightly windy days in saltwater. That being said; it doesn't hurt to have as many fly rods as possible. I have only picked up and played with the Matrix AT blanks and they do feel "right" to me but I have not messed with any Proof blanks.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 22, 2020 01:14AM

Are you new to fly fishing or just rod building? I have never really heard a bad thing said about a Matrix rod on this forum, and I have read positive feeedback on Proof as well, but I have not fished either. What rod are you currently fishing? Do you like it or not? Do you like a rod with fast or medium action?

Posted by: Palmi Hlodversson (---.du.xdsl.is)
Date: March 22, 2020 07:35AM

Thanks for your answer all....

New to rodbuilding yes, new to fly fishing no.

I do have loop blackline #6, kinda like it but not :)

I did look into TFO bvk like Phil pointed out, I might go for that one for now. But matrix and proof fly are on bucket list for next rod.

Thanks.....

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 22, 2020 02:06PM

I've not tossed a Loop fly rod, so cannot comment.

The BVK has been kind of an honored and well-reviewed rod in the lower priced OEM world, and has had a long life cycle. Fairly stout but not a broom stick. You can always go to a shop and test cast a few rods to see what feel you really like. also, as to price range, since you mention Proof and Matrix, I am presuming you are thinking under $100 for a blank. As to BVK, blanks for that model are available to the public. A Matrix blank would be of similar quality, tho likely feel and cast a bit differently. Rod Builders Warehouse has some Diamond Back blanks on deep discount right now, tho I have never tossed them I have heard good things. At the $70 to $100 price range the great thing is the modern carbon technology gives us some great options -- Matrix certainly one of them.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 22, 2020 05:28PM

Matrix rod blanks are always a treasured raffle win at our annual rodbuilding gathering. There must be a reason. My only Matrix is built as a panfish spin rod, and it does well there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster