I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass Rod Guides
Posted by: Rich Henderson (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2020 07:07PM

I have a couple guide questions. I have several Rods to build and considering all thats going on why not build them now but after looking at my on hand guides I would have to miss match them defeating my idea. I'd like to build them all as consistant ( same guides ) as possible. These are all casting rods for freshwater large mouth bass and since my ole eyes are not what they used to be, I leaning away from Micro's. I personally like smaller guides for handling and fishing, but want to make sure I can see them well enough to thread the line. Given all the good guides out there today which guides and sizes would you all recommend? I'm was leaning toward the newer microwave's but want to make sure before ordering 10-12 sets, these will be my personal rods I plan to keep for many years. My favorite Flipping Rod has Three double foot ( strippers ) the single foot runners the rest of the way to the tip.

Next question? is it to much to ask to keep the guides the same for all these rods, differnt applications? Or should I just mix guides & sizes for the different rod applications, Flipping, Crankbaits, Top water, Jig, Frog, etc. I built a Crankbait Rod last year with micro guides, I really like how well it cast's and handles but struggle to thread the line.
Anyway sorry to ask a redundant question but thought I'd like to hear your suggestions given the selection of guides that are out there today.
Thanks in advance I look forward to your suggestions.
Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass Rod Guides
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 19, 2020 07:51PM

Rich, a few posts below this one find, Advice Needed: Guide spacing. Read it paying attention to Norms' reply. I would build all these rods this way with the Fuji K guides of your choice.

Date: March 19, 2020 08:17PM

Lynn, Thanks I'll look for the post.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 19, 2020 10:13PM

Rich,
You indicate that you have questions about your vision.

I would just like to ask a couple of questions.

Do you have super bright lighting over the area where you are wrapping.

Do you have corrected vision for reading?

Do you use a head band mounted magnifier to assist with your wrapping chores.

If not, consider all of the above to be in your best interest to continue wrapping.

Head band example:
[www.amazon.com]

With a head bank like listed above, one can still wear glasses and nothing is in the way of each other.

This is the light that I have used for several years, to provide very very very bright illumination - just over the area that I am wrapping.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

In addition, the rest of the shop is very well lighted with strip fixtures on the ceiling of my all white wrapping room. By having everything white, the overall shop is much brighter than it would be with darker colors in the room.

Best wishes.

Date: March 19, 2020 10:24PM

-----------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2020 10:25PM by roger wilson.

Date: March 19, 2020 10:25PM

Roger
Yes I just installed LED Lights in my shop and they are awesome, shop is very bright, has made a big difference

Yes I'm to the point of wearing 2.0 Reading glasses, a little frustrating considering a few ( 10 ) years 20/20 or better vision

No I've been wanting to get a head mounted magnifier and it looks to be in my near future, Thank you

I will certainly look into these and very much appreciate the tip / lead.

Thanks again.
Rich

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2020 10:38PM

Man Rich, I didn't realize how bad my vision was till you said you could hardly see with 2.0 reading glasses. Iv'e been wearing those for about 3 years. For your work bench get the round light magnifiers, wear your reading glasses when using it and you should be able to see to wrap them. When fishing get one of those three packs of 3.0 readers just to string up the line on the guides with and keep them with your fishing gear. I have to get at least three because I can loose them pretty fast. Don't compromise while your still breathing.

Date: March 20, 2020 02:37AM

Lance,
I just had double cataract surgery.
Before having the surgery, I was always happy to be able to read fairly well with at least one eye due to its condition.

However, after cataract surgery and new lens in both eyes, which were both distance lens, I can see virtually nothing close up any more with out the aid of glasses.

However, I really don't mind, since my overall vision with appropriate glasses better than it has been in many years.

But, I have had to adapt to remember to keep my reading and or close up glasses close if I have a need to read anything.

But, I do have the correct glasses to use with my head band magnifiers and crystal clear vision at any distance with my assortment of glasses that I have purchased since my operations.

As we go through life - we have to continually adjust to the changes that happen to each of us as we go from birth to the other end.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 20, 2020 07:07AM

Piece of cake- all you need to do is use the Fuji RV-6 for the first guide and KB's and KT's of your size choice for all the rest, one size to the end. For cast I would use two or three KB's , especially for the heavier power rods. Size 5 1/2 is easy to thread.and still quite light. You also can get the Fuji threadiing tool to help.

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 20, 2020 09:33AM

Rich,
Fuji came out with a tool called speed threader to use to run line through micro guides and it works good. I'am like you with seeing how to run line through those micro guides. The Rod Room has the threader, which is a vendor here on the left.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 20, 2020 09:44AM

For those who need close up vision help while fishing Duluth Trading has a nice polaroid sunglass that is a bi-focal, works well for me, is not that pricey as many polaroids are.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 20, 2020 10:34AM

For many years I've seen clip on, flip up lens that fly fishers put on their fishing caps. Another option afield.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 20, 2020 09:37PM

Rich, I might suggest size 5 runners, still small but not "tiny" from a threading standpoint. ( or as Michael said above, had I been paying full attention)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 07:29PM by Lynn Behler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster