I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best glue to use to build custom handles
Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 05:52PM

Hey Guys,
Looking for some a advise on which is the best glue to use when making a custom cork handle with burl cork. I am new to this part of custom rod building but want to expand on my builds. I purchased a bench top lathe and have my burl cork. I have watched quite a few YouTube vidies but would like your opinions on which glue you like to use and why. Pro - Cons. I have purchased Elmer's Wood Glue, Pro Paste, and already have Flex Coat Epoxy Glue.
Thanks in advance
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best glue to use to build custom handles
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 06:23PM

Rick

I use Titebond III. Its a water proof wood glue and works well for gluing up cork rings.

Rog

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2020 06:24PM

Hands down Flex Coat has you covered.

Rod Builders Epoxy Glue
[flexcoat.com]
Working time is around 20 minutes and you can work with it in 1 hour. Flows into places you can't reach.

Five Minute Epoxy
[flexcoat.com]
Working time is around 5 to 10 minutes and you can work with it in 20 minutes. Again, it flows well.

@#$%& or High Water
[flexcoat.com]
Working time is 45 min to 1 hour and you can work with it in 3 hours. Stays where you put it, won't flow. Un-beatable adhesion and durability.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 06:26PM

West System GFlex 250.
Flexible and can't even remove reel seat with torch - true.

Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 06:27PM

Whatever you use needs to be waterproof, Elmer's Wood Glue is not! I use Titebond lll for cork(including burl) and wood. epoxy for when I am mixing in any other mediums.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2020 06:42PM

Waterproof wood glue is fine, but I will caution you that for whatever reason it plays heck with mandrels and will quickly rust them. So once the grip is glued up and ready to turn, get it done, remove it from the mandrel and clean the mandrel before putting it away.

Any good liquid or gel-type epoxy works equally well on cork and composite handles. And, of course, it'll be waterproof as well.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 09:05PM

I use U40 Rod Bond paste. I butter it on both sides, than scrape off as much as I can, to ensure I have no glue lines. There's enough on there always to give me a sound grip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2020 09:18PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 18, 2020 09:06PM

Rick'
More input.

For cork and burl cork I like to use contact cement, Pliobond, Weldwood, etc They are waterproof, flexible and does not leave a hard glue line.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 19, 2020 12:25AM

Over the years, I have tried them all, but I currently use titebond III.

It cures well, holds tight and is much easier to sand than any epoxy.

But, because it is an air cure, after removing a grip from the mandrel, it is necessary to leave the grip to cure another 24 hours so that the inside of the grip can cure.

Also, Mr. Kirkman is right about a water based glue like titebond III causing rust issues.

So, as soon as a grip is removed from a mandrel and I have a few minutes, I chuck it into a variable speed drill and hole it while spinning against a wire wheel spinning on a grinder. This operation removes any trace of moisture and or any potential rust spots.

Then, I just spray down the mandrel with wd-40 which is a rust preventative and was designed for the military for this very use.

Take care

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (198.16.31.---)
Date: March 19, 2020 08:58AM

Titebond III is also my adhesive choice when gluing up cork rings. TB III is applied to each ring before sliding onto either my 1/4” or 3/8” steel mandrel. The mandrel is then mounted into a hand clamp and pressure applied. The mandrel is then immediately slid out of the rings, taken to a wash basin, washed with soap and very hot water, and dried thoroughly.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: March 19, 2020 09:45AM

Funny the one glue I didn't have is the one that most seem to use. I will get some of the title bond III and give it a try when when I make my first handle.
Once again asked and answered by many.
Great source of information.
Thank you to all that gave me their input
Rick

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 19, 2020 11:15AM

When gluing rings together you want them firmly squeezed together, but not too tight. Too tight will squeeze most of the adhesion out. I know the terms are subjective, but don't know how to describe it any better.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2020 03:46PM

Flex coat fast setting epoxy. You can start turning after an hour. Its waterproof and you can not see the lines in the cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster