I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice Needed: Guide spacing
Posted by: Jason Yu (---.networktransit.net)
Date: March 17, 2020 12:20PM

I recently started a new casting rod build and I can't wrap my head around the guide spacing for this blank;

Point Blank 731MXF 7'3"

I've completely redone my other rods and none of them have the line touching the blank under load. I used the same amount of guides on all my rods that range from 7' to 7'2". (11+Tip Top)

KW8 > KW6 > KW 5.5 > KB5 x3 > KT5 x5 > TipTop. I like the KW8 as the stripper guide, I haven't had any issues using it in the past builds.

I've been putting the stripper guide 20" from the reel face (roughly 53.5" from the tiptop), and the first guide behind the tip at 3.5", this is my base layout for new builds, it's worked great. I have the split grip handle at 10.75" behind my Fuji KSKTS16 reel seat.
The line starts touching the blank at the top of the bend towards the tip. The further I move the KW8 stripper guide back towards the reel (roughly 19" from the face of the reel) the less the line touches the blank near the tip. The spacing I found works the best but still is not perfect is from Batson Immortal Blueprint 7'3" rod, which goes;

TipTop
1. 3.5
2. 7.125
3. 10.875
4. 14.75
5. 18.75
6. 23.5
7. 28.75
8. 34.375
9. 40.375
10. 47
11. 54.25

I'm using Titanium Torzites, so weight isn't a huge issue here, I've considered adding another guide, which would make it 12+tiptop. Has anyone built on this blank that can offer any insight? Or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is it the XFast action that is making this difficult?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2020 12:24PM by Jason Yu.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice Needed: Guide spacing
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 17, 2020 12:49PM

For a KR build use either the RV6 or KW10 as the stripper followed by a KW5.5 (or KB5.5) and then your KB/KT 5 runners. The KW 10 and RV6 are recommended by Fuji because they give you the proper height above the blank for optimum performance. Try it you will like it. For my PB731MXF Rods I place the stripper at 20” from the reel.
Norm

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 17, 2020 02:39PM

Iason,
Try

11 guides .......... 12 guides
Tip 0 ....... 0
1... 1.68 ...... 1.36
2... 3.70 ....... 3.00
3... 6.11 ....... 4.96
4... 9.00 ....... 7.32
5... 12.50 ......... 10.15
6... 16.68 .......... 13.55
7... 21.70 .......... 17.62
8... 27.71 ........ 22.51
9... 34.93 ........ 28.38
10... 43.60 ....... .. 35.42
11 ...54.00 ........... 43.86
12 ------ ............. 54.00

Try this for a first attempt, tape the guides on and give it a whirl and adjust from there.

Have fun
John

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2020 09:30PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2020 03:38PM

Those Fuji blanks have a large butt and a small tip. I believe 11 guides should work fine with the sizes you are using. Set your 1st guide from the tip top at 3.25" and keep the stripper where you got it. With a real flexy tip you just need to move the 1st guide a little closer to the tip top. I would do something like this (INCHES):
TT

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: March 17, 2020 06:52PM

Jason, I have found that the action of some POINT Blanks works best when you static load with no regard for progressive spacing. The top sections are very fast and I will often have the 3rd, 4th or 5th guides back from the tip closer together than 1st and 2nd guide back. Sometimes as close as 3.5 - 4 inches apart. Let the blank tell you. Load it to about 90-degrees and work from there. It won't take as many guides as you think. 9, maybe 10 plus top.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 17, 2020 07:13PM

Jason,
It is simple.

If you don't want line to touch the blank you add more guides in that area, or you use taller guides.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 17, 2020 08:31PM

It' o.k if the line touches, as long as it doesn't go below. That being said I don't like when it touches either. If I was springing that much for a rod, I'd use as many guides as I thought it took.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 17, 2020 11:35PM

Simple, spiral wrap it with 9 guides and enjoy.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 18, 2020 02:19PM

I'm with Jim, the blank tells me where the guides go on all rods.

Posted by: Jason Yu (12.250.65.---)
Date: March 18, 2020 05:09PM

Thank you Jim, and everyone else.

I have finally got it pretty much where I want it to be. I figured it all out by static load testing after wrapping the stripper guide and the first guide behind the tiptop to the blank.

I put the choke guides closer to the stripper guide and the first couple of running guides closer to the tiptop. The middle guides are about 4"-5" from each other. The stripper guide 20" from the reel face, the first guide behind the tiptop at 3.25".

I also bent the KB and KT guide rings to a 90 deg. bend from the guide foot. I don't know if this is acceptable practice but it worked well. The guide foot is flat to the blank and the ring is almost straight up and down. More the KT guides than the KB. The KB's rings are almost at a 90 deg and the KT's look like they're at a 60 deg from the factory?

can't wait to epoxy everything and fish it this weekend!

Thank you all.

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jason, I have found that the action of some POINT
> Blanks works best when you static load with no
> regard for progressive spacing. The top sections
> are very fast and I will often have the 3rd, 4th
> or 5th guides back from the tip closer together
> than 1st and 2nd guide back. Sometimes as close as
> 3.5 - 4 inches apart. Let the blank tell you. Load
> it to about 90-degrees and work from there. It
> won't take as many guides as you think. 9, maybe
> 10 plus top.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2020 05:14PM by Jason Yu.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 18, 2020 05:36PM

The only chance of a problem from bending is most likely a compromise to the tangle shedding of the guides. Likely not a big deal.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 08:48PM

How many guides did you use Jason?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 19, 2020 12:27AM

Jason,
I have to ask why you straightened the guides from their optimum tangle shedding factory bend?

If it was because you wanted more height, a better choice would have been to add one or two more guides.

Posted by: Jason Yu (12.250.65.---)
Date: March 19, 2020 11:56AM

I used 11+1 number of guides.

I didn't have to bend the guides to keep the line off the blank, but it helped a little more. Like I said, it's probably not very practical to do so, but I haven't had much issues in doing so. I should mention, I didn't use a tool to bend the guides, just my fingers, it doesn't take much effort on the Titanium guides, and they bend back no problem at all.

I don't find myself having line tangle much because the runners are so small. If I do I just wiggle my rod a little and the line comes off. My 10+ year old rods with the much bigger running guides are a pain in the rear for line tangle lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2020 12:02PM by Jason Yu.

Posted by: Wes Woods (---)
Date: March 19, 2020 07:46PM

It's interesting because I am doing a light spinning rod now and when I was looking for some guidance on set up I could not really find the info I wanted.
I then did some testing and ended up with 10 guides on a 7'3" blank which seemed like a lot but I guess its right on.
Also first time I used up to 4 micro guides so that was a first.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: March 19, 2020 09:04PM

Isn't it better to let the blank tell you how many guides it needs, rather than telling the blank how many guides you're going to use on it?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: March 20, 2020 07:01AM

I checked my rod built from this blank a couple years ago and it appears I did it much like Jim Ising recommends. 9 guides, I believe. Very nice rod.

Posted by: Mick Murphy (31.127.52.---)
Date: March 23, 2020 04:54PM

Hello Jason have you watched the the video ( a revolution in rod component layout and design ) on youtube by Fuji? Good video btw, I think your first three guides are to small should be able to kit that rod with 9 guides plus tip, I would try 12,10, 8, then 6x6 running to 6 tip or 10, 8, 6, 6x4 running to 4 tip that my 2 bobs worth hope this helps ????

Posted by: Mick Murphy (31.127.52.---)
Date: March 23, 2020 05:01PM

Sorry the question marks was supposed to be a thumbs up new here lol

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: April 14, 2020 09:47AM

Following

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster