I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap epoxy repair
Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2020 06:40PM

I just finished my first light coat of epoxy this morning. This afternoon I was checking the epoxy and notice a few guides have tiny nubs of thread. I singed the thread tag ends and did light burnishing as well as made sure no dust was on the wrap before I applied the first coat. So at this point should I try and sand them down or go with the second coat? I don’t have a power wrapper so sanding may just be taking a strip of 200 grit and hand sanding.

I’m not sure how these showed up.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Photo of one of the wraps
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap epoxy repair
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 14, 2020 06:57PM

Hello Mike.

Just take a razor blade and cut off the nubs and re-coat.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 14, 2020 07:39PM

I’ll try that. I did pick up a scalpel for this build which I like much better than razor blades. Incredibly sharp.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2020 07:40PM

As Robert said, use a razor blade and just slice off the nubs. After your second coat you will not know they were there. Sanding will just fray the thread!

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: March 15, 2020 04:37AM

Use the Razor/Scalpel method, to much risk to hit the thread if sanding resulting in fuzzy.

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: March 15, 2020 09:37AM

Instead of a razor blade I use a finger nail clipper tool, cuts clean and can control depth not to cut into the wraps.

Date: March 15, 2020 10:42AM

I delicately cleaned up the nubs. But as I was applying the second coat of epoxy I found a few more ????. I’ll let the second coat dry and clean things up and then apply a very light third coat. Good thing is I’m applying light coats for a slow build.

In my previous builds I’ve not had as many issues with nubs. I’m wondering if it’s the thread or how I singed the cutoffs.

Thanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 15, 2020 11:34AM

Mike,
A couple of points.

Whenever I cut the ends of the threads after pulling the thread through the wrapping for security, I take the end of the thread and pull it very tight. This actually stretches the thread.

Then, I use a pair of very sharp very thin fly tying scissors.

For example: [www.drslick.com]

By the way, I have used the same pair of Dr. Slicks scissors for the last many years that I have been building rods. I think in all of those years, I have sharpened the scissors twice.

Note:
I do NOT use these scissors for general purpose thread cutting. I ONLY use the Dr. Slick scissors for cutting the tag ends of wraps.

For other general purpose thread cutting, I use a pair of sewing machine nipper scissors that I generally sharpen once a year.

For example:
[www.amazon.com]

or:

[www.michaels.com]

By using scissors rather than a scalpel, razor blade or other blade, there is minimum possibility that other threads will be nicked and cut that requires a re wrap.

Then, I use a flame to tend to melt and eliminate any tag ends that are still sticking up. Then, I do a final burnish on the threads which eliminate nearly all of the bumps and or tag ends.

Then, after the first coat, I will go over the wraps again checking for tag end bumps and sand or nick them off if one happens to be sticking up which seldom happens.

Date: March 15, 2020 02:13PM

Roger - I’ll give the scissors a try. I am probably not pulling the thread enough to have it pull back into the over wrap.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 15, 2020 03:01PM

Another option is to never have to cut a tag end in the wrap. Instead when your wrapping put in your pull loop maybe 10 wraps before you finish, pull the thread and pull loop to the point where both are in hard contact with the wrap, now cut the tag and than pull under the thread, the tag end will now be hidden under the wrap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2020 03:05PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 15, 2020 04:39PM

I'm with Spencer.

Posted by: Mike Gabbay (104.129.194.---)
Date: March 16, 2020 08:30AM

Roger - I was playing around on a spare blank with your method of pulling harder on the tag end and snipping with scissors (DR Slick midge scissors) and it worked much better than when I used a razor or scalpel. A little light burnishing and under a magnifier I could not see any nibs or wisps of thread. This morning I inspected the results of the second coat on the fly blank I'm currently working on. So far so good. Only a few cleanup spots and I'll apply the third coat later today. Since I'm working from home for at least the rest of the month, I will have free time to work on some rods. A 3 hour commute savings!

Thanks and stay healthy!

Date: March 16, 2020 09:25AM

Hello Mike.

If you do as Spencer instructs you will have no nub to burnish.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 16, 2020 09:33AM

Robert - I've tried that and it seems I always get a little tail end. I'll play around with that some more to see if I can perfect my method.

Date: March 16, 2020 10:14AM

Hello Mike.

After you have cut off the tag-end take your pull-loop and pull it in same direction you are wrapping (I wrap down in front so I pull down and back, mostly down).

And if that doesn't do well wrap 15 threads over the pull-loop, but 10 should be fine.

Hope that helps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 16, 2020 02:42PM

With nylon thread you are basically stretching it then cutting, the thread pulls itself back under the wrap. I was having more difficulty with polyester thread like Fuji with this because it doesn't stretch as much as nylon. I also started using small Flush Cut diagonal electric wire snips, these are the best things I have found that will usually not accidentally cut thread you don't want being cut.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 16, 2020 06:26PM

I'm still with Spencer, and Robert. Learn how to do it and your trimming days are over.

Date: March 17, 2020 10:59AM

Good news... I applied the 3rd coat of epoxy last night after do another round of cleanup of any remaining tag ends. The wraps look much better. I need to apply epoxy on the bottom two sections tonight so hopefully by the weekend this build will be done.

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 07:14PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Mike.
>
> After you have cut off the tag-end take your
> pull-loop and pull it in same direction you are
> wrapping (I wrap down in front so I pull down and
> back, mostly down).
>
> And if that doesn't do well wrap 15 threads over
> the pull-loop, but 10 should be fine.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
>
> Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

All of the responses in this thread were good - as was the original question. The response by Robert quoted above really helped me understand and get rid of that nub. Pulling in the same direction as the wrap really made intuitive sense, and I did a couple practice wraps with great results.

This forum is great, I appreciate all of the help I've gotten on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster