I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Wrapping Epoxy Questions
Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2020 04:20PM

I'm new to this...

On my first build (4pc fly rod), I used a Flex Coat all-in-one kit. I was happy with the results.

On the second build, I went back to buy more epoxy for the guide wraps, and the guy behind the counter suggested Flex Coat Lite.

I'm not as happy with the finish. It's a little uneven in places, too thin in others even after a couple of coats.

I'm completely confident it's all user error.

So, the questions:

Is it ok to keep adding coats until I'm happier with the thickness of the coat? Is there a time frame after which I shouldn't try it at all?

Is it common to need to apply more than two coats?

Just so I'm clear, I have no problem with the product other than I probably tried something that's a bit beyond my experience level.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Wrapping Epoxy Questions
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 14, 2020 05:57PM

The instructions with your finish should tell you how much time you have to re-coat without having to scuff wraps with scotchbrite prior to coating. If it's too thin give it another thin coat. Watch the Flexcoat videos. Most get by with 2 coats , some with one. You can ask Flexcoat they are extremely helpful. Not sure what comes with the all in one kit but suspect it may have been hi-build. Do some forum searches, all dates, lots of info on this topic.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2020 06:36PM

Yes - it is O.K. to add as many coats as you wish until you like the results.
It shouldn't be uneven though. Do you mean humps and valleys along the length of the wrap?
Fly rod wraps when finished should be as short as possible. maybe you were not applying it evenly. On a short wrap you don't have ot do much "sidewise" pulling of finish - except on the butt wrap.
My email is "visable" if you want to shoot me a picure.
Herb
CTS

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 14, 2020 07:01PM

Tom, with fly rods i like to keep epoxy coats down to just one coat..the only way i know to do that is to first seal the wraps with color preserver, then the epoxy goes on without soaking into the wrap and creating thick and thin spots which must be coated with epoxy again and again just making the wraps heavier and heavier..CP to seal is much lighter than epoxy to seal the wraps..

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 15, 2020 01:40AM

Tom,
I doubt you are doing anything incorrectly while applying thread finish; each finish requires a bit of a learning-curve to get comfortable with its own properties and end-results. BASICALLY, high-build thread finishes enable a single coat to be applied but may not level/flow out as well as regular or light counterparts. I typically use the light versions to keep the overall weight down on ultra-light rods and simply add a coat, or two, with the heavier saltwater builds. I prefer the visible thread definition on my trout builds but glob it on the saltwater builds for additional protection from the harsh environment and where weight is a mood-point.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2020 02:01PM

Thanks for the help everyone -

This forum is very useful, the responses friendly and on point.

I'm going to do some more research, do some testing with additional coats.

This whole experience - starting to build rods - has been really fun and interesting.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 15, 2020 04:14PM

Yet another hooked on rod building.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2020 03:36PM

Tom

Give me a call. I would be happy to talk to you.

512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2020 04:34PM

Hi John -

Many thanks for that offer. What great customer service.

I applied another coat last night- the Lite version- and I'm pretty happy with the result.

I need to get the rod out in the sun for a final look, but again I think it looks pretty good.

Your company's video tutorials are great, by the way.

If I run into some sort of hitch, I'll give you a call.

Take care,

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster