I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
accuracy
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 11:39AM

Where can I find reliable information about which spinning rod blanks are the most accurate? Are test results available for inspection? If not, which blank(s) get the most votes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: accuracy
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 12, 2020 12:01PM

I do not know what you mean by accuracy.

So my response is "Accuracy is a function of the proficiency of the user".

John

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 12:06PM

shorter rods are the most accurate..or you can always get in closer and flip or pitch with a longer rod but your prpbably talking fly fishing, so again go with a shorter rod and shorter cast..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2020 12:06PM

Accuracy is in the hands of the person making the cast.

Date: March 12, 2020 12:11PM

Not in the ads - or the people who put the words "rod" and "accuracy" next to each other?

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 12:14PM

why would you care what the ads say???

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: March 12, 2020 12:14PM

So contact those people and ask them. Tom pretty much answered it in a nutshell.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 12:31PM

Hello All.

I like John's too.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:07PM

If a rod blank is straight and if the rod that is built on a straight blank - will not introduce any change in the direction of the item being cast.

So, I would suggest that all straight fishing rods are equally accurate.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:21PM

Any rod that is well matched with the right size line and lure weight is going to be the EASIEST to cast accurately - a skilled angler can quickly adapt to less than ideal combinations if needed.

Date: March 12, 2020 01:41PM

Thanks, Roger. Now, where can I find a reliable, accurate chart of which blanks are the straightest? I know how straight I cast, but I can't find any information at ALL in millimeters or inches how straight any blank is - BEFORE I buy it! Rod sellers & advertisers promise great accuracy but I have never seen any numbers or proof, have you?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 12, 2020 02:53PM

Phil,
I buy a blank. I receive the blank. I sight down the blank and if it is straight, I build the rod. If it is not straight, I return it and ask for another.

All manufacturers strive to make and ship quality straight blanks.

Most of the blanks that are shipped, are indeed straight.

But, if I receive a blank that has a curve at the tip that is not too bad, I will still build on that blank. I will just be sure to have the line path be in line with the curve so that the curve does not induce any issues in the lure or bait as it is being cast.

Then, take for example - down rigger rods. Down rigger rods spend their lives bent in an arc. Never worry about a down rigger blank because with a 10 lb weight n the end of the rod, the blank will bend to follow the stress placed on the rod.

Best wishes.

Date: March 12, 2020 03:04PM

I am thinking about building fly rods deliberately with right or left curves. If I fish when there's a wind on my right shoulder I can use my rod which is crooked to the right, canceling out the wind curve and enabling me to cast straight.

Date: March 12, 2020 04:48PM

A crooked or curved rod will not cast to one side. The tip will still move in a straight line and the lure or line will be cast in the direction of that straight line.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: March 12, 2020 05:03PM

smh

Date: March 12, 2020 06:41PM

A curved or crooked rod will cast in a straight line! S-a-a-a-y, that means all the talk about buying the straightest components to build the straightest rod to cast with the greatest accuracy is pure hokum!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 07:09PM

Specifically to fly rods, the line goes in the direction that the rod tip goes when it is unloaded. Lefty Kreh demonstrated this by starting a cast then dropping the rod, the line continued in the direction that the tip was going before the rod was dropped. Whether the tip was at the end of a curved rod made no difference, as long as the tip was traveling in a straight line.

Date: March 12, 2020 07:47PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A curved or crooked rod will cast in a straight
> line! S-a-a-a-y, that means all the talk about
> buying the straightest components to build the
> straightest rod to cast with the greatest accuracy
> is pure hokum!

Yes.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 08:33PM

Hooray! Hokum exposed!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 08:34PM

Hooray! Hokum exposed!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster