I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Medium for colored powder pigments
Posted by: Tom Harder (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 09:07PM

Hi Guys and Gals,

Do any of you Guys know what the carriers are in the wet colors we can buy from most epoxy shops to color our epoxies? Is it acrylic or alcohol or a combination? Is it the same as acrylic mixing mediums offered by Golden or Liquitex? It smells like acrylic paints. And what of the Gel mediums or heavy bodied acrylic mediums, if added with our finish epoxies, what will it do to it?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Medium for colored powder pigments
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2020 09:11PM

Anything you add to epoxy will have some effect, mostly negative. Most pigments are acrylic. Either way, you want to use the least amount of pigment that will do what you need to do.

Date: March 10, 2020 09:25PM

Tom, thank you! But, that didn't answer my question. When we buy pigments from, say CRB for marbling, they come as a liquid but all colors mix something wet with their powders to achieve it. What is the carrier that CRB uses, or that US Composites uses, to develop the liquid we pour into our epoxy? So, for marbling, we can add powder or we can add CRB's epoxy colorant. I would think the powder would have fewer consequences but many of us are indeed using the liquid form. What is it that makes it liquid? Is it acrylic medium and, if so, what affect would a heavier bodied medium have? Make it really sticky or stringy? Make it more like a paste or, I'm listening to whatever you might suggest?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2020 09:31PM

You would have to call and inquire from the providers. I like crushed chalk, a solid, but that's just me.

In any case, use the minimum amount required.

Date: March 10, 2020 10:56PM

Thanks Tom!! I'll do that and report back.

Tom

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 12, 2020 10:23AM

The stuff I have is a dry powder that you add sparingly to your epoxy. Not that way anymore? It worked well.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:04PM

I've used powdered jig paint mixed with LS Supreme to color the thread wraps on some ice rod tips. Have only done it on a couple of rods. It sets up fine and is hard, but flexible when cured. Just to be sure that I'm getting good thread penetration with the epoxy, I've been using it only as a second coat so far. The LS Supreme does seem to cure a bit faster with the powder mixed in it, but it still has a long pot life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster