I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2 piece Rods
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 13, 2020 02:56PM

Phil,

To a very large degree, things like performance, accuracy are really a mute point.

Bottom line - tie a string to a tree limb with a hook and live bait and go out and catch a ton of fish.

In reality to the average fisherman, do they really care exactly how much a rod weighs, whether it is straight to the nth degree, does it cast 43 yards or 44 yards?

Doubtful.

But, by all means do what you like to do with this avocation called custom rod building. If the client is happy with what is being created and if the builder is happy to create the object that the client wants - then by all means carry on. That is what life, satisfaction and contentment about doing a great job is all about.

For myself, it is all about client satisfaction with a product that I have created.

Best wishes

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 13, 2020 03:40PM

Roger: I have a nagging suspicion that some retailers deliberately misinform innocent consumers in order to enrich themselves. I don't much care about limousine purchasers and such, but I have a soft spot for people who want to build rods and fish with them. I have little use for people who chiefly wish to enlarge their own pocketbooks or egos. I will leave the identification of such phonies to others, but I just received a fly-fishing product magazine which offerers a $135.95 set of fingernail clippers to trim your fishing knots!

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: March 13, 2020 04:38PM

Ain,t America great! I don't begrudge anyone for trying to sell something or anything for for rediculus prices.

One has no business buying an item without some sort of research or knowledge.

So hats off to the vendor selling fingernail clippers for $135.95.

I remember people buying rocks and making pets out of them.

It,s not the seller it,s the buyer.

If no one buys any they will be on sale for $4.95.

I won,t buy one at any price.

John.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 13, 2020 07:10PM

Whichever fits in your vehicle (or wherever else you would like it to fit) outperforms the other. Fact.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 13, 2020 11:48PM

Around here any way the 1 piece fly rods are as dead as the Dodos, resale is terrible.

Date: March 14, 2020 09:14AM

I see lots of fish poles resting on the tailgates of pick-up trucks and sticking out two or three feet behind the truck - some are even multi-piece rods. As long is there is there is demand for such rods there will be a brisk market for new and replacement one-piece rods.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: March 15, 2020 03:42AM

I find the two piece blanks to be much more soulfull and accurate from my testing and use.

Date: March 15, 2020 10:35AM

Terry - You neglected to mention the more delicate presentation made by two-piece blanks!

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 15, 2020 10:36AM

Terry, you must be one of those ad-writers we hear so much about..lol..keep up the good work..

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2020 02:37PM

Also, break a tip off of a 1 pc. rod and you've wasted a reel seat and grips. Unless, you want to go through the hassle (which I've done) of removing seat. The tip section of today's 2 pc rods can usually be matched and replaced for far less cost than a whole 1 pc blank, reel seat, grips and labor to replace the components.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 15, 2020 03:45PM

Terry,

Phil wrote;
" The performance of his fly rod is probably ten times more important to a fly angler than the performance of a casting or spinning rod is to the angler who uses either of these rods. And fly rod anglers have made 4-piece (3 ferrule) fly rods by FAR their most preferred fish-poles. Quality multiple-ferrule rods evidently fish, travel, and endure just swell for a big crowd of finicky anglers, if not those devoted to one-piece cane poles.

I get the feeling that Phil is looking down his nose at us spin and cast fisherman. We seem to lack the finesse and ability to select and or build rods that offer the optimum performance for our needs.

So can I glean from Phil's statement that if 4 piece 3 ferrule rods are among the "most preferred poles"., then we should suffer no ridicule by using a 2 piece 1 ferrule pole, unless poles perform better as more ferrules are added.

No offense Phil, just having fun.

I have both 1 and 2 piece rods and use them as the situation warrants.

John

Date: March 15, 2020 05:22PM

John: I speak for myself, not the people I have built rods for. I try to provide what they want. I prefer to fly fish for sport and bait fish for food. I like fresh fish and bait fish quite a bit. I don't put a lot of money into my own bait fishing rods, but watching folks with solid-glass spin rods with 2 oz. sinkers attached bounding up and down over a tailgate gives me the willies - even though it may keep some rod builders busy.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster