I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2 piece Rods
Posted by: David Hartman (216.75.200.---)
Date: March 10, 2020 09:15AM

Is it just me or is there anyone else here that does not like 2 piece rods?

And am I looking at this all wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 piece Rods
Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: March 10, 2020 09:43AM

I have converted most all my personal rods to 2 pc because they store better in my boat. Todays 2 pc blanks are as good as any 1 pc in my opinion.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 09:44AM

Hello David.

They are just a little high maintenance, that's all.

I like the 1 piece in the 50# and less, and the 2 piece(removable butt) in anything bigger.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 11:19AM

meh. Only 4 piece rods for me (fly).

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 11:49AM

I have always had issues with 2 piece rods over time:

1. The ferrule gets "slippery" and there comes that day when you make a cast, and the end of the rod goes flying through the air landing right in the middle of a school of "once in a lifetime" Redfish !

-or-

2. The ferrule gets "weak" and splits, usually when you are fighting that "once in a lifetime" Redfish!

The ONLY 2 piece rods I own and make nowadays are my beach rods which are 12 and 16 foot in length and the size of those dictate that they HAVE to be 2 piece so they can be transported in a vehicle.

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 11:54AM

After using solely 2 piece rods up until I learned to build rods, I now only use 1 piece rods (minus fly rods). I have had the 'flying rod' happen way too often when trying to get a lure out just a little further. Granted 1 piece rods are bit of a pain to move around indoors (doors, walls, ceiling fans) but they are substantially better in my opinion.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 10, 2020 11:54AM

You are not looking at it wrong it's your opinion and that 's OK.

Let me start by saying that there are lot of 2 piece rods for sale and in use.

It’s not a matter of liking them or not, it’s a matter of convenience or necessity. There are those out there that do not drive pick-ups or vans or tow boats.

It’s a challenge to transport a number of 7 + ft rods in most passenger cars. It's also a challenge to hike through the woods with a 7+ft rod.
I have 1 and 2 piece rods and switch between them depending on whom, how and where I fish.

The bottom line is if you like fishing and for whatever reason you are limited to a 2 or more piece rod the question is moot.

IMO

Have fun.

John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2020 12:07PM

Good quality multi-piece rods are every bit as good and dependable as any 1-piece rod. But be aware that there are some cheaper type multi-piece rods that aren't very good. If we're comparing apples to apples, then no, I have no fear of multi-piece rods and prefer them in many cases.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:17PM

I have been using 2 piece rods for years and years with no issues. I have a 11 and a half foot float rod,1 piece and I'd never be able to take it anywhere! My longer steelhead and surf rods are 2 piece,as are some trout rods. No issues.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 06:08PM

I think two piece are two fewer pieces than I prefer ! LOL I only build fly rods and 4 pieces are the current norm.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 06:22PM

Some candle wax on the male ferrules of your multi-piece rods will stop unwanted separations.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 08:49PM

When I first started building rods, most were two piece. Then things switched to one piece spinning and casting rods. In fact, I recently told a friend I couldn’t give away a two piece rod down here in the South. Well within the past few months I got orders for more two piece rods then I have built in the past ten years, all from different people. I guess things go around.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 09:08PM

2 pc. or more rod quality has improved vastly in semi-recent years. I have no problem with them.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 09:21PM

ferrules are so much improved..stronger.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 11, 2020 01:14AM

David,
Logically, it is safe to say that a single piece rod will outperform its sister multi-piece rod, even if employing the widely-accepted, CAD CAM designed, wazoo tip-over-butt ferrules. That being said, transportation, storage and other factors can dictate a compromise is required. Oddly enough, Robert and I are opposite in our thinking; my lighter trout stuff is virtually all multi-piece while my heaver saltwater rods are single-piece. To summarize, leave it single-piece unless situations dictate otherwise. If so, then purchase a quality blank/rod as Tom suggested or make your own similar to my CARL ferrule system.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 11, 2020 10:49AM

For a century, or more we have had ferruled rods, I've been using them for 64 years, I 've had one fly rod fail just above the ferrule, ripping out, leaving the ferrule unharmed on the rod, and that's it. The vast majority of salmon and steelhead rods over all those years have had zero ferrule failures, so few it doesn't deserve mention. Hooksets on wood and rocks are an everyday occurence, everything people think is a special circumstance in their arena is not. Surf anglers correlate to plunkers fishing salmon and steelhead, etc.

Date: March 11, 2020 12:04PM

The performance of his fly rod is probably ten times more important to a fly angler than the performance of a casting or spinning rod is to the angler who uses either of these rods. And fly rod anglers have made 4-piece (3 ferrule) fly rods by FAR their most preferred fish-poles. Quality multiple-ferrule rods evidently fish, travel, and endure just swell for a big crowd of finicky anglers, if not those devoted to one-piece cane poles.

Posted by: David Hartman (216.75.200.---)
Date: March 11, 2020 04:01PM

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I appreciate the good input.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 07:54PM

A question for Mark T. ...............................what are the ways they "outperform?"

Date: March 13, 2020 12:18PM

And is this "outperformance" been published in in feet, inches, or millimeters, and where, and by who? A statement of fact needs factual evidence.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster