I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoat Variable Speed finishing motor
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2020 08:58PM

Hi all,
I have building for fly rods for about 20 years.
Started turning by hand as I applied finish.
Turned the blank by hand as the finish cured.
Then bought a PAC 6 rpm motors and steadies.
Today I used my new Flexcoat variable speed - maximum 200 RPM.

I can't believe how fast to got the job done - and so much better.
Don't know how I finished wraps without it.

Only issue is that there is a slight "wobble".
I don't know if it is due to the machine or the connection to the blank causing the wobble.
I'll call John at Flexcoat tomorrow. John designed the motor.
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoat Variable Speed finishing motor
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 09, 2020 09:35AM

I remember when the only motors that were easily available were rotisserie motors. If you were lucky you salvaged one from the trash. They work fine as dryer motors. Today there are so many motors available at a reasonable cost that it becomes confusing.
I like synchronous motors for drying they are efficient and quiet. Turning a blank does not require much torque which makes them perfect for the job. It is just a matter of picking the speed you are comfortable with.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 09, 2020 10:43AM

Herb,
To check the wobble or run out, remove parts from the end of the motor.
Then, with only the motor running, put a point like the end of a compass into the center of the spinning shaft of the motor. There should be essentially 0 run out.

Then, add the clutch, if your setup came with a clutch and repeat for run out at the end of the clutch.

Then, add the chuck, and put a point on the side of the chuck as the motor spins.

Since the motor and clutch are all machines parts, but the chuck is an injected molded parts, I would guess that the slight runout is either caused by the chuck or the replaceable face of the chuck. If the run out is coming from the face of the chuck, it may be possible to make a slight adjustment in the face of the chuck to negate the runout of the chuck.

By the way, wobble or runout - is one parameter that tends to go down as the price of the chuck goes up.

One reason why very high quality machinist chuck's run in the hundreds or thousands of dollars.

But, yes absolutely, the Flexcoat finishing system works very well and has been used by many many rod builders in different deigns to apply finish with great results.

Take care

Date: March 09, 2020 10:46AM

John,
I have 2 drying motors.
I don't use the Flexcoat 200 rpm motor for that. I use it to apply finish to the wraps.
Read many times that a faster rpm makes for better work. Didn't believe it until now.
Her

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 09, 2020 10:57AM

For several years, I have been using my power wrapper to apply finish. Finger tip control with the foot pedal and high, low or middle speed available for finish application.

I just place pieces of light cardboard under the rod between the rod rests to catch any of the likely finish that may end up on the surface below the rod when having finish applied to avoid getting rod finish on the bed of the wrapper.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 09, 2020 02:41PM

My first drier was made from a microwave carousel motor and it's supplied drive hub, centered as best I could before epoxying the plastic pipe cap on, it had a slight wobble that hurt nothing in use, of course it wasn't rotating at 200 rpm either.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 09, 2020 03:49PM

Herb,
I agree that the FlexCoat chucks, slip-clutches included, work very well, although as you mentioned, the hole in the thin rubber faceplate may not seem to be centered precisely. While it is usually not of much concern, when I do need concentricity, I have been able to push down on the high side of the installed blank until it is pretty dang close. This leads me to believe that even if the hole in the faceplate were perfectly centered, inserting a blank may end-up off-center anyway; after all, the faceplate is only stretchy rubber. Although I have not seen them advertised by rod building suppliers, FlexCoat offers replacement faceplates with 2 different size holes; the popular larger hole which is the only one I have seen and a smaller hole version. With the smaller hole version mounted on the housing, a rigidly held xacto knife can be used to cut any diameter hole required and pretty much perfectly centered. Hope this helps.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2020 05:20PM

Herb

Thanks for trying the variable speed motor. I would like to say that I am in no way the single mastermind behind the whole deal, there were a few contributors to the idea (one in particular was a great help) and they know who they are ;)

There is nothing like finishing a rod at higher speed. I mean it. I literally fall asleep even thinking about doing it slower or by hand, but some would disagree...

As far as the wobble, there are three different components coming together that all have tight tolerances. The motor shaft, the brass clutch and the plastic chuck (all made in the USA). These tolerances are within a reasonable amount short of maybe sending a man to mars. Even with a very slight wobble, it is possible to make a correction with the self adjusting chuck.

With the self adjusting chuck, you can correct the trueness of the rod by pushing it in and twisting it. This will naturally find the center and with the addition of the rod supports the rod will spin wobble free.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 05:25PM by John Cates.

Date: March 09, 2020 09:18PM

mark,
You were right on the mark. Since the diaphragm is soft it tends to behave as it wants. So pushing the blank around to make the "hole" concentric provides the best outcome. Runout still present - but less.
Seems as though a jawed chuck would have been a better choice for Flexcoat.
Thanks,
Herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 10, 2020 01:01AM

Herb,
In FlexCoat’s defense, not every rod builder has a power wrapper and those who do will find that attempting to install a three of four jaw chuck requires purchasing an upgraded headstock which will accept the chuck along with appropriate pulleys and belts and miscellaneous other hardware to make it all work.
I recently upgraded my original, self-built power wrapper to include a Taig headstock and 3-jaw chuck, more powerful motor to turn grips, a variable speed foot petal as well as the option to adjust the speed from the control box and rotation reversibility as I had designed into the first unit. Unless I am turning a grip, 90% of the other time I have a FlexCoat slip-clutch chucked up in the three jaw chuck. Not only do I use it for its original intent of applying finish, but for thread wrapping as well; it makes backing-up easy when needed and also allows me to fine-tune the thread tension. For curing finish in my three-station cabinet, the regular FlexCoat chucks are employed.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 10, 2020 12:46PM

Not only is there added expense and hassle with a jawed chuck, unless you lock them with a set screw they are not secure. I wonder how many rods have fallen out of jawed chucks?

My goal with our line of variable speed DC motors is to offer the best quality motor, that is hassle free from belts and complicated chucks, but features our original USA made slip clutch and self adjusting chuck, all for an affordable price. I believe we have done that and there are more models on the way.

Flex Coat Company
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: March 10, 2020 03:27PM

John
You mean I didn't get the latest and greatest?
Should I have waited?
Herb

Date: March 10, 2020 04:16PM

Not at all. We will be offering different models with different speeds and different price points and features. You bought a great motor that we will continue to sell.

Flex Coat Company
www.flexcoat.com

Date: March 10, 2020 07:49PM

Thank you John.
Just yanking your chain.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster