I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blanks, source, availability
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 07, 2020 11:13AM

Approximately what percentage of rod blanks are actually made in versus imported to the U.S.A.? Any idea how the coronavirus epidemic in Asia will affect the availability and cost of rod blanks in the U.S.A.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blanks, source, availability
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 07, 2020 11:40AM

Phil,
I can guarantee that when folks look back at the year 2020 from the future of 2050, they will be able to tell exactly what the effect of the illness had on the availability and cost of rod blanks in the USA.

From my reading, it appears that a lot of factories are being reopened and many folks are going back to work in the Far East.

[www.bloomberg.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 11:42AM by roger wilson.

Date: March 07, 2020 12:36PM

Getting information 30 years after it's needed it is not very helpful. Will U.S. blank manufacturers, protected by our superior healthcare system, be able to expand production to keep up with the demand? I suppose that depends upon the percentage of U.S. made blanks in the rod blank market?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2020 02:57PM

The cost of expanding production will only be born if a shortage is being experienced! Doing otherwise is a negative economic pursuit!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 07, 2020 05:26PM

Not so sure about our superior healthcare system, last I heard we were rated #37.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-198-50-155.net)
Date: March 07, 2020 06:21PM

Yes but the counties rated ahead of us all seem to have their people wanting to come to the U.S. if they need serious medical care. Funny how that works.The death toll from corona virus is not likely to be as high here as it is in counties with less developed health care. The head of the CDC said this morning it would likely fall into the same range as the common flu, about 1/2 of one percent or something like that. Good to be prepared but it's not anywhere close to becoming an epidemic... yet. In the meantime not all factories in China have closed. Blanks continue to come into the U.S.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2020 08:48PM

From what I have heard through sources with factory contacts is that there was a mandatory closer of many of the non-essential type plants that included general products for export and it did effect the plant that I know about that produces rod blanks. They are apparently going to re-open and begin limited production and eventually get the plant back up starting this week. I believe there were going to screen all the workers coming back to work. Hopefully all will go well and we won't see too much inflation. This coming week will most likely be the indicator of how it will go. From what I have seen here following the news is that mortality rates are highest among the elderly. The mainstream media in it's infinite wisdom leaves this small amount of information out in order to sell their product. The reason why countries like China (Asian) may seem to take this as a greater threat, than say the US, is the fact that they revere the elderly whereas in the US we put youth in that position. For instance; Greta Thunberg, why do we care what an ignorant 16-17 year old child thinks or says, but for some reason western civilizations and the media do.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 07, 2020 09:05PM

Lance, your starting to sound like a cranky OLD man..lol..but you,ll grow out of it in a year or two..lol.

Posted by: David Miller (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 08, 2020 09:14AM

Why is there so many worrying about building rods when everybody is going to live in a bubble and not go outside to go fishing anymore.

The common flu has been killing people with weakened immune systems everyday and people aren’t going nuts about it.

Date: March 08, 2020 10:10AM

I still would like to know approximately what percentage of rod blanks sold in the U.S.A. were made in the U.S.A.. I don't particularly care about the age of the responder, only the accuracy of the information?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2020 10:35AM

Let's get back to the original question - what percentage of blanks sold to U.S. custom builders are made in the USA. I'm going to include all of North America and say that you'd most likely be looking at about 25%.

Date: March 08, 2020 10:54AM

Thanks, Tom. [And I did not mean to imply you are too old to believe!]

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 08, 2020 09:37PM

Yeah! Imported viruses have been killing Americans for 300 years, what's the big deal anyway? Just don't touch your face.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 09, 2020 10:55AM

Lynn,
Absolutely do not minimize the Novell 19 coronovirus.

The reason for concern are two fold.

1. The longevity of the virus - once out of the body. i,e, if a person who has the virus coughs and the cough droplets that get expelled and contain the virus may lie on a surface and remain contagious for several days. This in contrast to most other illnesses where the virus is only contagious for a few minutes of an hour or so.

2. Currently, there is no defined and approved medicine to treat the virus, nor is there any vaccine to prevent getting the virus. It is up to your own bodies immune system to get you well. Unfortunately for older patients - especially with respiratory or heart related conditions, the body may fail to sustain life.

3. Follow the guidelines to avoid contact with the virus is currently the best plan of action.

4. Speed of the spread. Essentially the illness was first reported about the first day of 2020. Here we are 10 weeks into the spread, and the illness has spread to every continent in the world with the exception of antarctic and has affected many folks.

But, you can also compare this to the various forms of flu in the USA for 2019-2020.

"Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.Feb 11, 2020"

So, yes Lynn, this is a very big deal - especially if you happen to be one of the folks that contract the illness.

Take care

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 09, 2020 06:23PM

Roger, I was attempting to be facetious! Too many are making light of this threat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster