I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP dry time
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 05, 2020 10:34PM

How long should I let my CP dry before I put the finish on.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP dry time
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 05, 2020 10:41PM

24-48 hours or less, depending on the circumstances and brand of cp. You need to do some testing on a garbage blank to be 100% sure of your process. Remember, everyone does thing a bit difference. So, even though one recommendation might say one thing, someone else says something else, you need to listen to the advice, but then test for yourself, to be sure that you have the process nailed, as you do things, before you do the work on your final rod that is being finished.

Take care

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: March 05, 2020 11:54PM

You also have to take into consideration the thickness of the thread for saturation, also the amount that is sitting in the tunnel or voids between the thread, guide, and blank

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2020 12:42AM

Anything less than 24 hours is risky.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2020 07:45AM

It needs to be dry, so however long that takes. Assuming you're doing this indoors in normal room temperature conditions, generally at least overnight (12 hours) although waiting a bit longer isn't a bad thing.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 06, 2020 11:13AM

I always start with the manufacturers recommendation and as I gain experience I may depart somewhat. My bottle of Flex Coat of "COLOR PRESERVER & THREAD SEALER" for drying time directions are;

"DRYING TIME- approx 1 hr. Drying time may be longer if low temperature and high humidity conditions exist. Drying time can be accelerated with application of heat-blow dryer".

For me 3-4 hours is usually enough but as Tom says waiting a bit longer isn't a bad thing.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2020 01:30PM

If you are doing simple wraps and no under-wraps or weaves then depending on your humidity as John stated on the bottle of Flex Coat. If you are doing weaves and other excessive thread work then 12-24 hours is not a bad idea. I have done 1-2 hours plenty of times with Flex Coat and have had no problems.

Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 07, 2020 07:32PM

What would be the result of putting finish on to early?

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 07, 2020 08:17PM

CP is mostly water and causes nylon thread to relax a goodly bit..drying lets the thread wrap go back to it,s original tension..also i don,t think you get the best finish adherance on damp wraps..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2020 03:02AM

In addition, trapped moisture under the epoxy coating can adversely effect not only the adherence, but also the appearance as the epoxy may turn cloudy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster