I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread issue maybe, I guess
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 05, 2020 04:16PM

Put finish on top layer of a tiger wrap. Pac Bay cobalt blue nylon. Stepped away for 5-6 minutes and when I came back to it spots, flecks, clumps of what I can only assume were blue dye were peppered throughout the wrap. The separation between the top layer threads over a lighter bottom layer made it quite easy to see. Had it been a normal wrap tightly packed I'm not sure it would have been visible. I did not touch the thread when applying the finish and hit it very lightly with a heat gun before stepping away. Never seen the likes of this. Anyone else? I can tell you it was a messy job pulling the coated thread off. Wiped it down with DNA to clean it up. Now if I can decide what to clean the DNA off with before re-wrapping I'll be in good shape. This was the 10th color I tried for the top layer before choosing one. (the road to nowhere)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread issue maybe, I guess
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 05, 2020 10:39PM

Lynn,
I expect that you should put that spool of thread in quarantine, before you use it again.

Do a test wrap on a different blank - using this spool of thread, and then do another test wrap using a different spool of thread following the identical process that you used on your main wrap originally.

Make sure that you isolate the issue with the overall wrap and what ever you do, do not repeat the issue on a rod to be used.

By the way, I don't really think that you need to do anything to wipe off or change the rod before going back to work on it. However, let everything dry out for a week to let time do its thing and completely evaporate any residue of the DNA that might still be remaining on or in the threads of the wrap.

Best wishes.

Date: March 06, 2020 09:26PM

Thanks Roger, this wrap's the only thing on the blank so far so not bad to clean up. Washed it with dish soap and water and rinsed it well. I think the thread's going in the garbage. I have a sister spool in a similar color to substitute. Just a funny thing!

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 07, 2020 12:01PM

Hmm... I have no idea what thats about.. I used that spool not to long ago.. Sorry for possible contamination... Now im worried about all my thread.. However i havent done anything obscure in my wrapping area lately.. I used my fuji neon green recently without any issues... I wonder if it has something to do with your thread preserver.. I dont use it very often.. Sorry it took me so long to read this lynn..

Date: March 07, 2020 09:14PM

No CP just thread and finish. Tried another spool today from the same batch, same result. At this point it's the thread, whatever the cause. And Anthony, I wasn't calling you out as to the source. lol Could'a been me just as well! So, you want the thread back or what?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 08, 2020 11:04AM

Lynn,
You indicated that you used another spool from the same batch with the same result.

Do yourself a favor and use an entirely different thread, perhaps a different color from a different source and see if you get the same result.

If you do get the same result, it is likely that the issue is NOT the thread but what you are putting on the thread.

By the way, I have used the Pac Bay cobalt blue on rods before with no issues. But, none of the wraps that I competed were tiger wraps.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster