I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave guides, long rod
Posted by: Levi Bakker (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 02, 2020 09:21PM

I'm going to be building my first Microwave rod - a 7 ft with a 3500 size reel. As I learn more about it, and how awesome it's supposed to be, I'm wondering if the kits work on longer rods with larger reels? Like a 10ft steelhead rod with a 4000 size reel is what I'm thinking.

I figure I'll probably need extra running guides for a rod that size, but I'm more curious about the spacing for the stripper 2nd and first running guide. The spacing that comes with the kit only talks about rods up to 7.5 feet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guides, long rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2020 11:00PM

That is correct, all you need on a longer rod is more running guides. Line control off the reel is over with by the time the line passes the butt and second guides.

Date: March 03, 2020 12:22AM

Thanks Tom!

Do you know if there is anything that needs to be considered as far as stripper guide placement considering it's going to be a bigger reel? Everything I've read says that the standard stripper placement is based on testing with 1500-3000 size reels.

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2020 12:40AM

Levi you would probably be ok with MW20s on that reel but as reel sizes go up microwave guides also come in bigger sizes. I use MW30s on my inshore rods and MW50s are good for bigger surf reels.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2020 08:02AM

In a pinch, you can always test cast with a few slightly different butt guide positions. I would also consider the MW30 as a butt guide on a 4000 series reel.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 03, 2020 09:38AM

For a 10 foot rod and 4000 reel you cannot go wrong with the MicroWave 30 guides..

If the smaller ones suit you better, simply static test the running guides.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Date: March 04, 2020 08:49AM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

I was looking at the MW30 system for use with the larger reel, but everything I found showed it as being double foot strippers and transitions. Do they make a single foot version?

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 09:47PM

Sorry,but 7 ft. rod is not long rod.I was building many long rods over 10 ft. (i don't fish with shorter rods-i am fishing from the bank) and for one 10.30 ft. spinning rod i was using just 6 SIC MATCH guides ( long legs ) and fishing with DAIWA WHISKER SS TOURNAMENT 1300 i was catching on jigs many nice fish without problems. Many 7 ft .spinning rods 6-7 guides !!!

Date: March 11, 2020 10:05PM

Jean Scurtu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry,but 7 ft. rod is not long rod.I was building
> many long rods over 10 ft. (i don't fish with
> shorter rods-i am fishing from the bank) and for
> one 10.30 ft. spinning rod i was using just 6 SIC
> MATCH guides ( long legs ) and fishing with DAIWA
> WHISKER SS TOURNAMENT 1300 i was catching on jigs
> many nice fish without problems. Many 7 ft
> .spinning rods 6-7 guides !!!

I agree, 7 ft rod is not a long rod, but in my original post I was asking about the MicroWave guide system on a 10ft steelhead float rod.

I was also asking specifically about the MicroWave guide system which is very different than SiC Match guides.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 07:58PM

LEVI,

Please try the SIC MATCH guides because are very good guides.With one telescopic graphite rod ( bolognese ) built by me on 16.4 ft. high modulus carbon Triana Special Competition GRAND SLAM VHS 140 ( made in Italy by Gabriele Tubertini ). I was building this rod using SIC MATCH guides,and fishing with jig from the bank in salt water ( ROLLOVER PASS,BOLIVAR PENINSULA,TEXAS ) with FIRELINE SMOKE 4 lb. i was able to catch one 40 inch,23 lb. red fish without problem.I DON'T TELL YOU MY REEL WAS ONE ULTRA-LITE REEL FOR PANFISH ( ABU- CARDINAL STAMINA DRAG 600U ).

Using the same SIC MATCH guides for some spinning rods buiit by me on ALL STAR FLY blanks W5,W5( rods over 10 ft. ) and fishing with FIRELINE SMOKE 4 lb.+ fluorocarbon SEAGUAR leader 4 lb.,jig EAGLE CLAW 1/16 oz. i was catching many fish (fishing for white bass ) 15 lb.(flathead catfish,buffalo carp,paddle fish -C&R- and long nopse gar fish.

I CAN TELL YOU USING THI GUIDES YOU MUST BE HAPPY !!!

GOOD LUCK !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster