I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Corona virus and rod parts
Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2020 08:56PM

I’ve been a bit curious about this and it was reinforced that morning when we all got a e mail at work from one of our suppliers saying our shipments were in quarantine since they were coming from infected parts of China.
Will this type of quarantine effect rod parts, and blanks?
Just asking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corona virus and rod parts
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 02, 2020 09:22PM

I hope so. I'll die a rodbuilder, but hopefully not from this.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 02, 2020 10:17PM

I doubt if there is an issue. The parts/components you receive are not in the the original shipping boxes from overseas so the only concern may be the parts themselves and they can easily be disinfected prior to use.

Rod building components are not the only thing that comes from China so handle the rod stuff the same as you would for all the other items you get from china.

Looks like we roll the dice and take our chances.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 03, 2020 07:52AM

i don,t think virus live outside of a host very long..

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2020 09:03AM

According to the news, it can last several weeks

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 03, 2020 09:56AM

The solution: Buy American! No bio hazards.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2020 10:18AM

We are made in the USA!

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: March 03, 2020 10:48AM

everybody in the whole world would be infected by now if the virus lasted several weeks on surfaces..asian products are everywhere, not just rod building products..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2020 11:13AM

None of the port cities, capital, or major manufacturing cities are hot spots. The disease does in 6 to 10 days of leaving it's host. So there is a delay getting on the boat, a 15 - 30 day trip here, 2 weeks getting out of the port, getting through a distribution center and packed to ship to a specific business. Wash your hands a lot, don't bring your hands to your face, and use obvious precautions, play hookie and build rods.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 03, 2020 11:13AM

All Viruses require a host cell to infect in order to survive and replicate. Outside of a cell they can not multiply and most don’t survive very long.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 03, 2020 12:11PM

Remain vigilant.

It is estimated that possibly up to 70% of the entire population of the entire world might -- i,e, might contract the virus. For tha vast vast majority of the folks that contract the virus, it will seem to be nothing more than a case of a bad cold.

So, yes, it is quite possible that at one time in the future - the virus could very well be in the site that ships American made products from American suppliers here in America.

Certainly, that is NOT at all the case right now, but that does not mean you should not follow approved common sense health practices, like washing your hands and in general live and breath in a generally safe and free of bad things that may affect your health.

As I said at the start of the post, just be vigilant and use common sense with respect to keeping your self healthy.

Take care

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2020 01:20PM

I think part of what I was more concerned/interested in is what will this do to parts inventory levels. If the workers in Asia aren’t making parts and blanks, how long before it effects our suppliers.

Date: March 03, 2020 06:47PM

Gary, I've waited 4 months for a Pac Bay reelseat in good times. Who can guess what the effects might be?

Date: March 03, 2020 09:13PM

According to the news reports, is that a lot of the Factories are reopening and folks are going back to work.
So, we will likely live with this new virus in the world for the foreseeable future, just like the common cold and the many variations of the flu.

We will also cope with this as the peoples of the world cope with all of the other things that have come down the pick.

Pick up your sticks and get building.

Be safe

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: March 04, 2020 09:49AM

DO NOT mindlessly pop the bubble wrap in your shipments. That's Chinese air in there! lol

Date: March 04, 2020 07:16PM

No need to worry, as I understand it Washington has the situation well in hand!

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: March 04, 2020 07:42PM

#1 I'd buy in America all the time IF I could find what I wanted without having to my child .

#2 This virus isn't any worse than the Hong Kong Flu and most all of us that had it lived . These flus / virus's all will kill a certain amount of people and we all have to go sometime .

Date: March 04, 2020 08:40PM

One worthwhile reply to this thread! It's been fun though.

Date: March 04, 2020 08:53PM

yea, play hooky..lol.

Date: March 04, 2020 10:13PM

Ron,
I wish what you said was true. But not exactly:

Hong Kong Flu Deaths
In comparison to other pandemics, the Hong Kong flu yielded a low death rate, with a case-fatality ratio below 0.5% making it a category 2 disease on the Pandemic Severity Index. The pandemic infected an estimated 500,000 Hong Kong residents, 15% of the population.

So, the Hong Kong flue had a death rate of about .5% and infected about 15% of the population.
Preliminary estimates for virus 19 is that the infection rate may rise to 70% with a death rate of 2%.
-------------------------------
But who knows?
Follow common sense and recommended health practices by frequent washing of your hands, keeping your hands away from your eyes and face and if you have to cough, cough into your elbow so that you do not get sneeze droplets on your hand where they may rub off on something that others may touch.
-------------------------------
But, in the main time, lets all get on with our lives and if we follow good practices and in the unlikely possibility that some of may become ill, it is also very likely that we will also fully recover.

So, prepare for the worst, but in the main time lets all get on with our lives and enjoy building beautiful rods and catch lots of fighting fish when the chance arises.

Take care

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Webmaster