I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hooded spinning seat
Posted by: Mike Laver (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: February 29, 2020 01:06PM

Would anyone know of a skeleton reel seat for a spinning rod that the foregrip can be hooded, cr2 cork could be used if required, and will accomodate a Shimano 3000 or similar. I have searched all the suppliers and haven't been able to find one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hooded spinning seat
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 29, 2020 05:35PM

Here is the Fuji KSKSS. It has a hooded nut but you will most likely need to cut the barrel down a little to completely conceal the thread. [www.mudhole.com]

Split reel seats for spinning reels are a little uncomfortable to cast all day, I would recommend a one piece with a pronounced palm pad. There are quite a few to choose from.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 29, 2020 08:32PM

All of the Fuji hidden thread hoods can be bought individually, I.e. KDPS, KSKSS/ASH, TVSK/ASH, and HPS. These hidden thread hoods will fit many appropriately sized threaded barrels of non Fuji reel seats, such as the PacBay Minima reel seats. In addition, the threaded barrels and fixed hoods can be bought separately, allowing you to build your own skeleton reel seat. Not difficult to do. As Lance mentioned, depending on the hood used, you may need to trim the threaded barrel a little to accommodate the hood with the appropriate cork fore grip sleeve. Make sure you do this before gluing the fore grip sleeve in place. Basically trim off any threads that extends beyond the hood barrel when the hood is fully screwed down. I’m not a fan of split reels seats but some people love them. An alternative reel seat that I find comfortable are the Fuji VSS and IPS reel seats, the hidden thread hood fit them just fine, and the reel seat bodies can also be bought individually.
Norm

Date: March 01, 2020 07:52AM

Thanks for the suggestions, a friend saw one he liked on a fishing forum I have posted the picture in the photo section, I have ben making my own inserts.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 01, 2020 11:59AM

The reel seat shown uses a skeleton fly rod reel seat, which has been customized.There are a number of skeleton fly rod reel seats available from different manufacturers. The shown reel seat does not use a hidden thread hood, but rather the fixed hood is hidden by inlaying it into the cork grip. You should have no problems finding a suitable reel seat. Just make sure the hoods fit the feet of the spinning reel.
Norm

Date: March 01, 2020 03:24PM

Thanks Norman, that's the direction I was going in. I purchased one for a spey rod that I hoped would work but it wasn't large enough to accept the reel foot, I am going to ask a supplier if they have one that would work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster