I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip top slightly large
Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2020 08:58AM

I’m finishing up a build (Sage Method 8wt). I have two tip tops,Snake and REC, which are correctly sized by measurement but when dry fit on the tip seem a little loose. I tried a wrap of A size thread but that was too tight. Should I go with the tip top as is or does anyone have another solution?

I’m planning on a finish wrap but was only planning on taking the wrap to the bottom of the tube.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip top slightly large
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 29, 2020 09:20AM

Mike,
Go with the tip you have. Just make sure that you have plenty of tip adhesive inside the tip as well as on the tip top of the blank before you slip them together. The adhesive will take up the slack.
To insure that the inside of the tip is well coated with tip cement, I use a sharpened piece of piano wire that I heat up along with the tip adhesive, get enough adhesive on the sharpened tip of the piano wire and insert it into the tip top that I am applying to the tip of the rod.
Then, I heat up the bulk tip adhesive and insure that the outside of the tip of the rod is well coated with adhesive. Finally, I heat both, slip them together, align the tip and then use a craft stick to remove any excess adhesive while the adhesive is still hot.

Best wishes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 09:23AM by roger wilson.

Date: February 29, 2020 09:51AM

Thanks Roger. I usually pack the tube with slivers if tip top glue but I’ll add some to the rod tip as well.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 29, 2020 11:23AM

Mike,
Forget the measurement.
Why not go down half a size??
Herb

Date: February 29, 2020 11:43AM

Herb - the half size was too small. I loaded up the hot glue and it seems to fit ok. Thanks

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 29, 2020 12:08PM

gotcha
hate that
herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 01, 2020 12:40AM

Mike,
If the next ½ size smaller tip top is too small, then the one you have is perfect! There will be the correct clearance between the tip top and blank to avoid wiping all the hot-melt off as the tip top is slid into position.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Harder (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2020 11:23AM

Hey Mike,

For me, it is best when the tip tops are somewhat loose. Can't always get it though. This is a bit uncomfortable but, I heat up the Glue Stick I use (I buy the high heat, high adhesive sticks from SureBonder) and while fairly hot I touch my index finger on the end and roll off a round small piece of the glue stick (small enough to fit inside the tip top) and I slide it inside the tip top. Sounds like you do something similar. Then I heat the stick up again and smear/roll it on the end of the blank. Then, when I'm ready, I heat them both together, using something like Sterno or an Alcohol Burner, then slide them together and rotate to make sure the glue is evenly distributed. Careful, it gets hot! I hold it until it cools a little, they can slide off because of internal pressure. I end up with a large ring of glue around the tip top foot. Let it cool then peel it off. It can come out the end as well. Just peel that off as well.

There has been significant problems reported by rod owners and builders that, when left in a very hot vehicle, or any place where the sun hits it or where temperature can be significant, the tip top glue will soften and the tip top will come off. I went to a high heat glue stick because of what I've read on the matter (here and other forums). It's rougher on my fingers when I roll it up but I hope it's worthwhile. Many builders wrap and finish over the top of the foot and I'm sure it measurably helps. I don't wrap onto the foot of the ones I build though. It's a personal preference issue.

I know you already have your process but I thought I'd offer my experience. Maybe something in there could help you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster