I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Altering REC Titanium Snake Guide
Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2020 11:06AM

As I stated in earlier posts, I'm a new builder.

I was wrapping a couple of snake guides last night, and noticed when I finished that the width of the wraps varied on of the guides. It took me a minute, but I figured out that the length the the guide feet (on only one guide) were different.

So..to get the width of the wraps to look uniform, I need to file off the end of the one of the guide feet.

I don't know much about materials yet, but am I safe in assuming these titanium guides are a solid material, not coated, and that either way it's safe to grind down one side to get uniformity, as long as the end of the guide is smooth to keep from damaging the thread?

Many thanks -

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Altering REC Titanium Snake Guide
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 28, 2020 11:51AM

Tom,
There is an even simpler solution.
Find the guide with the longest foot. Measure it. Then make all of your wraps be the same length as the wrap that you use for the longest foot. Perfect appearance with minimal trouble.

But, if you wish, sure go ahead and make the long feet shorter. File, sand or grind. These methods all work fine. I routinely do this for some brands of guide feet that I use. I will sometimes use a brand of guide feet that I need to use for a specific client or blank related reason. But, for some of those brands, I am not necessarily satisfied with the shape, size and or length of a guide foot. So, that is where my powered 1x30 inch belt sander comes into play. I normally keep 150,180, or 220 grit paper on the sander. I use the belt that is appropriate for the needs and will reshape, thin, or other wise modify the guide foot to do the job that I wish it to do. I will then restore the color of the foot using appropriate materials for the foot in question and build it into the rod.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2020 12:05PM

Perfect. Thanks for both tips.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2020 12:32PM

Tom,
Another thing to look out for when you come across this, is to make sure you have the right sized guide. I have had this happen to me before because a lot of the time these small guides can get mixed up with the guides in the storage bin next to the ones you want. This can happen at your house or the place you are buying from. Its a good idea to lay out the guide train in the order of position and make sure you have the right sizes.

Altering guide feet is common and Roger's method is spot on.

Lance

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2020 07:45PM

Tim,
REC S/F often have legs of unequal length.I always use the shortest leg as the first guide after the tip-top. And grade them with the longest at the butt end.
I have never found the snakes with different length legs.
What sometimes happens with the snakes - because they are so flexible - is that if you are not careful wrapping and re-positioning them their rings either get spread out or compressed. So it looks as though you have installed different size guides.
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 29, 2020 10:05AM

Tom,
If you try the REC single foots, fly, or spinning, don't use power to grind the foot, they are held together by a low temp solder and they'll split.

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 29, 2020 10:09AM

Gentlemen-

Thanks again.

One leg is actually about 1.5mm longer than the other - just on that one guide. So, I'm going to trim one end down.

The tips given will really help planning my next build. I'm at a point where I don't know enough to know what I don't know - so this board and your help is invaluable.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: March 01, 2020 09:28PM

I have used piles of REC guides over the years and the feet do vary a bit. In fact I only use REC guides on fly rods, both single and double foots. Roger is exactly right, just make the wraps a consistent length and don't worry about the length of the leg. It is not a thing anyone will ever notice, not even you. These are great guides and the shaping of this material at home is not easy. So I don't alter them at all, other than a bit of edge tapering. I have never had one get damaged or anything else. They are tough, perfect, corrosion free, light and the only way to go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster